Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Psa: you need to know this word
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Sep 01 2022, 8:34 pm
Lol.

I used to get so nervous from these words but I've really come to appreciate them.
Some of them don't really have a good English counterpart.

BrisketBoss

Post Thu, Sep 01 2022, 8:36 pm
amother Wine wrote:
Lol.

I used to get so nervous from these words but I've really come to appreciate them.
Some of them don't really have a good English counterpart.

None of them do. When we choose to use terms from other languages it's because they have that je ne sais quoi.

asmileaday

Post Thu, Sep 01 2022, 8:49 pm
amother Marigold wrote:
Help!! What does nafka mina mean??

Difference.

Like what difference does it make.

(I'm not yeshivish but that's how I hear the words used.)

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 01 2022, 8:54 pm
asmileaday wrote:
Difference.

Like what difference does it make.

(I'm not yeshivish but that's how I hear the words used.)

Yes. Nafka Mina is an Aramaic term. You don't have to be yeshivish. If you learn commentaries in chumash, such as Ramban or kli yakar, you would come across nafka Mina. Usually it's abbreviated mn"m - (sorry no Hebrew font) which stands for Mai nafka Mina- whats the difference....

This was always on the roshei teivos list in 9th and 10th grade chumash class.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 01 2022, 9:01 pm
Mindfully wrote:
No, not hassle. My parents and grandparents would use kreech to kvetch about how their alter beinim were kreeching and it was difficult to go up the stairs.

But I won't cry copious tears over that! Has anyone ever used that word, copious, irl? I've only seen it when describing pious rabbanim when they cried copious tears.

So I think that kreech always used to mean crawl or climb. Ke'ilu, go kreech on the monkey bar...

Also, like others said, kreech on the nerves, which is like - its getting on my nerves.
Your grandparents used it to mean creaking- like bones creaking.

But the point of my OP was to say that it has come to my attention that the newer generation has co-opted this word to now mean a hassle. Too much effort. A balagan. A kreech.
At least to me, using this word in that context is a chiddush, especially being that I'm no stranger to yeshivishe rayd.

Mindfully

Post Thu, Sep 01 2022, 11:30 pm
amother OP wrote:
So I think that kreech always used to mean crawl or climb. Ke'ilu, go kreech on the monkey bar...

Also, like others said, kreech on the nerves, which is like - its getting on my nerves.
Your grandparents used it to mean creaking- like bones creaking.

But the point of my OP was to say that it has come to my attention that the newer generation has co-opted this word to now mean a hassle. Too much effort. A balagan. A kreech.
At least to me, using this word in that context is a chiddush, especially being that I'm no stranger to yeshivishe rayd.

I chupped your nekudah about kreech being used today, just enjoyed going down memory lane and my hearing it as a child.

amother
Hyssop

Post Thu, Sep 01 2022, 11:31 pm
Anyone still surprised when DS describes something as "sick"?

BrisketBoss

Post Thu, Sep 01 2022, 11:33 pm
amother Hyssop wrote:
Anyone still surprised when DS describes something as "sick"?

That's old slang. Did it recently enter yeshivishe reid?

amother
Burlywood

Post Fri, Sep 02 2022, 12:04 am
To all the ima mothers who posted about your boys in Yeshiva, Baruch HaShem that’s what you have to deal with.
Not understanding their new word..

Can you imagine the pain and suffering of mothers like me who have to deal with a child not going to a real Yeshiva or no Yeshiva due to being a struggling teen.

Halevai I could enjoy such a cute conversation with my son.

Not_in_my_town

Post Fri, Sep 02 2022, 12:41 am
Hilarious, OP!

Didn't read the whole thread, but the OP had me laughing. Reminded me of this. I was cracking up watching this. Forgive me if someone posted this already. Don't have patience to read all pages.

amother
Cyan

Post Fri, Sep 02 2022, 2:13 am
I'd like to shtell on a phrase that many may not farshtey.

Have you heard someone say "He wasn't goires me"?
This means, he didn't take me seriously, didn't accord me respect etc.

But, what it comes from is quite interesting.
Sometimes there will be a machlokes of how the Gemara is supposed to be read, if le'ma'aseh a word was left out ve'chulei.

So you might hear "Rashi is goreis azoi -- " meaning he holds the girsah or proper version of the text - I.e. girsah - is like this.

So now, you find "we're goireis azoi" - and then, "We're not goireis like that" meaning we don't believe the proper version of the text is like that.

And from there, "He wasn't goireis" - he didn't take it seriously.

Anyone here every knew this? Find it interesting?

amother
Tuberose

Post Fri, Sep 02 2022, 8:23 am
amother Burlywood wrote:
To all the ima mothers who posted about your boys in Yeshiva, Baruch HaShem that’s what you have to deal with.
Not understanding their new word..

Can you imagine the pain and suffering of mothers like me who have to deal with a child not going to a real Yeshiva or no Yeshiva due to being a struggling teen.

Halevai I could enjoy such a cute conversation with my son.

I’m in the same situation and has the same pinch when I read it, but I still really enjoyed this post.

I’m happy for klall Yisrael to have so many bachurim who are involved in learning (and the humor involved in their unique personalities) and I daven to merit such simple nachas one day.

I wish us both and all of our brothers and sisters yeshuos b’Karov!

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 02 2022, 10:20 am
Thank you for writing, amothers Burlywood and Tuberose. I appreciate what you're saying. Your posts reminds us all that we have to feel grateful for all the blessings in our lives and at the same time to daven for all the children in klal Yisroel.

No, I can't imagine exactly what pain you are going through, although I did have my own share of challenges with a struggling teen at some point. I remember the feeling of helplessness and hopelessness. BH he got back on track and is today a wonderful, happy, sincere and ehrlich young man. Please accept my birchos hedyot that you, and all mothers of struggling children, merit to see the yeshua you hope for very soon, and veheishiv lev avos al bonim, v'lev banim al avosam.

And I know that you may not feel this way, but it's true nevertheless...your struggling children are not yours alone. They are the children of all of Klal Yisroel. And Klal Yisroel shares in that responsibility. You were just entrusted, for whatever reason, to be the primary caretaker, but we all daven for your children when we say in Shacharis, "veharev na....v'nihiye anachnu v'tze'atza'einu , v'tze'atza'ei amcha beis Yisroel kulanu yod'ei shemecha, v'lomdei sorasecha lishma."

Also. I want to ask for mechila for inadvertently causing you pain. Please forgive me.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 02 2022, 10:52 am
amother Cyan wrote:
I'd like to shtell on a phrase that many may not farshtey.

Have you heard someone say "He wasn't goires me"?
This means, he didn't take me seriously, didn't accord me respect etc.

But, what it comes from is quite interesting.
Sometimes there will be a machlokes of how the Gemara is supposed to be read, if le'ma'aseh a word was left out ve'chulei.

So you might hear "Rashi is goreis azoi -- " meaning he holds the girsah or proper version of the text - I.e. girsah - is like this.

So now, you find "we're goireis azoi" - and then, "We're not goireis like that" meaning we don't believe the proper version of the text is like that.

And from there, "He wasn't goireis" - he didn't take it seriously.

Anyone here every knew this? Find it interesting?

Thanks, I found this fascinating. It's always intersant to investigate the roots of words and phrases.

Which reminds me of another new (at least to me) expression that I have heard from my son.

When he came back home from yeshiva after being away for awhile, he saw a certain yungerman who recently started working for my husband. My son expected the yungerman to be more friendly to him, but apparently he wasn't goires him at all. My son returned from shul telling me that the guy "shtoltzed me out". Lol. I had never heard the word shtoltz used as a verb before.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 02 2022, 11:17 am
BrisketBoss wrote:
That's old slang. Did it recently enter yeshivishe reid?

No, I don't think so.
This would be considered a regular slang word (which personally turns my stomach) but not in the category of yeshivish Reid. My little kid came home from school saying it, and I told him that we don't use that expression.

amother
Starflower

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 8:58 pm
My son LOVES the pencil..thanks to the amother who linked it!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 9:27 pm
Thanks for letting me know!
I got the sense from my son that this is THE pencil to have, that all the guys use (at least in his yeshiva).

Your son should use the pencil to help him in his learning:)

And btw, did anyone notice in the Mishpacha, like 2 weeks ago, in Esther Kurtz's story, she used the word Kreech?? (Except she spelled it kriech). If it made it to the Family First, it takeh must be legit. Very Happy

amother
Quince

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 9:55 pm
And btw, did anyone notice in the Mishpacha, like 2 weeks ago, in Esther Kurtz's story, she used the word Kreech?? (Except she spelled it kriech). If it made it to the Family First, it takeh must be legit. Very Happy[/quote]

Yes, I did notice she used it, and I immediately thought of this thread! : )

amother
Cognac

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 10:53 pm
amother Quince wrote:
And btw, did anyone notice in the Mishpacha, like 2 weeks ago, in Esther Kurtz's story, she used the word Kreech?? (Except she spelled it kriech). If it made it to the Family First, it takeh must be legit. Very Happy

Yes, I did notice she used it, and I immediately thought of this thread! : )[/quote]
Ha I also saw it and thought of this read. I probably wouldn't have known the meaning of it if not for this thread.

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 11:01 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks for letting me know!
I got the sense from my son that this is THE pencil to have, that all the guys use (at least in his yeshiva).

Your son should use the pencil to help him in his learning:)

I noticed and thought of you OP
Page 5 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics