Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
House with no pool-Jackson
Previous  1  2

amother
Melon

Post Wed, Aug 17 2022, 10:01 pm
Renting a pool by the hour is illegal in Toms River and Jackson.

It is understandable why homeowners who moved into a residential area of private homes do not want to have increased traffic in the area and strangers coming and going.

It is the same reason why many places ban rentals for less than 30 days because it destroys the character of a residential neighborhood.

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Aug 17 2022, 10:50 pm
amother Melon wrote:
Renting a pool by the hour is illegal in Toms River and Jackson.

It is understandable why homeowners who moved into a residential area of private homes do not want to have increased traffic in the area and strangers coming and going.

It is the same reason why many places ban rentals for less than 30 days because it destroys the character of a residential neighborhood.

Thanks for explaining. That makes sense, makes me wonder why other towns do allow it.

amother
Melon

Post Wed, Aug 17 2022, 10:53 pm
amother Jade wrote:
Thanks for explaining. That makes sense, makes me wonder why other towns do allow it.

There was an incident last summer when 85 kids were bussed in by two school busses.

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Aug 17 2022, 10:56 pm
amother Melon wrote:
There was an incident last summer when 85 kids were bussed in by two school busses.
Pretty stupid to rent to a camp. But if you invite a family over to use your pool and they pay you for using it …

amother
Melon

Post Wed, Aug 17 2022, 11:04 pm
amother Tan wrote:
Pretty stupid to rent to a camp. But if you invite a family over to use your pool and they pay you for using it …

They also brought charges against people who advertised on swimly. They posted pictures of the pools listed and people were able to identify them. It is against the law to advertise a pool for rent in those towns.

amother
Banana

Post Fri, Aug 19 2022, 3:54 pm
I see both sides. Pools have some negatives too- the cost of upkeep, higher homeowners insurance and additional property taxes, can be dangerous if you have small kids (I know a couple of anxiety ridden moms who have a hard time with it, one even filled their pool because of it), people expecting to be invited, having the mess in your house. I've actually heard from several people who have pools that they don't use it as much as they thought, that their kids got unexpectedly sick of swimming, didn't find it exciting after the first couple of weeks etc.
The problem with moving to an area where most people have pools is that the neighborhood kids don't hang out so much in the front yard during the summer, and if you dont have the kind of relationship with a neighbor where you feel comfortable crashing at someones pool (like a sibling or a best friend) - your kids might not always get an invite , might feel left out, and when you have a pool you can invite people over to you and it can be great socially for your kids. I'm torn on this one. It's not a good feeling to feel left out or to have to pay $50-$60 bucks an hour to rent out a pool to give your kids the experience.

amother
Poppy

Post Wed, Aug 24 2022, 3:37 am
I grew up in NJ where some of the families on the block had a pool and some didn't. As a kid, I was always super jealous. However, pools are really only useful for 2-3 months of the year in NJ, becayse it is simply too cold a lot of the year even if the pool is heated. My yard instead had an amazing swing/slide set, giant climbing apparatus, a little house tonplay in, a big sandbox with toys, multiple climbing trees, etc. Those could be used year round (even in the cold or snow we would go on the swings and in the little house etc), and even in the rain we would cram into the little house or sit on the huge deck my parents built ubder a standing umbrella so we weren't confined to the house in bad weather. In the summer to keep cool, my aprents got awesome toy sprinkler attachments for the hose so we could stay cool and have water fun in the backyard. Over the year the neighbors kids certainly spent more time playing in our yard than we did in their pools (or even they did in their own pools). Many of the kids on the block wished their backyards were as cool as mine, so it was mutual jealousy all around (the yard is always better on the other side of the fence?). Kids will be jealous about something no matter what, whether it is a pool or a tou or other things. So pools are great if you want one, but there are other fantastic things you can put in your backyard that will keep your kids entertained all year round, including other water play in summer, and may cost money up front but usually just a one time fee rather than years of pool maintenace/cleaning/heating costs. Better to find a house you love and fits your price range and has nice neighbors.

amother
Banana

Post Wed, Aug 24 2022, 3:10 pm
OP, what did you end up deciding? Keep us posted!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 25 2022, 10:31 am
The house fell thru but not because of the pool!

amother
Dustypink

Post Thu, Aug 25 2022, 10:46 am
I live in Jackson. I'm actually quite happy personally that my house did not come with a pool. I don't want the responsibility and upkeep expense etc.

At the same time I completely hear the OP's issue.

I have 4 out of 7 Jewish neighbors that have pools. We do get invited to one or two of them a few times throughout the summer afternoons but its def hard for my kids. They get jealous and bored when most of the neighbors are not around on the hot summer afternoons because they are in their pools. And even some of the other neighbors have other relative that do have so they are with them...

I still wouldn't trade my house or my block. BH we love everything about it and its only a problem during the 10 summer weeks. so I do other things with my kids and sometimes rent a pool on our own.

amother
Banana

Post Thu, Aug 25 2022, 5:49 pm
amother Dustypink wrote:
I live in Jackson. I'm actually quite happy personally that my house did not come with a pool. I don't want the responsibility and upkeep expense etc.

At the same time I completely hear the OP's issue.

I have 4 out of 7 Jewish neighbors that have pools. We do get invited to one or two of them a few times throughout the summer afternoons but its def hard for my kids. They get jealous and bored when most of the neighbors are not around on the hot summer afternoons because they are in their pools. And even some of the other neighbors have other relative that do have so they are with them...

I still wouldn't trade my house or my block. BH we love everything about it and its only a problem during the 10 summer weeks. so I do other things with my kids and sometimes rent a pool on our own.

I totally hear that. I can see that the bigger issue of living in an area where people have pools is not only that the kids who don't have pools would be jealous, but that the other kids that do have pools are not outside in front during the summer. And generally the areas with pools (toms river/jackson) are not always so developed yet so there aren't that many kids to begin with, and the few kids are in the backyard. And also the properties are huge and spread out which is generally amazing, but since so spread out, someone 15 houses away is far, whereas in lakewood proper, 15 houses away is still on your block. The pool thing is a tough decision when deciding to buy a house. I hear it.

amother
Oleander

Post Thu, Aug 25 2022, 6:04 pm
I will be the odd one out. My neighborhood is probably 80% pools and we regret every summer (over 5 years already) that we didn't buy a house with a pool.
The kids are always swimming with their families in their pools. And my kids beg me to find pools because they have Noone to play with.
I hate asking. I hate borrowing. And I hate sending my kids out when others are watching them. I've watched many parents watch their kids in the pool. And they don't watch them well. They also don't even know how to swim.
I wish I had a pool. Much safer and my kids enjoy swimming as do I and I would make use the whole summer.

amother
Banana

Post Thu, Aug 25 2022, 6:26 pm
amother Oleander wrote:
I will be the odd one out. My neighborhood is probably 80% pools and we regret every summer (over 5 years already) that we didn't buy a house with a pool.
The kids are always swimming with their families in their pools. And my kids beg me to find pools because they have Noone to play with.
I hate asking. I hate borrowing. And I hate sending my kids out when others are watching them. I've watched many parents watch their kids in the pool. And they don't watch them well. They also don't even know how to swim.
I wish I had a pool. Much safer and my kids enjoy swimming as do I and I would make use the whole summer.

So interesting and important to hear this side of the coin, coming from someone who is experiencing negatively not having one. Would you consider building a large above ground pool? Less expensive and less upkeep, and the big ones can be really fun.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/In.....68672

(installation would probably be another few thousand but might be a nice option)

amother
Oleander

Post Thu, Aug 25 2022, 6:55 pm
amother Banana wrote:
So interesting and important to hear this side of the coin, coming from someone who is experiencing negatively not having one. Would you consider building a large above ground pool? Less expensive and less upkeep, and the big ones can be really fun.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/In.....68672

(installation would probably be another few thousand but might be a nice option)

No.
You get spoiled swimming in proper heated pools with the deep and the slide and diving boards. Kids have zero interest after a couple weeks of any above ground pool.
Everyone in my neighborhood who did it regretted it. Waste of money.
But I would consider putting in an Inground pool which was actually my original plan - but can't at the moment.
Putting in used to range about 35k (I know for a fact 2 neighbors installed) but this year things got more expensive and it will cost more now.

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Aug 25 2022, 7:29 pm
amother Oleander wrote:

Maybe offer to watch other pool owners kids plus your own kids while they’re at the neighbor’s pool.. I’m sure plenty of busy moms would gladly take u up on it.

amother
Oleander

Post Thu, Aug 25 2022, 7:59 pm
amother Burlywood wrote:
Maybe offer to watch other pool owners kids plus your own kids while they’re at the neighbor’s pool.. I’m sure plenty of busy moms would gladly take u up on it.

Sounds easy enough right?
Except it's not. It's a huge burden to watch other kids. And I get it. That's why I don't send my kids and I don't offer.
The few times I used to say that the pool owners kids kept hurting mine and doing unsafe things and it's their pool so I just had to pickup and leave. Can't tell them what to do. Not my kids they don't need to listen.
If your a swimmer and your kids love to swim keep that in mind when getting a house without a pool in an area that most do.

amother
Jade

Post Thu, Aug 25 2022, 11:55 pm
amother Oleander wrote:
Sounds easy enough right?
Except it's not. It's a huge burden to watch other kids. And I get it. That's why I don't send my kids and I don't offer.
The few times I used to say that the pool owners kids kept hurting mine and doing unsafe things and it's their pool so I just had to pickup and leave. Can't tell them what to do. Not my kids they don't need to listen.
If your a swimmer and your kids love to swim keep that in mind when getting a house without a pool in an area that most do.

Can you rent a pool for a couple of hours?

amother
Vanilla

Post Fri, Aug 26 2022, 12:11 am
amother Oleander wrote:
No.
You get spoiled swimming in proper heated pools with the deep and the slide and diving boards. Kids have zero interest after a couple weeks of any above ground pool.
Everyone in my neighborhood who did it regretted it. Waste of money.
But I would consider putting in an Inground pool which was actually my original plan - but can't at the moment.
Putting in used to range about 35k (I know for a fact 2 neighbors installed) but this year things got more expensive and it will cost more now.

It costs close to 100k now.

But if your kids are desperate for a pool above ground is better than nothing right?

Sewsew_mom

Post Fri, Aug 26 2022, 12:17 am
amother Vanilla wrote:
It costs close to 100k now.

But if your kids are desperate for a pool above ground is better than nothing right?

That's a major exaggeration.
More like 45k

DVOM

Post Fri, Aug 26 2022, 5:58 am
We had an above ground pool for a couple of seasons (then a tree came down on it during a really bad storm and squished it like a bug).

My kids loved it! And the cost was pretty minimal.

Maybe that could be a solution?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries