Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Addressing Chutzpah
Previous  1  2  3

ora_43

Post Mon, Aug 29 2022, 5:02 pm
amother White wrote:
You aren’t listening to her.

Eh.

I think it's possible to be a very good listener, without being willing to be sidetracked at the exact moment that the kid needs to clean up.

taketwo

Post Mon, Aug 29 2022, 5:07 pm
ora_43 wrote:
Eh.

I think it's possible to be a very good listener, without being willing to be sidetracked at the exact moment that the kid needs to clean up.

Can't one listen and not be side tracked?

E g. "Even if Yehudis played with it, I asked you"

And

"I hear you're hungry, I'll get your food ready while you clean up" or "I hear your hungry, clean up fast so you can eat already."

Basically just acknowledge what she is saying by repeating it back. I wasn't that amother who mentioned that, but I am responding because I don't think listening equals being sidetracked.

ora_43

Post Mon, Aug 29 2022, 5:07 pm
Although I'd be careful with "I'm hungry," "I need to use the bathroom," etc. Sometimes kids use it as an excuse but often it's true that they don't notice their own physical needs while playing and then suddenly notice them once things get less interesting.

So on the one hand, I'm absolutely not going to listen to "but so-and-so isn't..." in the middle of cleaning (although I'll invite the kid to talk about it later), but physical needs I'll treat as semi-urgent.

(as in, I'm not going to postpone a 5-minute cleanup for 20 minutes so they can make themselves an elaborate snack, but grabbing a piece of fruit before a 10-minute project, yes)
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics