Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Looking for babysitter/housekeeper for school year
1  2  Next

evi

Post Fri, Aug 19 2022, 10:57 am
I'd like hours of 830-230, with the end time flexible. Pay 15/hr preferably on the books. Someone good with kids and willing to do housekeeping while the baby is sleeping.

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Fri, Aug 19 2022, 11:00 am
evi wrote:
I'd like hours of 830-230, with the end time flexible. Pay 15/hr preferably on the books. Someone good with kids and willing to do housekeeping while the baby is sleeping.

You may want to specify your location, but I don't know anywhere where $15 an hour on the books is normal pay for this kind of work unless they're live in

amother
NeonOrange

Post Fri, Aug 19 2022, 11:04 am
evi wrote:

You will not find someone for $15 an hour because their take home pay is less.

I pay $15 an hour and I know that's the on the low end and hard to find. I give her more hours though so the weekly pay works out a lot higher.

Hatzlacha!

evi

Post Fri, Aug 19 2022, 11:20 am
amother NeonOrange wrote:
You will not find someone for $15 an hour because their take home pay is less.

I pay $15 an hour and I know that's the on the low end and hard to find. I give her more hours though so the weekly pay works out a lot higher.

Hatzlacha!

How many hours do you give and how do you pay

amother
NeonOrange

Post Fri, Aug 19 2022, 11:34 am
evi wrote:
How many hours do you give and how do you pay

36-40

Cash

evi

Post Fri, Aug 19 2022, 11:41 am
What's the difference between take-home pay and gross pay usually? Is it just social security and Medicare? Or do I have to account for other stuff too?

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Fri, Aug 19 2022, 11:58 am
You may be better off finding a college kid with afternoon and evening classes/ the days you don't need, but they prob won't want to clean for that price

amother
Buttercup

Post Fri, Aug 19 2022, 12:06 pm
She'd go home with around $13 an hour. $15 an hour is very little pay for the work you're describing. Young teens in my neighborhood get $12 an hour for babysitting sleeping children. I can't imagine anyone that would want to babysit children that are awake, and do housework, for under $30 an hour.

evi

Post Fri, Aug 19 2022, 12:12 pm
How much is reasonable but still on the lower end as this will be a huge expense for me...

amother
Buttercup

Post Fri, Aug 19 2022, 12:15 pm
evi wrote:
How much is reasonable but still on the lower end as this will be a huge expense for me...

How much is the going rate for cleaning ladies/housekeepers in your area? How much is the going rate for in house babysitting? Those 2 amounts combined, would be considered reasonable pay for someone to do both babysitting and housekeeping.

evi

Post Fri, Aug 19 2022, 12:18 pm
amother Buttercup wrote:
How much is the going rate for cleaning ladies/housekeepers in your area? How much is the going rate for in house babysitting? Those 2 amounts combined, would be considered reasonable pay for someone to do both babysitting and housekeeping.

That doesn't seem right because our current cleaning lady doesn't charge way more for babysitting while she's not cleaning. Also I got a bunch of interest from an online ad that I posted at 15. also they wouldn't be doing it at the same time.

amother
Yolk

Post Fri, Aug 19 2022, 12:53 pm
evi wrote:

If you want to pay her legally "on the books" that you are also responsible for the employer's share of FICA which adds to the hourly wage.

Also unless the people I know who do this use a payroll service which is expensive and also potentially difficult to locate for one employee. You might find a bookkeeper who will do it for you for a decent rate.

Some people would attempt to get around this by claiming she is an independent contractor and provide a 1099. This would be legally incorrect since technically she is not an IC since she is working under your supervision and not "independently" so she doesn't fit the indicia.

If you did this she would be liable for 15.3% which is the total of employee and employer FICA withholding. If someone is truly an IC then theoretically the higher FICA rate is offset by their ability to deduct certain business expenses so it theoretically evens out but a low paid domestic servant who isn't really an IC would have no deductions and probably just be taking the standard deduction anyhow if she filed.

evi

Post Fri, Aug 19 2022, 1:01 pm
Yes I'm willing to pay FICA both shares. I'm just wondering if people gross up for other kinds of taxes too. Or if the earned income tax credit would somehow be enough to make up for those stuff. I researched payroll services and there's one that would do it for about $500 a year.

amother
Snowdrop

Post Fri, Aug 19 2022, 3:19 pm
I pay $17 an hour off the books for this kind of work (Ny metro suburbs) 37-42 hours a week

amother
Snowdrop

Post Fri, Aug 19 2022, 3:20 pm
evi wrote:
Yes I'm willing to pay FICA both shares. I'm just wondering if people gross up for other kinds of taxes too. Or if the earned income tax credit would somehow be enough to make up for those stuff. I researched payroll services and there's one that would do it for about $500 a year.

Typically household employees do not have withholding.

imaginedesigns

Post Mon, Aug 22 2022, 12:27 pm
evi wrote:

I paid someone for this kind of work $20/hr (cash though).

Amarante

Post Mon, Aug 22 2022, 1:02 pm
amother Snowdrop wrote:
Typically household employees do not have withholding.

That is because typically household cleaning people are paid cash under the table and don't report the income

OP wants to hire someone legally and in the scenario one must withhold and send in FICA for both employee or employer and calculate withholding based on the withhold amount the help gives you.

A full time employee cannot legally be called an independent contractor and even a cleaning lady who comes once a week is arguably not an independent contractor under the letter of the law.

amother
Snowdrop

Post Mon, Aug 22 2022, 1:37 pm
Amarante wrote:
That is because typically household cleaning people are paid cash under the table and don't report the income

OP wants to hire someone legally and in the scenario one must withhold and send in FICA for both employee or employer and calculate withholding based on the withhold amount the help gives you.

A full time employee cannot legally be called an independent contractor and even a cleaning lady who comes once a week is arguably not an independent contractor under the letter of the law.

As a US accountant who files payroll taxes for household employees I can tell you that typically only fica is withheld. And often the negotiated wage is grossed up for it. But every situation is different.

Amarante

Post Mon, Aug 22 2022, 1:45 pm
amother Snowdrop wrote:
As a US accountant who files payroll taxes for household employees I can tell you that typically only fica is withheld. And often the negotiated wage is grossed up for it. But every situation is different.

I would imagine that has to do with the relatively low salaries so most probably there is no income tax ever actually paid because nothing is owed. You can theoretically file a w-4 form and no money taken out as long as it is not deliberate tax avoidance to avoid withholding. FICA is owed from first dollar unlike income taxes since lower income people often don’t owe any.

But my comment was more for the vast majority of cleaning help who are paid cash and don’t report any income.

amother
NeonOrange

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 7:25 am
evi wrote:

Hi can you please let me know which service does it for$500/ year?

If anyone has any other leads...
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries