Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Do you think there is fat discrimination?
Previous  1  2

amother
Starflower

Post Sun, Sep 04 2022, 12:57 pm
amother Strawberry wrote:
My experience is actually the opposite, actually.

I have people in my family who are naturally thin and are not disciplined at all. (And besides for that they eat junk all day actually).

There are a lot of reasons why someone might be overweight but lack of discipline is very rarely part of the reason.

You are missing the point - no one is saying that fat people are undisciplined.

The question is about discrimination which means that people are prejudiced and are not judging a person individually but based on the BIAS of the person doing the judging.

When people in this thread have talking about lack of discipline it is because it is one of the reasons that PREJUDICED people justify their actions - even if it isn't conscious on their mind.

A lot of prejudice is unconscious bias - people claim they aren't prejudiced but their actions reflect that bigotry.

smss

Post Sun, Sep 04 2022, 12:58 pm
amother Starflower wrote:
You are missing the point - no one is saying that fat people are undisciplined.

The question is about discrimination which means that people are prejudiced and are not judging a person individually but based on the BIAS of the person doing the judging.

When people in this thread have talking about lack of discipline it is because it is one of the reasons that PREJUDICED people justify their actions - even if it isn't conscious on their mind.

A lot of prejudice is unconscious bias - people claim they aren't prejudiced but their actions reflect that bigotry.

The poster who brought this up said "it might just be true."

amother
Watermelon

Post Sun, Sep 04 2022, 12:59 pm
Employers may be subconsciously influenced by the stereotype of heavy people being sloppy, lazy and unhealthy. When you apply and interview for jobs, make sure to look very tidy and well-put-together, and emphasize your organizational skills and efficiency. Give examples! A potential employer may be concerned about hiring someone who may be absent frequently. Assuming it is true, be sure to mention your stellar attendance at previous jobs.

Be prepared to explain your current unemployment without looking/feeling uncomfortable. If you are lacking in any relevant skills, get trained.

flowerpower

Post Sun, Sep 04 2022, 1:03 pm
I find that it’s age more than weight. They prefer young chickens

oneofakind

Post Sun, Sep 04 2022, 1:06 pm
I think it's about confidence and energy more than anything.

wabcs

Post Sun, Sep 04 2022, 1:10 pm
Where are you located? I know a job opening in Monsey that sounds like a good fit

miami85

Post Sun, Sep 04 2022, 1:19 pm
I was unemployed when I was pregnant, it was illegal to fire me for being pregnant so they blamed it on "missing too much work"--when it was 2 days+yom tov. I couldn't get hired while pregnant b/c no one wants to hire someone only to have to hire someone a few months later. After my most promising interview, I lost to someone "more experienced".

Its not legal to discriminate because of overweight, but people who are overweight tend to have more health needs in general- diabetes, asthma, arthritis, etc. which weighs on the company in terms of sick days, health insurance and other HR benefits (life insurance, liability insurance etc). Companies are allowed to make decisions based on "what's good for the company"

amother
Starflower

Post Sun, Sep 04 2022, 1:21 pm
smss wrote:
The poster who brought this up said "it might just be true."

Do you mean this post?

amother NeonBlue wrote:
A thin person can appear to look more disciplined. This is something an employer may value.

I'm not saying it's right to discriminate like this, but it might just be the truth.

Perhaps I am misinterpreting and that imamother should clarify but a thin person "can appear to look more disciplined" doesn't mean that the person is actually more disciplined.

That is what prejudice would be - the employer assumes that the thin person is more disciplined based solely on that person being thin and nothing else

Her last sentence stating that it could be the truth is a bit confusing since she is basing on looks rather than reality.

But "discipline" has nothing to do with weight. In fact many extremely disciplined people overeat as a way of "relaxing" because they are so disciplined in other areas and it is a safe way to "relax".

Amarante

Post Sun, Sep 04 2022, 1:22 pm
miami85 wrote:
I was unemployed when I was pregnant, it was illegal to fire me for being pregnant so they blamed it on "missing too much work"--when it was 2 days+yom tov. I couldn't get hired while pregnant b/c no one wants to hire someone only to have to hire someone a few months later. After my most promising interview, I lost to someone "more experienced".

Its not legal to discriminate because of overweight, but people who are overweight tend to have more health needs in general- diabetes, asthma, arthritis, etc. which weighs on the company in terms of sick days, health insurance and other HR benefits (life insurance, liability insurance etc). Companies are allowed to make decisions based on "what's good for the company"

Actually it is legal to *discriminate* based on weight - it might not be nice but fat is not a protected class for the purposes of employment discrimination.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 04 2022, 1:28 pm
wabcs wrote:
Where are you located? I know a job opening in Monsey that sounds like a good fit
I am not in the usa.

amother
Lightblue

Post Sun, Sep 04 2022, 1:35 pm
There is definitely discrimination to hire against fat. 1000000% for educated type jobs.

However, there is much less discrimination against extremely well dressed fat compared to regular dressed, and especially to not decently dressed.

It is not a conscious bias but if everything lands the same the candidate without the overweight tends to get the job.

Its also exsists in many categories, unconcious bias. Like two thin people who both qualify, the more nicely for the field of work appropriate dressed or the more personable get the job. Age biases too.

My advice if you are concerned this affects you, is dress head to toe best you can, designer even if you cannot afford, get second hand designer. Immaculately clean, pressed etc.

Practice the socially savvy part too.

I find this helps.

amother
Cornsilk

Post Sun, Sep 04 2022, 1:48 pm
Fat discrimination is definitely real and definitely a thing that happens, but you have no way of knowing if that's what's at play here and I think its unproductive to zero in on that (besides, what would you do if you did somehow find proof that someone didn’t hire you because of your weight? Weight is not a protected class like gender or race are.) There are a million and one reasons why you may not be getting offers. And it might not have anything to do with you either. Typically at the interview stage, they call in about 3-4 people to interview. You could do everything right, but they just end up liking one of those other people better for whatever reason. I do understand the frustration, as I've been there. I think there's nothing more to do but keep doing your hishtadlus, and daven that the right opportunity should accept you soon.

miami85

Post Sun, Sep 04 2022, 2:13 pm
Amarante wrote:
Actually it is legal to *discriminate* based on weight - it might not be nice but fat is not a protected class for the purposes of employment discrimination.

There are lots of legal ways to discriminate as long as they dont' outright say it. It just comes out as "the other person is more qualified" or "has more potential" or "Better fit for our company".

zaq

Post Mon, Sep 05 2022, 2:00 pm
amother Strawberry wrote:
My experience is actually the opposite, actually.

I have people in my family who are naturally thin and are not disciplined at all. (And besides for that they eat junk all day actually).

What matters is not reality but perception, and the PERCEPTION is that overweight people lack self-control and thin people have it in spades. When one sees a thin person snacking, nobody thinks about it at all. See a heavy person snacking and the thoughts go "No wonder he looks like that, look at how he eats."

There's the PERCEPTION that a heavy person is going to cost the employer more in sick days, wear and tear on furniture, lost business due to customer attitudes...some people even have the perception that thin people are smarter and work harder. Nobody ever calls anyone a "skinny, stupid, lazy stickbug" but they do call people "fat, stupid lazy cow."

amother
NeonBlue

Post Mon, Sep 05 2022, 2:50 pm
Please give credit where credit is due.

No not all thin people stuff themselves with junk food. Many are DISCIPLINED. We calculate it calories maintenance and eat accordingly. It's hard work.

I understand navy fat people have a very hard time losing weight and have repeatedly tried only to fail again & again. It takes discipline too.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics