Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
If a store closes at a certain time….
Previous  1  2

amother
Red

Post Fri, Aug 26 2022, 8:05 am
We walked into a store 10 before closing time. (We had shopped for an hour at another store down the block). We had in mind to try on 1 dress and 1 jacket we saw earlier in the day. We didn't need any help but they sat on us and were annoyed. I understand them but I don't think we necessarily did anything wrong.

singleagain

Post Fri, Aug 26 2022, 8:15 am
amother Red wrote:
We walked into a store 10 before closing time. (We had shopped for an hour at another store down the block). We had in mind to try on 1 dress and 1 jacket we saw earlier in the day. We didn't need any help but they sat on us and were annoyed. I understand them but I don't think we necessarily did anything wrong.

Could you tell them that you were going to just be a short while because I feel like it makes a difference if you come in and apologize and say I'm so sorry. I know that it's late. We just wanted one thing and one thing you know versus walking in and acting entitled to their time

Simple1

Post Fri, Aug 26 2022, 8:51 am
I think stores should should state separate hours for employees and customers. Like for example the employee works till 9:00 but post that the store closes at 8:30. This would psychologically come across to customers as better customer service, and make them feel valued that they're not being kicked out. (Not saying it's OK for the shoppers to be inconsiderate. )

zaq

Post Fri, Aug 26 2022, 9:35 am
Similarly, if someone posts that Shiva visiting hours are 9 am to 9 pm, that means EVERYONE OUT by 9 pm, not that the last arrivals are admitted at 9 and are welcome to stay till midnight.

amother
NeonBlue

Post Fri, Aug 26 2022, 9:43 am
amother Red wrote:

You don’t see anything wrong here?

amother
Dandelion

Post Fri, Aug 26 2022, 9:44 am
I'm a playgroup morah. I used to be annoyed when people picked up late. I'm so tired and just want to lay down a few minutes before my kids get home. I'm a punctual person and careful with people's time.
But I realized people are doing their best and mean well, but life does happen! So now I make dismissal 10 minutes earlier and expect it to take longer...
I think you should assume your husband will be home later instead of resenting it.
I happen to think it isn't nice to come to a store to close to closing and if I must do it I call first and ask if it's OK. That being said, a men's store with a bunch of men shopping...??
they have their own rules of etiquette!

amother
Cyan

Post Fri, Aug 26 2022, 9:50 am
This is the bosses store
He wants the most business
The more money he makes the better it is for the employees
This way, if the boss values his employees, employees get a raise and more employees are hired
The same ppl that complain about the long hours are the same people that complain their income is not enough
This is not a customer problem
This is the boss wanting more business
And if you don’t like the way the boss runs the store don’t work there

Ema of 5

Post Fri, Aug 26 2022, 10:00 am
amother Blushpink wrote:
He needs to take it up with his boss then. I'm not sure why you're blaming customers who probably don't even know when closing time is. They see the door open so they walk in.
Also, appreciate that your husband has predictable hours most of the year. Most jobs come with seasons that are busier and require overtime during those times.

At 9:30 at night, it doesn’t occur to a customer that a store might be closing soon? If I walked into a store that late, I would ask what time or how soon they are closing. I don’t assume a store will be open for a while just because the door is open, especially late at night. Of course allowing people in so close to closing time needs to be discussed with the boss, but when one walks into a retail store, THEY must know or find out the stores policies, including closing time.

Ema of 5

Post Fri, Aug 26 2022, 10:03 am
DrMom wrote:
If I want to run into a corner store a minute before closing and pick up a carton on milk, I don't see the problem.

Of course, if I walk into a clothing store 1 minute before closing and need to try things on and request help from the sales staff, it's rude of me to expect the staff to wait around after hours to wait on me.

But maybe I just want to check the price tag of the nice dress I saw in the window and come back tomorrow and purchase it when I have more time? I don't see any reason not to let a customer in during business hours.

That’s not what the OP is talking about though. Yes, if you want to run in and be out before the store closes, that’s not really an issue. oP is talking about people who come in a few minutes before closing time and expect to shop.

amother
Latte

Post Fri, Aug 26 2022, 10:17 am
A few weeks ago I walked into a clothing store 10 min before closing. The sales lady told me fyi we close in 10 min and we can't stay later. There were still plenty shopper's in the store and the sales ladies repeatedly announced that at 10 they are closing and they aren't staying later. At 2 min to 10 I was ready to pay. Sales lady was amazed I chose so quick. What she didn't know was I had been in earlier that day but had to leave unexpectedly before id managed to pay so I came back hoping the clothes I wanted would still be there. I would have been very annoyed if I hadn't been let in but I do agree if closing is at 10 then tills close at 10. That's how department stores do it too, once the tills are closed it's easier to get everyone out.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 26 2022, 10:24 am
I’m talking about a few families coming in with their sons at 9:58. Each son has to be helped and fitted/tailored. I have kids also and it would never occur to me to bring multiple children to begin a shopping trip 2 minutes to closing. It’s basic mentchlichkeit.

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Fri, Aug 26 2022, 10:32 am
I think restaurants close their kitchen before the restaurant is officially shut and so people can't come in after a time. Also - if anyone has overstayed a restaurant - they will generally start cleaning around you and turning on the lights.

I am not a typically a night shopper but as I recall when I have been in a store prior to closing they announce it and ask people to come to the registers. If they aren't on line by a certain time they can't check out.

I also wonder if the owner of a store pays workers overtime for the additional time. Under the law they should be paid for any time worked. I imagine that would cause the owner to think about whether it made sense to keep the store open.

Also - it appears that this kind of "rush" might be seasonal so perhaps it would be better for the mental health of workers to officially have extended hours at certain times. They would be paid for the extended hours and could perhaps adjust their actual hours worked so they come in later and don't have such a long shift and/or be forced to work very late as other workers could do those hours who didn't mind that kind of schedule.

Simple1

Post Fri, Aug 26 2022, 10:44 am
amother OP wrote:
I’m talking about a few families coming in with their sons at 9:58. Each son has to be helped and fitted/tailored. I have kids also and it would never occur to me to bring multiple children to begin a shopping trip 2 minutes to closing. It’s basic mentchlichkeit.

So why don't they lock the door? Seems like the boss is ok with it, so it needs to be discussed with him and your husband compensated accordingly if made to stay later.

Simple1

Post Fri, Aug 26 2022, 10:50 am
A customer might not know when closing time is. And even if it's written out, this is often adjusted for YT season. I've seen stores ignore closing times during busy season. I consider my self a considerate shopper and think it's wrong to force your way into a store when they want to close. But that is the question- are they closing the lights and doors? Or are they going with the flow of the busy season?

Last edited by Simple1 on Fri, Aug 26 2022, 10:52 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Thistle

Post Fri, Aug 26 2022, 10:51 am
amother Blushpink wrote:
He needs to take it up with his boss then. I'm not sure why you're blaming customers who probably don't even know when closing time is. They see the door open so they walk in.
Also, appreciate that your husband has predictable hours most of the year. Most jobs come with seasons that are busier and require overtime during those times.

Or, as a customer, take this as a learning experience. It’s ok to treat people with respect and not go into establishments at or close to closing. The staff was there all day and wants to get home. It’s ok to have some decency even if if if.

amother
Thistle

Post Fri, Aug 26 2022, 10:53 am
Simple1 wrote:
So why don't they lock the door? Seems like the boss is ok with it, so it needs to be discussed with him and your husband compensated accordingly if made to stay later.

The boss makes a lot more money so wants the customers. The staff wants to go home. Basic mentchlichkeit is for customers not to take advantage of this.
I’m not blaming anyone who didn’t know this btw. It’s a great PSA. I didn’t know it before I started working in a similar situation.

zaq

Post Fri, Aug 26 2022, 11:45 am
My laundromat is very clear: the sign says " closing time 7:00 p.m. last laundry 6:00 p.m." IDK why all businesses don't post similar signs.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette