Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Psa: you need to know this word
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

Rubies

Post Wed, Aug 31 2022, 10:04 pm
PKL is that you?

amother
Thistle

Post Wed, Aug 31 2022, 10:06 pm
amother OP wrote:
Like challa.
Kreech rhymes with Ich, as in "ich veis?" Which is another phrase that he uses in literally every sentences.

Eta: oops, sorry, you said you're Sefardi. Ich veis is loosely translated as "uh...." when it's sprinkled in every sentence. (Iow, it's meaningless.)
Literally it means "I know? " as in "who knows?" . But practically they will say something like, "There are -ich veis- three guys in my shiur who give haircuts, but my barber only charges- ich veis- two dollars." Then I ask him, "Does he do a decent job?" And he said, "ich veis? For two dollars, you can't go wrong. Lechoyra."

this example had me rotfl.

motheroftoo

Post Wed, Aug 31 2022, 10:07 pm
Pencil ordered...thanks for the link

fbc

Post Wed, Aug 31 2022, 10:08 pm
I only have girls right now but this really made me laugh! Thanks!! You're a great writer!

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Aug 31 2022, 10:10 pm
My husbands been using Kreech ever since we got married 12 years ago so it’s at least that old. More to describe people who are annoying. “He’s a kreech.”

ImStrong

Post Wed, Aug 31 2022, 10:10 pm
laughing my head off reading this!!

happytobemom

Post Wed, Aug 31 2022, 10:12 pm
Thank you so much OP!
My heilege bochur is not yet of age, but shkoyach for the heads up!
(as well as for giving my night a gevaldige laugh!)

happytobemom

Post Wed, Aug 31 2022, 10:13 pm
Rubies wrote:
PKL is that you?

Why don't we let the woman stay anonymous in peace? Everywhere she goes we have to spot her!

BH Yom Yom

Post Wed, Aug 31 2022, 10:13 pm
Rubies wrote:
PKL is that you?

Wondering the same thing!

happytobemom

Post Wed, Aug 31 2022, 10:15 pm
amother OP wrote:
Here's the link: Pentel GraphGear 1000 Automatic Drafting Pencil (0.3mm), Black Accents, 1 Each (PG1013G) https://a.co/d/7mtM3LH

He is makpid to only use .03mm lead.

I will say, though my bochur is not yet away in Yeshiva, he is not too young to be makpid on which pencil is good for his gemara!

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Aug 31 2022, 10:16 pm
amother Pink wrote:
My husbands been using Kreech ever since we got married 12 years ago so it’s at least that old. More to describe people who are annoying. “He’s a kreech.”

The word by chasidim now for that orech!

happytobemom

Post Wed, Aug 31 2022, 10:17 pm
amother Thistle wrote:
amother OP wrote:
Like challa.
Kreech rhymes with Ich, as in "ich veis?" Which is another phrase that he uses in literally every sentences.

Eta: oops, sorry, you said you're Sefardi. Ich veis is loosely translated as "uh...." when it's sprinkled in every sentence. (Iow, it's meaningless.)
Literally it means "I know? " as in "who knows?" . But practically they will say something like, "There are -ich veis- three guys in my shiur who give haircuts, but my barber only charges- ich veis- two dollars." Then I ask him, "Does he do a decent job?" And he said, "ich veis? For two dollars, you can't go wrong. Lechoyra."
this example had me rotfl.

SAME!!

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Aug 31 2022, 10:17 pm
Rubies wrote:
PKL is that you?

Or the OP of Ima roundups LOL

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Wed, Aug 31 2022, 10:24 pm
Do people who speak Yiddish actually use this word in this context?

amother
DarkGreen

Post Wed, Aug 31 2022, 11:08 pm
I had such a good laugh at this. Op, whoever you are, thank you!!!!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 31 2022, 11:09 pm
Rubies wrote:
PKL is that you?

What gave it away? Hi

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Aug 31 2022, 11:16 pm
Thisisnotmyreal wrote:
Do people who speak Yiddish actually use this word in this context?
No. The literal meaning is crawl. Yiddish speakers do say kreecht oif mean nerven which means crawls on my nerves so I’m guessing this is where it comes from.

bigsis144

Post Wed, Aug 31 2022, 11:16 pm
Doesn’t “kreech” mean “sandwich” in Hebrew? (כריך = same shoresh as Korech, ie matzah sandwich)

My sister came back from seminary a decade ago saying “kreech and a half!” whenever something annoyed her 😆

And I wondered what sandwiches had to do with anything…

amother
Maize

Post Wed, Aug 31 2022, 11:24 pm
amother Milk wrote:
In Yiddish, this is how the word is used in a sentence:
"s'kreeched af mein nerven"

Literally translated: it's creeping in my nerves

It’s crawling on my nerves.

Very popularly- er is a nerven kreecher, which can be understood as he is bothersome.

naturalmom5

Post Wed, Aug 31 2022, 11:25 pm
amother OP wrote:
So I sent my son off to Yeshiva and he now speaks like a yeshiva; that is, now his every sentence is peppered with yeshivishisms and Yiddish words. He grada didn't know a single Yiddish word when he left my house. But he zicher picked up the shprach really fast.

It's okay, I chap what he's saying, most of the time, that is, when he doesn't mumble, which is the rest of the time. Do all yeshiva boys mumble, or is my son extra special?

So, I get the lingo because I punkt married a yeshiva guy as well, and I picked it up over the years. But my yeshiva guy, when he talks to me, doesn't confuse me with his chavrusa, unlike my son.

My dear yeshiva bachur son calls me almost every night to tell me how much he loves me. Haha, just kidding. He calls to tell me he needs more socks, and, efsher a few more hangers. Look, if he is asking for hangers, lechoyra, that's a good thing, right?

Today he called to tell me that his special mechanical pencil broke, and he needs a new one. And no, the cheap Bic mechanical pencils won't do. They don't work for writing notes in the gemara. This will be the third time this year. I mamish love that boy.

The nekuda is that we talk often and I know that he takes this very seriously.

Anyway, the reason I'm writing now is to be moydia anyone who is interested that there is a NEW Word that yeshiva boys now must use to join the club of emesa, shtark yeshivish speakers. ( I know none of you are trying to join the club, but, many of you are mothers, grandmothers or mothers-in-law of said yeshiva boys, and you need to know about this word in order to be able to understand your choshuva bochurim. )

Without further ado- The word is "KREECH". It means "bother" .
Example: "I ate the pizza cold because it was too much of a kreech to warm it up. "
Another Example: "I didn't change my linen all z'man because it's a kreech."

I think it's new anyway. I never heard this from my husband. I never heard it used anywhere, from anyone, before my son. At first I thought it was only my son using this meshunadiga word (which literally means to climb in yiddish,) but then I heard my neighbor's son saying kreech in every other sentence as well, and that's when I realized that aderaba, it's a real thing. And, pashtus, it's here to stay.

I should let Abie Rottenberg know that this word needs to be added to the song.

And for those of you who don't have sons in yeshiva yet, (halevai soon,) file this info away because you're going to need it. Your son wont bother explaining the term to you. It's too much of a kreech.

You're welcome.

Me heica tesa, I grada always heard potchka
Ubir ken zein its an andra gersa
Page 2 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics