Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Attn: Gluten free carb watchers

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 01 2022, 10:53 pm
Any ideas for a quick cookie bar or muffin using gluten free flours and coconut sugar (and maybe stevia)? I think I'd rather not choc chip because need to avoid chocolate at night.

I don't think I want to use apples because it's more carbs.

I have a great gluten free CC chookie mix from Simple Mills but it's made w almond flour & s/t my stomach can't handle that.

So I guess basically I'm looking for a Pesachdik item using potato starch or possibly tapioca & rice flour. So I'll have to have a very small serving not to have too much carbs. Yeah, I guess the only way to keep this low carb is to stick to a 1 ounce serving, but even with that, by eliminating sugar it's just a little better... at least I hope so.

Actually, I did see some ideas in Rorie Weisberg's cookbook, but they are using her gluten free flour. I'm not remembering how to sub potato starch.

Since we use very few ingredients on Pesach I don't have any actual recipes (that I've used, cookbooks are full of them : ) with vanilla, chocolate chips etc. Not even baking powder. So if someone can recommend something that tastes good... well... thanks for listening! Sorry if I'm rambling, I'm really tired and also hungry!

amother
Chestnut

Post Thu, Sep 01 2022, 10:55 pm
Can I ask why you are gluten free and avoiding carbs (and why you think an apple is contributing significantly if you are using Potato flour)?
Are you celiac? Does Gluten impact psoriasis for you?

I am asking so I can best assist.

amother
Blush

Post Thu, Sep 01 2022, 10:59 pm
Elanaspantry.com
Or daniellewalker.com (against all grain)
Have some great recipes

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 01 2022, 11:15 pm
Thanks for responding, Chestnut.

I had digestive issues for many years and gluten free seems to help. But I also have some problems with my blood sugar so try to eat mostly proteins & veg. However when stomach flares up I don't have too many choices.

Thanks, Blush, going to check those out.

amother
Chestnut

Post Thu, Sep 01 2022, 11:19 pm
Can you use quinoa flour? I have not baked with it but it is GF and should have a lower glycemic index than Potato starch. Red Mill makes it. I would check their website for recipes.

amother
Emerald

Post Fri, Sep 02 2022, 6:04 am
How about a keto flourless torte

amother
Fuchsia

Post Fri, Sep 02 2022, 6:25 am
Is sugar ok? I have a flourless vanilla crinkle cookie recipe

amother
Mayflower

Post Fri, Sep 02 2022, 7:08 am
Play around with recipes with coconut flour, chickpea flour, quinoa flour.

Nut flours and butters make good bases, can your stomach handle a combination of nut flours and some starches?

Cassava flour is great for baking but high in starch. I would also focus on using lower glycemic sweeteners, and aim for lots of eggs and coconut oil to slow down the glycemic load.

Banana or sweet potato purées can make awesome baked goods as well, with a little coconut flour to hold it together.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 02 2022, 1:27 pm
Quote:
Can you use quinoa flour? I have not baked with it but it is GF and should have a lower glycemic index than Potato starch. Red Mill makes it. I would check their website for recipes.
Quinoa doesn't agree with me, so kind of doubtful the flour would be better.

Neither do sweet potatoes or winter squashes. I used to make a kabucha squash w cinammon & cloves & it was delicious, but didn't turn out so well...

If I'm having trouble, chickpea and nut flours are usually not so easily digested. That's why I'm inclined to try rice & potato flours. Maybe tapioca.

I guess what someone said about eggs & oil is a good point. So more a muffin than a cookie. I doubt I'll have time before Shabbos, but maybe next week. Meanwhile there's always potato chips (made w olive or avocado oil...)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise