Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Save white shirts with ink that have been washed & dried!

DustyDiamonds

Post Wed, Aug 31 2022, 11:49 am
Any ideas to help me save a few new white button-down 100% cotton Charles Tyrwhit shirts that have stains from pen ink?

I washed and dried them before I noticed the stains. Then I sprayed them with all kinds of stain removers, let them sit a few days, and washed them again, but it didn’t help.

Any way to save the shirts at this point?

Della

Post Wed, Aug 31 2022, 11:51 am
Take them to the dry cleaners, let them try with chemicals

ra_mom

Post Wed, Aug 31 2022, 12:45 pm
This might not work if it's been dried, but I think there's still a chance it can so worth trying with one.

It will take a lot of work. Spray stain with hair spray and scrub scrub scrub with soft cleaning toothbrush until stain comes out. It takes very intense scrubbing (and spraying more and more) and can take a few tries.
Then wash as usual.

DustyDiamonds

Post Wed, Aug 31 2022, 1:28 pm
ra_mom wrote:
This might not work if it's been dried, but I think there's still a chance it can so worth trying with one.

It will take a lot of work. Spray stain with hair spray and scrub scrub scrub with soft cleaning toothbrush until stain comes out. It takes very intense scrubbing (and spraying more and more) and can take a few tries.
Then wash as usual.

Thank you! What kind of hairspray? Haven’t had that around in years!

enjoying kids

Post Wed, Aug 31 2022, 1:55 pm
ra_mom wrote:

Then wash as usual.

Supposing that I make $40/hour, I'd rather earn a new shirt in 1 hour of work than spend an hour that I don't have scrubbing it out!

Cheiny

Post Wed, Aug 31 2022, 2:00 pm
enjoying kids wrote:
Supposing that I make $40/hour, I'd rather earn a new shirt in 1 hour of work than spend an hour that I don't have scrubbing it out!

I thought same.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Aug 31 2022, 2:03 pm
DustyDiamonds wrote:
Thank you! What kind of hairspray? Haven’t had that around in years!

Any one is fine. I keep an aerosol hairspray in my laundry room for this purpose only.

jflower

Post Wed, Aug 31 2022, 2:44 pm
https://www.goodhousekeeping.c.....ains/

This article suggests using alcohol to remove ink stains. It's worth a shot.

SuperWify

Post Wed, Aug 31 2022, 4:44 pm
Blot with rubbing alcohol.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry