Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
First time buying an stove/oven - suggestions please?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 18 2022, 9:37 am
The oven that our house came with is on its way out and I'm in the market for a new one. Needs to be a standalone, gas range but besides for that I have no idea what to look for.

If you are happy with your recent oven purchase, please share the make and model!

Also, what features in general should I look out for?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 21 2022, 2:33 pm
Anyone?

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Aug 21 2022, 2:37 pm
In general for lower-end ovens I've found GE to be significantly sturdier.

I would look for self-clean, other features tend not to be as important. Fifth burner possibly. If you want to use the Zman feature for Shabbos mode look for compatible models.

If you want high end, I would look into Bluestar as they have the largest capacity home gas ovens.

I only have electric, so can't help with specific models.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 22 2022, 8:05 am
Thanks! Anyone else?

SingALong

Post Mon, Aug 22 2022, 8:17 am
I recently bought a standard ge with Shabbos mode. No warming draw. My old one I had upgraded to include a warming draw on the bottom and I loved it.

I don’t remember what the recent one costed but it was pretty reasonable. Could be cuz I bought it as part of a kitchen package.

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Aug 22 2022, 8:35 am
GE has a good reputation for ranges. If you want self-clean, it's best to use it only before Pesach because the high heat can fry the computer circuits. The ranges these days, with very few exceptions such as the high end prosumer brand Blue Star, are full of electronics.

Convection is helpful for roast chicken and for crustier challahs. If you use the same range for milk and meat, a dual oven range (2 separate ovens) might be a good choice.

I am a kitchen designer — my own ranges are Blue Stars and are about 15 years old. No electronics!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 22 2022, 11:53 am
Thanks so much for the helpful info! I hadn't been considering a dual oven range, but that does sound nice to have a milchig oven (as of now we just use a counter-top toaster oven). Won't that cut down on my Fleishig oven cooking space though?
And are there Kashrus issues using both ovens at the same time?

Also, how about WIFI features - does anyone have that and find it worthwhile to splurge on? (There have been times I've had to call a neighbor to turn on/off my oven because I forgot.)

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Aug 22 2022, 1:08 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks so much for the helpful info! I hadn't been considering a dual oven range, but that does sound nice to have a milchig oven (as of now we just use a counter-top toaster oven). Won't that cut down on my Fleishig oven cooking space though?

Yes. I would recommend that you see one in person.
Quote:
And are there Kashrus issues using both ovens at the same time?

Kashrus issues will depend on things like whether the 2 oven chambers are really separated as opposed to the roof of the lower oven being the same piece as the bottom of the upper oven. I just called Star-K to ask and they did not have a definitive answer.

nicole81

Post Mon, Aug 22 2022, 1:15 pm
I really miss my KitchenAid double gas range. It's a double oven, and having a full size milchig oven makes a huge difference, especially because I make big pizza pies lol.

No kashrus issues, certified by the star k. Its shabbos mode is great; you can leave both ovens on over yom tov and operate them at different temperatures. This was very useful to me over pesach and Shavuot. Plus the shabbos mode worked well with the timer for Friday nights, and there was no guessing about the temperature. The digital face scrolled a banner with what to press for each temperature.

My setup is different now and I really want to switch to the KitchenAid double wall oven, I miss my old oven sooo badly!

kugelzlady

Post Sun, Aug 28 2022, 4:46 pm
WFG535S0JS Been happy with this one!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 01 2022, 6:14 am
Thank you so much for your replies!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics