Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
BLW baby shows no interest
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 01 2022, 2:38 pm
I'm starting BLW with my 6 month old. I spoon feed purees which he loves but I know it's important to put food in front of him and let him eat himself but he shows no interest in that.
does it mean he's not ready?
yesterday I put a cooked carrot, today apple slices but he doesnt even look at it. when I feed him pureed veggies he loves it.

amother
Freesia

Post Thu, Sep 01 2022, 2:40 pm
If you are going to spoon feed him he’ll be lazy and just wait for that. It’s counterproductive. It takes time for them to explore and learn. You need to do one or the other.

BrisketBoss

Post Thu, Sep 01 2022, 2:43 pm
Sure, he's still young. Some aren't interested in self feeding until 7 or 8 months. (Beyond that I'd have concerns and back off the spoon feeding, unless and until the problem is so great that it turns out they really will not feed themselves.)

Of course, I wouldn't spoon feed in the first place but that's a different story. What do you mean you're doing BLW but you're spoon feeding? That isn't BLW unless you are placing pre-loaded spoons into baby's hand or onto baby's tray. Otherwise, some call what you are doing the solids version of combo feeding. This is not recommended as the baby may be confused as to what to do at a given mealtime, or wait to be fed because that's easiest.

Last edited by BrisketBoss on Thu, Sep 01 2022, 3:35 pm; edited 3 times in total

amother
Amaranthus

Post Thu, Sep 01 2022, 2:43 pm
My baby is the same way
So I started to share with her what I am eating if she tries to grab at it
If she likes it then I give it to her on her highchair mext time

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 01 2022, 10:26 pm
my baby wont grab what im eating, at least not yet.
I thought purees it's okay to spoon feed and still try to blw.
I put him in the high chair with food on the tray and doesnt even look at it.
idk what my next step should be.

mushkamothers

Post Thu, Sep 01 2022, 10:33 pm
amother OP wrote:

So you're not ready for solids.
Stop doing purees. It's not blw and you can't really do both, for safety (bc of how the gag reflex develops)
Your next step: Lay off all food and wait for him to show interest

BrisketBoss

Post Thu, Sep 01 2022, 10:33 pm
amother OP wrote:

Some people think that BLW just means giving finger foods to a baby. e.g. "My baby is 8 months old now and has only had purées so far but I think it's time to start BLW." But BLW means letting your baby feed themselves everything from the start (~6 months). So what you are doing is not really BLW. Which is ok. But it might be that spoon feeding is part of what is impeding his interest in self feeding.

amother
Brickred

Post Thu, Sep 01 2022, 11:59 pm
Blw means you never spoonfeed

amother
Holly

Post Fri, Sep 02 2022, 2:34 am
It's funny that I never thought which method to use, I just found it easier to spoon feed my baby originally and when he was ready to be independent I let him feed himself.

And he really ate only tiny amounts of food until he was about 20 months and nursed a lot (if I gave him ice cream or cake he'd be happy to have more of it though Wink)

So please don't stress

imaima

Post Fri, Sep 02 2022, 2:36 am
amother OP wrote:
I'm starting BLW with my 6 month old. I spoon feed purees which he loves but I know it's important to put food in front of him and let him eat himself but he shows no interest in that.
does it mean he's not ready?
yesterday I put a cooked carrot, today apple slices but he doesnt even look at it. when I feed him pureed veggies he loves it.

Raw apple slices are a bit hard for a 6 month old, aren’t they?

Has he shown interest before he started?

amother
Holly

Post Fri, Sep 02 2022, 2:42 am
Will just repeat that everyone told me that you have to let him feed himself. I hardly did that and now he feeds himself beautifully and will barely let me feed him.

6 months is very young. You can definitely try but if he loves the purees then keep giving them to him and you can offer him other things as well but without stress. The main thing is that meal time should be enjoyable with a calm relaxed mommy around

No one goes to their chuppah being spoon fed by their mother

imaima

Post Fri, Sep 02 2022, 2:47 am
amother OP wrote:

Stop and reintroduce in a month.

He is obviously not ready. I think the first commandment of BLW is that baby should be interested in real food: grab food off your plate, follow your spoon with his gaze etc.

If he ignores a tray of food chunks, then stop and save yourself the excessive cleaning and prep that come with solids

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Fri, Sep 02 2022, 6:52 am
What’s BLW ? 😳

the world's best mom

Post Fri, Sep 02 2022, 6:55 am
I'm confused. I know nothing about blw, but I spoon fed all my kids and the kids I babysat, and every single one loved feeding themselves finger food while I fed them purees. 6 months old is young for finger foods.

I understand that there's a method here that I know nothing about, but to say to stop spoon feeding because the kid will be lazy and never want to self feed is just ridiculous. Nobody grew up without food because their mother spoon fed them as an infant.

mushkamothers

Post Fri, Sep 02 2022, 7:57 am
the world's best mom wrote:
I'm confused. I know nothing about blw, but I spoon fed all my kids and the kids I babysat, and every single one loved feeding themselves finger food while I fed them purees. 6 months old is young for finger foods.

I understand that there's a method here that I know nothing about, but to say to stop spoon feeding because the kid will be lazy and never want to self feed is just ridiculous. Nobody grew up without food because their mother spoon fed them as an infant.

Blw is not about being lazy. It's teaching a baby to feed themselves bc that helps with their grasp, sensory exposure, trying new foods, not to mention developing all the muscles in their mouth needed for speech. A myofunctional therapist told me everyone should do blw just for that reason. And jaws need to chew, purees are ruining an entire generation of jaws which means narrow palates and breathing issues. Dr Steven Lin who's a dentist preaches this.
Laziness is really not the point although a very nice bonus is independent feeding.

6 months is a perfect age IF baby shows interest. Baby clearly isn't ready.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 02 2022, 7:59 am
the reason I'm very interested in BLW is because my older kids are uber picky. it's exhausting. I did research that led me to BLW as a method to help baby have a developed palate early on and into his early kid years.

but there are soooo many rules. NO purees, no spoonfeeding, special highchairs w a bunch of requirements, must eat while they eat, food sizes, safety, allergies to look out for and on n on.

What happens if I only follow some of these guidelines?

and yes, I guess my kids isnt ready.

amother
Freesia

Post Fri, Sep 02 2022, 8:30 am
amother OP wrote:
the reason I'm very interested in BLW is because my older kids are uber picky. it's exhausting. I did research that led me to BLW as a method to help baby have a developed palate early on and into his early kid years.

but there are soooo many rules. NO purees, no spoonfeeding, special highchairs w a bunch of requirements, must eat while they eat, food sizes, safety, allergies to look out for and on n on.

You don’t have to follow so perfectly. But spoon feeding fully at the save time is going to make your baby just wait to be fed. You don’t need a special high chair at all, you can even do it with your baby in your lap. You can give other food if it’s easier I did t always give what I ate. Good size is for safety and ease so that one you should follow. Allergies are no different than spoon feeding, you always look out for it with new foods. You can give purées and spoons, you preload and put it on the high chair for baby to maneuver themselves.

BrisketBoss

Post Fri, Sep 02 2022, 11:11 am
imaima wrote:
Raw apple slices are a bit hard for a 6 month old, aren’t they?

Has he shown interest before he started?

Yes. People who are concerned about regular safe BLW foods often think raw apple slices are ok, and they're actually a choking hazard unless they're very very thin.

Interestingly, giving a baby a whole apple is fine too. I've given my younger ones cores to gnaw on.

mushkamothers

Post Fri, Sep 02 2022, 11:14 am
amother OP wrote:

There's really no rules except watch for choking hazards. I did blw intuitively bc it just seemed easier to me - I did it before it became cool. Literally serve whatever you're eating. I happen to not sit and eat with my babies either.

I do have a stokke Tripp Trapp and that's bc it's an amazing item and I will never buy a bulky huge ugly plastic high chair anyways. I have 3 right now, all bought used. The first one was bought used and is still going strong 4 years later with my 5y year old.

mommyhood

Post Fri, Sep 02 2022, 11:16 am
amother OP wrote:

I only followed some of the rules for my last baby and they are an amazing eater way better than the ones I followed the traditional first rice cereal then fruit/veggie purées etc.
I did start food later with them, closer to 8 months. That way they could start straight with ‘real’ food.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics