Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Dosi Hebrew speakers re naming private body parts
Previous  1  2  3  4

sequoia

Post Wed, Aug 31 2022, 2:59 pm
A disconnect between… different people who have never met, belong to vastly different communities, and have almost nothing in common?

Anyway.

P*nis. Vulva. Proper terminology.

BrisketBoss

Post Wed, Aug 31 2022, 3:02 pm
BadTichelDay wrote:
I never use tushy. It sounds too infantile. I've only ever heard Americans use that word and I'm not a native English (or Yiddish) speaker.
As I wrote, my boys go with bulbul and beitzim and I let them. For the girl, it is "your private area" or the "front-bottom." I discourage her from using the word pot. She can use it when she goes to the gynecologist for the first time or maybe when I give her the full explanation about periods and female fertility.

Am I the only one who sees a disconnect on this site? On the one hand you have imamothers who didn't know how doing the deed works (almost?) until their wedding night, or who conceal pregnancies from their own kids, on the other hand, some want their primary school age kids to throw around anatomical terms. How about the golden middle path - everything at the fitting time?

It's not so much that we want them to 'throw them around.' It doesn't really matter what we want. Kids go through different developmental stages and a lot of them at one time love to refer to private body parts and functions as much as possible. They'll grow out of it.

Why would the temporary solution be to...use fake words? (Why is it a problem that needs a solution at all?) Kids can handle real words. Some concepts may be beyond them but not their own body parts that they are aware of by look, feel, and function. 'Adult' words are for kids too. You don't have to teach your kids boo boo and owie. Would you think it was bad if a little kid referred more precisely to their injuries, because adults used correct words when speaking to them? Would that seem too mature, and before the fitting time?

Being respectful to children is good enough reason for me, but now we also know that exposure to correct terms helps children avoid s-xual abuse, and if ch"v not that then at least to describe it later. Sad to say but the child's language can make a big difference in court.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Aug 31 2022, 11:43 pm
BadTichelDay wrote:
I never use tushy. It sounds too infantile. I've only ever heard Americans use that word and I'm not a native English (or Yiddish) speaker.
As I wrote, my boys go with bulbul and beitzim and I let them. For the girl, it is "your private area" or the "front-bottom." I discourage her from using the word pot. She can use it when she goes to the gynecologist for the first time or maybe when I give her the full explanation about periods and female fertility.

Am I the only one who sees a disconnect on this site? On the one hand you have imamothers who didn't know how doing the deed works (almost?) until their wedding night, or who conceal pregnancies from their own kids, on the other hand, some want their primary school age kids to throw around anatomical terms. How about the golden middle path - everything at the fitting time?
Most probably it is not the same women. I told my child the correct names of their body parts. I was not an uninformed bride. I think they are not the same people. So I dont think there is an disconnect here.

essie14

Post Thu, Sep 01 2022, 12:17 am
amother OP wrote:
Please can we be friends?!
I say let's throw "front tushy" out the window.

I never even heard the term until imamother.
We use anatomically correct body part names. From age 1. Although I do let DD 5 say tushie. But we also say tusik and behind and butt.

BadTichelDay

Post Thu, Sep 01 2022, 6:31 am
Oh, can't we just stuff this thread where no sun shines? I regret participating. In our family, we'll leave it at euphemisms until the kids have grown some brains and self restraint, however long that may take.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics