Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Psa: you need to know this word
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 31 2022, 11:51 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:

Me heica tesa, I grada always heard potchka
Ubir ken zein its an andra gersa

Yeah, I don't think they use potchka anymore. Except maybe women when they talk about making the pesach lokshen.
I think when something is a kreech, it's like too much of an effort. Mistama not worth it.

Fox

Post Wed, Aug 31 2022, 11:55 pm
Imamother really needs its own humor magazine.

effess

Post Thu, Sep 01 2022, 12:03 am
I love how mamma lashon became exclusively bochurishe rayd. And has us mammas scratching our heads trying to understand

amother
Crocus

Post Thu, Sep 01 2022, 12:11 am
OP, Are you the challah lady?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 01 2022, 12:36 am
amother Crocus wrote:
OP, Are you the challah lady?

I make challa, but I've never been called the challa lady, so I think no.
Is she someone on Imamother?

amother
Crocus

Post Thu, Sep 01 2022, 12:38 am
amother OP wrote:
I make challa, but I've never been called the challa lady, so I think no.
Is she someone on Imamother?

Whoops lol I meant the potato kugel lady
Is that you?
You have the same writing style

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 01 2022, 12:46 am
effess wrote:
I love how mamma lashon became exclusively bochurishe rayd. And has us mammas scratching our heads trying to understand

Well, antchuldigs- not to be choilek here, but mama loshen and yeshivish rayd are not the same thing.

Mama loshen, literally the mother tongue, refers to your native language, the language you grew up with. In our communities, people may refer to Yiddish as the mama loshen (even if you didnt actually speak it as a child) because all of us (Ashkenazi) yidden had grandparents whose native language was Yiddish.

Yeshivish rayd is a language that is a mixture of Aramaic, Yiddish and English words. The phrases are mostly borrowed from gemara. You can't actually learn pshat in a tosfos without resorting to yeshivish raid. (Unless you're Artscroll, in which case you use a different language- which contains words like juxtaposition and tractate.)

scintilla

Post Thu, Sep 01 2022, 12:48 am
OP when's the book coming out? Or the weekly column?? Who remembers Kayla Kochleffel - we need you to succeed her!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 01 2022, 12:53 am
scintilla wrote:
OP when's the book coming out? Or the weekly column?? Who remembers Kayla Kochleffel - we need you to succeed her!

I remember Kayla kuchleffel (and we are both dating ourselves).

Rumor had it that it was Country Yossi himself who wrote the column, though I don't really believe that was true.

scintilla

Post Thu, Sep 01 2022, 12:56 am
I've heard that rumor but also always wondered. And some things just don't go out of style:)

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 01 2022, 1:02 am
scintilla wrote:
I've heard that rumor but also always wondered. And some things just don't go out of style:)

Does the CY magazine still exist?

ShishKabob

Post Thu, Sep 01 2022, 10:16 am
PKL you are too funny! Thanks for making me laugh! You are really really something special!!
No wonder!
I think your kugel will be the one we will use when Moshiach comes. You are so well rounded! (like the article that talks about what type of hat Moshiach will wear) Yup it's zicher going to be your KUGEL!!!! Smile

And thanks for the word 'kreech', I'm used to the oirech word.

dena613

Post Thu, Sep 01 2022, 10:39 am
Lechoyra PKL should be able to stay haroitzah be'ilum shemah, and should not feel farkoyft and get asked if it's her lichoyrah.

amother
Glitter

Post Thu, Sep 01 2022, 10:40 am
My dh (26) uses the word kreech. lol

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 01 2022, 11:31 am
ShishKabob wrote:
PKL you are too funny! Thanks for making me laugh! You are really really something special!!
No wonder!
I think your kugel will be the one we will use when Moshiach comes. You are so well rounded! (like the article that talks about what type of hat Moshiach will wear) Yup it's zicher going to be your KUGEL!!!! Smile

And thanks for the word 'kreech', I'm used to the oirech word.

Thanks! You are certainly right about me being well rounded, and it's davka because I eat so much potato kugel.

And thanks for nominating my kugel (even without tasting it) for the feast when Moshiach comes. Kugel will go well with the Shor habor, with some tzimmis on the side. (And there's always the fish option, so those people can eat kugel with the levyason.)

And please educate me. I never heard of orech. Is that like the word for guest? How would you use it in a sentence?

crust

Post Thu, Sep 01 2022, 11:38 am
In the USA we use kreech-crawl as a verb.

I love when nouns become verbs and vice versa.
Thanks for this OP. So now I can easily say I didn't do x because it was a kreech. Who needs the word hassle?

Btw, how many times in this phone call did he use the word k'ili?

If it was less than 25 then he still has to stay there until he becomes more solid.

keym

Post Thu, Sep 01 2022, 11:48 am
OP, efsher I can offer you a shtickel a eitzeh?
Grada you can taka tell punkt how big of a kreech something is by how they stretch out the eee.
Warming the ich veis frozen pizza is a kreech so theyll eat it cold.
Hanging up ich veis his suit pants is a taka a kreeeech so he'll just leave it on the floor.
Doing ich veis laundry is emes a kreeeeeeeech so he'll just wear dirty socks.
Farshteist?

happytobemom

Post Thu, Sep 01 2022, 11:49 am
amother OP wrote:
(Unless you're Artscroll, in which case you use a different language- which contains words like juxtaposition and tractate.)

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

ChassidishMommy

Post Thu, Sep 01 2022, 12:09 pm
Is kreech the new schlep?

asmileaday

Post Thu, Sep 01 2022, 12:12 pm
Haha this thread is too funny!! I have a 14 and 16 year old but I've never heard kreech from them. Maybe it's only a yeshivish thingy not chassidish. But you made me laugh so hard!
And it took me till page 3 to chap what PKL stands for Smile . I hope you don't mind that your cover was blown.
Page 3 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics