Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Asking for a raise
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 22 2022, 2:54 pm
I am a playgroup assistant how much can I ask for a raise while being reasonable.
I know playgroups are going up then I think I should be also given more

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 23 2022, 2:01 pm
anyone?

amother
Thistle

Post Tue, Aug 23 2022, 2:08 pm
In what city? is it a legal place like they take vouchers or CHS?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 23 2022, 2:09 pm
Lakewood not legal place

amother
Petunia

Post Tue, Aug 23 2022, 2:11 pm
Someone told me she is paying her assistant $30

Is that how much you are getting? Are you getting paid for Yom Tov and other off days?Last year some people got that as a raise.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 23 2022, 2:14 pm
I am getting no where near that and I do get paid for yom tov and days off

Amarante

Post Tue, Aug 23 2022, 2:24 pm
How much does she charge?

How many children?

What are your hours?

Is there some reason you want to stay at a relatively low paying job when - from what I have read - unskilled recent seminary graduates make $40 an hour or more.

Notsobusy

Post Tue, Aug 23 2022, 3:11 pm
Amarante wrote:
How much does she charge?

How many children?

What are your hours?

Is there some reason you want to stay at a relatively low paying job when - from what I have read - unskilled recent seminary graduates make $40 an hour or more.

Seminary graduates get at most $25. Definitely nowhere near $40

Amarante

Post Tue, Aug 23 2022, 3:15 pm
Notsobusy wrote:
Seminary graduates get at most $25. Definitely nowhere near $40

I have no idea what the actual salary is - only that there are insanely inflated salaries in Lakewood paid to inexperience people. LOL

So OP can ask for $25 at a minimum. I would personally want to be paid more to work as an assistant in day care because office work is easier but that's a matter of preference.

keym

Post Tue, Aug 23 2022, 3:21 pm
Amarante wrote:
I have no idea what the actual salary is - only that there are insanely inflated salaries in Lakewood paid to inexperience people. LOL

So OP can ask for $25 at a minimum. I would personally want to be paid more to work as an assistant in day care because office work is easier but that's a matter of preference.

Except working in an office involves hours that are not as family friendly as compared to a playgroup assistant.

OP are you bringing a baby with you? Because I think that does make a difference in the number.

amother
Celeste

Post Tue, Aug 23 2022, 3:36 pm
Your already getting paid yomim tovim. Not sure you can ask for 30 also ...

Notsobusy

Post Tue, Aug 23 2022, 4:03 pm
Amarante wrote:

You're right, even $25 for someone with no experience is insanely inflated! But $40 is just a bit too inflated Smile

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 23 2022, 8:58 pm
Not bringing baby and this is my 8th year working as an assistant

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 24 2022, 3:00 pm
I would like to send her a rext asking for a raise how should I word it? Hi I am wondering if I could get a raise this year? What's the besg wsy to say it?

Amarante

Post Wed, Aug 24 2022, 3:06 pm
amother OP wrote:
I would like to send her a rext asking for a raise how should I word it? Hi I am wondering if I could get a raise this year? What's the besg wsy to say it?

You should be respectfully assertive.

Wondering IF makes you seem weak and sets you up for the person saying if you are wondering I can clear that up and tell you the answer is no. LOL

Most women have difficulty asking for a raise because they aren't used to being assertive.

I think you should give rational logical reasons

1 - You are experienced and therefore are very valuable

2 - Going rate for experienced assistants in Lakewood is $X - hopefully you have done your research

3 - She is charging this much and has raised her rates this much since your last raise

Also I think you should write out a script and rehearse it with a friend or a husband. Role playing for this kind of interaction is extremely helpful because when you actually do it you are ready with your responses. The person who helps you should be prepared to act the part of the employer with excuses etc.

Ellie7

Post Wed, Aug 24 2022, 3:22 pm
Also, this is an in-person conversation, not a text.

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Aug 24 2022, 3:24 pm
amother OP wrote:

I just asked for a raise. Do it in person if possible. Ask beforehand for a meeting. Tell her what you’ve accomplished, how you’ve done well, and then say I’d like to ask for a raise of x amount.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 24 2022, 9:51 pm
I always text her we are friends so I rather just text her. How should I phrase it can anyone please help me word it?

Amarante

Post Wed, Aug 24 2022, 9:56 pm
amother OP wrote:
I always text her we are friends so I rather just text her. How should I phrase it can anyone please help me word it?

Sorry but it is inappropriate to ask your boss for a raise in a text.

You need to pull your big girl panties up and ask to speak to her and do it in person if you actually want a raise.

A boss is going to find it way too easy to blow off your request via text.

She is NOT your friend - she is your boss for the purpose of asking for a raise and you need to do it in a businesslike but polite manner.

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Aug 24 2022, 9:57 pm
A text will be easier to ignore or even decline your request. Asking in person is the best way to get the amount you want.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics