Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
How do babies learn to sit

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 30 2022, 3:11 pm
How can I teach my baby? Or does it happen on its own?

BrisketBoss

Post Tue, Aug 30 2022, 3:17 pm
It happens on its own! Usually first they crawl, then they start to sort of tilt and change position until you realize they're getting close. It can be hard to visualize before you see it for yourself.

You don't have to help any normal baby meet physical milestones, beyond providing plenty of floor time.

gootlfriends

Post Tue, Aug 30 2022, 3:19 pm
Usually? It happens on their own. It ranges. I had one child sit at 5 months, another at 8. My only child who needed to be taught had low muscle tone and needed physical therapy. It requires balance and strength. Crawling helps with both.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 30 2022, 3:21 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:
It happens on its own! Usually first they crawl, then they start to sort of tilt and change position until you realize they're getting close. It can be hard to visualize before you see it for yourself.

You don't have to help any normal baby meet physical milestones, beyond providing plenty of floor time.

That's what I thought. My mom said I should tripod my baby but it didn't sound right to me. Thanks

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Aug 30 2022, 3:38 pm
Strong core muscles are imperative. The more tummy time, the stronger they'll get. Lifting themselves off the ground, doesn't need to be crawling per se, is great exercise. So is having them lie on their back and reach upwards. Put them on the floor and pick them up on the side and help them roll into position or out of it. That also strengthens their muscles. My 4 month old sits though he needs spotting... He doesn't crawl but he does get up on all 4s already.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 30 2022, 3:44 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Strong core muscles are imperative. The more tummy time, the stronger they'll get. Lifting themselves off the ground, doesn't need to be crawling per se, is great exercise. So is having them lie on their back and reach upwards. Put them on the floor and pick them up on the side and help them roll into position or out of it. That also strengthens their muscles. My 4 month old sits though he needs spotting... He doesn't crawl but he does get up on all 4s already.

Thanks! We do lots and lots of tummy time. She picks her bottom up in the air when on her tummy, is that what you mean by the bolded?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Aug 30 2022, 4:09 pm
It's a start but I mean the stomach is also off the ground, completely supporting body weight on arms and lower legs.

mushkamothers

Post Tue, Aug 30 2022, 4:24 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks! We do lots and lots of tummy time. She picks her bottom up in the air when on her tummy, is that what you mean by the bolded?

Shes working up to it. Don't put her into positions and don't put her in any bumbo seat etc. Just give lots of floor time.

amother
Butterscotch

Post Tue, Aug 30 2022, 5:05 pm
If your baby doesn’t sit by a certain age you can be approved for EI. My daughter didn’t sit up by 10 months and she only belly crawled along with some other delays wich I don’t remember. We got approved for EI (it doesn’t have anything to do with income eligibility). We had a government paid PT come to our house twice a week and play with her. Within no time she was walking and running and jumping.

hodeez

Post Tue, Aug 30 2022, 5:56 pm
My son is already 9 months and hasn't sat up yet, he's so wobbly :/

gr82no

Post Tue, Aug 30 2022, 6:14 pm
My baby sat unsupported at four months. At that point he wasn’t crawling or swimming or anything like that.
I had been sitting him on my lap for a week or two before and at one point it seemed to me that he could do it himself so I left go and he was! At first only for ten seconds but within a week I didn’t have to worry about him falling down.
He started crawling at six months. Bh he’s a strong baby.

amother
Daphne

Post Tue, Aug 30 2022, 6:18 pm
amother OP wrote:
That's what I thought. My mom said I should tripod my baby but it didn't sound right to me. Thanks

I've definitely tripoded my babies but not necessarily because I was trying to teach them to sit but because it was a good position for them to be in with the toys they were playing Etc and I did find that it helped them learn to sit on their own.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics