Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Attention food travel experts: would love your insight!
1  2  Next

tigerwife

Post Sun, Aug 28 2022, 1:29 pm
We’ll be iyh going away for three days with limited kosher food.

We plan on taking along both meat and dairy Betty Crocker Pizza makers.

Breakfast and lunch should be taken care of between cereal and milk, pancakes, grilled cheese, sandwiches and pre packaged pastries.

For dinner, I plan on frying some schnitzel to work for the first couple of nights and froze marinated chicken breasts to cook fresh on the third night.

We are packing pita and bread.

Questions:

What are easy to make/ travel friendly sides to make fresh or bring along? Anything that can be cooked easily in a Betty Crocker? (I’ve never had one for meat until this trip).

Is it worth bringing along a hot water urn? How dependable or gross are the average hot water kettles in a hotel room or Airbnb? Is it risky to depend on it?

Any other OTG food ideas are appreciated!
Thanks in advance.

giftedmom

Post Sun, Aug 28 2022, 1:40 pm
Sides can mostly be bought locally. Canned corn and potatoes are especially helpful. I usually take a crockpot rather than a Betty Crocker for fleishig since I can then include the sides as well. I also use to to cook eggs.
General I would take UHT milk for cereal and coffee, cheese and yogurt, and frozen meat. The rest can be bought locally. It’s only a couple days. Keep meals simple and filling.

giftedmom

Post Sun, Aug 28 2022, 1:41 pm
oh and a crockpot can also be used for hot water. As well as keeping food warm if you flip the lid. Very versatile.

crust

Post Sun, Aug 28 2022, 1:42 pm
I took along frozen french fries for the Betty crocker and disposable pans to cook water in.

The next time when I went for longer I ended up bringing along my urn because it was too much of a hassle to cook water in pans.

LK1

Post Sun, Aug 28 2022, 1:44 pm
I used the coffee makers in the hotel for my hot water. Was told it's kosher if the coffee they have there is kosher

cupcake123

Post Sun, Aug 28 2022, 1:57 pm
I took along one of the small hot water electric things.
Definitely a crock pot bring along proteins and you can always buy rice, potatoes over there...
If you have a portable grill you have a lot of options as well
Have fun!

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Aug 28 2022, 2:06 pm
I never cook on vacation. I want to enjoy my vacation as much as possible. I bring food I cooked at home, frozen, that I reheat

DrMom

Post Sun, Aug 28 2022, 2:07 pm
Honestly, for a mere 3 days I'd just bring one appliance. We can live easily on salads, omelets, milk, cereal, fruit, veggies, tuna, and whatever we can scrounge in the supermarket for 3 days.

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Aug 28 2022, 2:11 pm
I've never had a problem with a kettle anywhere. I always pour out the water and refill it.
Ramen noodles or other instant meals are good for travel.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Aug 28 2022, 2:14 pm
When we travel by car I always prepare potato salad and macaroni salad ready to go in 2 quart containers. I don't mix in the dressing though until we're ready to eat the side dish (I put the dressing in a separate small container). I find it doesn't spoil as fast this way. A third great side dish to take along is ready rice salad. Also corn salad.

Some on the go ideas are 5 minute rice (3 cups of the instant 5 minute rice and 3 cups boiling water covered in a large container with salt until fluffy). Also Idahoan instant mashed potatoes with boiling water, crushed garlic, smart balance and salt (measure out the garlic and smart balance in small container before you leave). Soup cups are awesome to take along for whoever is not happy with the side dishes.

For boiling water, you can either kasher the microwave there, use the coffee urn there, or bring along a plug in instant hot water device for traveling.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.....psc=1

I try to only bring along a mini meat George Foreman. We grill chicken and thin sandwich steaks. Also grilled burgers and hot dogs. We have bagels and lox slices with cream cheese for breakfast 1 day. Baguettes with sliced eggs, mayo, tomato slices and salt another morning. Sometimes we've taken along a second device like a sandwich maker but I find it a schlep and only necessary if there is really no kosher food around and kids feel they need a hot meal (can make eggs in there too).

Enjoy the family time!

tigerwife

Post Sun, Aug 28 2022, 2:44 pm
Thanks everyone!

amother
Daylily

Post Sun, Aug 28 2022, 2:56 pm
Instant mash potatoes
Thin couscous
Ramen noodles
All just need hot water, seasoning, oil and time to absorb the water

Canned corn
Canned beans
Heart of Palm
Olives
Mushrooms
Are great straight from the can

Most targets, Walmarts, supermarkets sell CLASSIC salad with some type of hashgacha, also coleslaw

Once our flight was cancelled and we went to Walmart and found pre-boiled eggs with ou, had that with avocados, bagged salad mix, rice cakes that had an ou, peanut butter, and almond milk for coffee.

amother
Hawthorn

Post Sun, Aug 28 2022, 2:57 pm
You can buy boxed Near East Cous Cous and bring a plastic bowl or foil pan. Pour in boiling water and cover with a clean towel to steam for 5 minutes or more. Toss in grape tomatoes or chopped cucumbers/peppers or serve plain. My daughter told me that flight attendants wash their underwear in the coffee pot and that YouTube gives instructions on how to do that. Who knows if it's true, but I have stopped using it because I was so grossed out. If the hotel has a Starbucks inside or nearby, you could get a cup of plain boiling water to mix into the dry Cous Cous. You can buy avocados and mix up some guacamole to serve with chips and salsa--fun and a little bit noshy, but still some nutrition. Bring bottled dressing and serve fresh cut vegetables and dip. Buy Chumus and crackers at your destination.
We imamothers are so industrious at feeding our families. A few years ago, Weight Watchers had a series of tips to help weight loss and one of them was "take a snack with you." I thought that was hilarious. What's the chidush? Did you ever know a Jewish mother to leave the house without food? Have a great trip.

cbg

Post Sun, Aug 28 2022, 3:04 pm
And when all else fails
Scrambled Eggs

If you take a crockpot look into crockpot freezer meals- freeze them in the crocock pot bag raw, defrost the night before, and stick in the crock pot in the am.
Things like chili eaten with tortillas chips is yum and comforting

crust

Post Thu, Sep 01 2022, 7:15 pm
LK1 wrote:
I used the coffee makers in the hotel for my hot water. Was told it's kosher if the coffee they have there is kosher

Just saw this and thought it might be worthwhile to share.

simpleme

Post Thu, Sep 01 2022, 9:17 pm
Oatmeal packets are pretty filling and just need hot water.

healthminded

Post Fri, Sep 02 2022, 2:53 am
crust wrote:

My DH claims that it's probably OK to use, as they go after the majority, & majority aren't used like this. + It's probably more then 24 hours.
Ask your LOR

amother
Chicory

Post Fri, Sep 02 2022, 12:23 pm
amother Pewter wrote:
I've never had a problem with a kettle anywhere. I always pour out the water and refill it.
Ramen noodles or other instant meals are good for travel.
doesn't the kettle need to be toival'ed?

amother
Chicory

Post Fri, Sep 02 2022, 12:24 pm
crust wrote:

WOW. Imagine!

amother
cornflower

Post Fri, Sep 02 2022, 12:29 pm
amother Chicory wrote:
doesn't the kettle need to be toival'ed?

Assuming it doesn’t belong to a Jew, no it does not. The same way you can drink from glasses at a hotel lobby.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics