Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
How to be sure making aliyah is the right thing?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 22 2022, 8:04 am
For decades my dream has been to make aliyah. We are at a place now that it’s even possible to think about it. But my family is hot and cold on the idea. Sometimes they are excited and sometimes not. Then I think about the idea of working in Israel and I get almost cold sweats because I am not fluent in Hebrew yet and we will definitely need to work. I don’t think I can become fluent until completely immersed. Are only rich Anglos making aliyah? We are not millionaires but we are “comfortable” compared to the average citizen but we need to work.

camp123

Post Mon, Aug 22 2022, 9:04 am
What field are you in?
Jobs are an important consideration, many people have made it work here but it really depends on what you do.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Aug 22 2022, 9:08 am
amother OP wrote:
For decades my dream has been to make aliyah. We are at a place now that it’s even possible to think about it. But my family is hot and cold on the idea. Sometimes they are excited and sometimes not. Then I think about the idea of working in Israel and I get almost cold sweats because I am not fluent in Hebrew yet and we will definitely need to work. I don’t think I can become fluent until completely immersed. Are only rich Anglos making aliyah? We are not millionaires but we are “comfortable” compared to the average citizen but we need to work.
Of course not. And you have olim that know no hebrew as well.
But everyone has to be ok with decision.

essie14

Post Mon, Aug 22 2022, 9:53 am
I was not a rich Anglo when I made aliyah.
I'm in high tech so I didn't need fluent Hebrew to get a job. But I did budget for time off to take ulpan.

Also when I made aliyah remote jobs weren't as popular as they are now.
So number 1, are you and your husband able to keep your jobs and work from home here?

It seems that most new olim I know are doing that.

If not, are you sure you're in a field that requires fluent Hebrew?
Can you start learning Hebrew before you get here? (I did that as well)

amother
Dandelion

Post Mon, Aug 22 2022, 11:00 am
Rich Anglos making aliya? LOL
Not me for sure. I came with two suitcases and sent some boxes by mail via sea. I was twenty five. What I had was an immense will to learn Hebrew and integrate in the israeli society. It was a bit challenging the first few years. One of the best decisions I've done!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions