Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Asking for a raise
Previous  1  2

amother
Dimgray

Post Wed, Aug 24 2022, 8:16 pm
Maybe you'll feel more comfortable to text her something like "when is a good time for you to talk? I wanted to discuss getting a raise with you." Then you follow up with a phone call and tell her you'd like a raise.

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Wed, Aug 24 2022, 8:27 pm
another vote for a face to face conversation. 'I wanted to discuss my salary with you, when would work?"

EBY

Post Thu, Aug 25 2022, 12:58 am
I think you should look for open positions, and then call to ask how much they are offering, to get an idea what the going rate is. Or you can call other playgroup morahs in general and ask what they pay their assistants (or get a friend to make the calls for you if you don't want it to get out that you were asking around). Then you can prepare a list of all the wonderful things you bring to the table as an employee (being at the same place for 8 years is a HUGE one! She can rely on you! You work well together and get along on a personal level! You love the kids and enjoy the work....). I don't think you should mention her raising her prices, because she could just say her expenses related to the playgroup went up (supplies etc.).
But yes, as a professional, this conversation must be in person. Plan a meeting in advance and practice what you want to say with someone before. Be prepared for a no or an offer lower than what you asked, and think about how you would respond to that. Are you willing to look for a better paying position if she says no? What if she says her family needs the money because tuition went up? Or other personal reasons? You need to be able to answer that that has no connection to you needing to be paid fairly. Just some things to think about. Good luck! You are worth it! You are an asset, treat yourself like one and others will too!

amother
Marigold

Post Thu, Aug 25 2022, 4:43 am
How much are daycare Morahs making in flatbush?

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 2:29 pm
Amarante wrote:
Sorry but it is inappropriate to ask your boss for a raise in a text.

You need to pull your big girl panties up and ask to speak to her and do it in person if you actually want a raise.

A boss is going to find it way too easy to blow off your request via text.

She is NOT your friend - she is your boss for the purpose of asking for a raise and you need to do it in a businesslike but polite manner.

I totally disagree with this. First of all, bosses can be friends 100%. Second of all, I’m a boss and I much prefer these awkward things over email or text. For a few reasons but main reason being that it gives me time to read the request and regroup , gather my bearings before I reply (the reply for a raise is always in person, the request, no)

amother
SandyBrown

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 2:47 pm
Hi
I feel that my current salary, $x, is too low considering I’ve been working for you for 8 years.
Please let me know how much you are comfortable raising it to - I appreciate that you will probably want some time to think about it.
Many thanks for your understanding.

amother
Gardenia

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 4:07 pm
I do feel like being an assistant in a playgroup setting is somewhat limiting. There is x amount of money coming in, x amount for supplies, x amount for rent... The Morah herself will need to come home with something and anything she will give to you will have a direct impact on her income. If she raises you by $500 a month, she comes home with $500 less.

Would you consider working in a preschool?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics