Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Afraid of robots

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 24 2022, 11:24 am
Anyone’s else’s toddler is super scared of robots.

My toddler is brave and adventurous a little too much at times. I live with my heart in my throat. I never know what she’ll climb next…

She is terrified of robots. I usually cover the roomba during the day and uncover and let it run a cycle at night. The times I forgot to cover it in the morning she ran to me crying and shaking…

Yesterday someone got her a doll that talks and moves. She was so horrified she cried for hours.
I tried showing her how there’s an on and off botton she can control but she wasn’t having it.

I think it scares her that inanimate objects move…

Anyone else’s kids are afraid of roomba or talking dolls? How did you help them overcome their fear?

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Aug 24 2022, 11:37 am
Lol this never came up in my life! We don’t have roomba!

amother
Calendula

Post Wed, Aug 24 2022, 11:42 am
Mine wasn't like this as a toddler but definitely during the preschool years. We didn't have a Roomba, but she flipped out if any technology behaved unexpectedly. She outgrew it.

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, Aug 24 2022, 11:48 am
We pretend our roomba is a person. The kids chose a name together (a female voice, so she) and her dock is her bed where she likes to sleep. When she vacuums we say oh look how hungry she is! She's eating breakfast/snack etc. When she goes back to her dock we talk about how tired she is. Its made a big difference for my youngest.

amother
Mayflower

Post Wed, Aug 24 2022, 12:48 pm
amother Cobalt wrote:
We pretend our roomba is a person. The kids chose a name together (a female voice, so she) and her dock is her bed where she likes to sleep. When she vacuums we say oh look how hungry she is! She's eating breakfast/snack etc. When she goes back to her dock we talk about how tired she is. Its made a big difference for my youngest.

I like this idea. I might also try a remote control car. A kid one. So she can control it and get used to the concept?

amother
Hunter

Post Wed, Aug 24 2022, 2:07 pm
My friendly adorable 2 year old is frightened of our robot vacuum. If we even say the word she freaks out.

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, Aug 24 2022, 2:17 pm
amother Mayflower wrote:
I like this idea. I might also try a remote control car. A kid one. So she can control it and get used to the concept?
So I don't really control the vacuum. I have the routines pre programmed in my phone but the model I have uses cameras to see where everything is and figures out where to go that way. As far as the kids are concerned "she" sees dirt and goes to eat it. And of course she eats some small toys and gets a stomach ache, and then we need to pause her to help her get the things out that she's not supposed to eat. My youngest learned how to pause the vacuum pretty quickly. Once he warmed up to it he went through a stage when he kept pausing it.

Oddly enough my 6 year old is scared of it now. Never a dull moment Wink

amother
Carnation

Post Wed, Aug 24 2022, 3:00 pm
My 2 year older is frightened from the regular vacuum.
It’s the noise that scares her off.

Amarante

Post Wed, Aug 24 2022, 3:20 pm
Why not a mechanical stuffed animal? I would think it would be more user friendly for a toddler.

They had an animated bear in the 1990's called Teddy Ruxpin. He would read stories and his face would be animated.

amother
Papayawhip

Post Wed, Aug 24 2022, 3:32 pm
My 2 year old yells “scared of robot” all day whenever she sees the roomba docked. I try to run it when she’s not around. If it does run when she’s around she stays on the couch or chair the entire time.

animeme

Post Wed, Aug 24 2022, 3:36 pm
Amarante wrote:
Why not a mechanical stuffed animal? I would think it would be more user friendly for a toddler.

They had an animated bear in the 1990's called Teddy Ruxpin. He would read stories and his face would be animated.

Teddy Ruxpin was terrifyingly creepy.

With roomba, I think it's the unpredictability sometimes. And I had a kid who was terrified of the vaccuum. It passes- let it go.

amother
Currant

Post Wed, Aug 24 2022, 4:42 pm
Yes, my grandkids are very scared of it. They outgrow it by the age of 4.

iluvy

Post Wed, Aug 24 2022, 6:54 pm
My toddler is also terrified of the Roomba! I think it's hilarious. I deal with it by giving her a heads up whenever it's scheduled to start and I tell her where it's going to go (which room(s)). We also have lots of discussions about "Harry is our helper" and "Harry can't eat little girls" (the robot's name is Harry) but what helps the most is definitely the heads up.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics