Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Renouncing citizenship
Previous  1  2

amother
Aubergine

Post Fri, Jan 14 2022, 11:31 am
heidi wrote:
Wow!
I guess I should have known not to open this thread.
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.
Renouncing Israeli citizenship.
תתביישו

Why should we be ashamed of ourselves? Yes, I understand how it can be connected to our persons identity. And I’m reluctant to give it up so I haven’t yet. But did you read all the things we said? How incredibly difficult (if not impossible) it was for me to live there? I had to leave since I couldn’t get bituach leumi and I was pregnant. A high risk pregnancy! Was I able to commit then for the rest of my life? No! And that’s what they wanted.
Please don’t judge those of us who are grappling with this decision. We don’t want to do it anymore then you do.

amother
Snowflake

Post Sun, Feb 13 2022, 11:28 am
Is it difficult to make Aliya later when you've given up the citizenship before? Will they make trouble every time I want to visit? Seriously thinking about renouncing the citizenship for my kids

moonstone

Post Sun, Feb 13 2022, 12:04 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
I hear the times are changing argument, but it seems to me that Covid is making Israel a far more hostile place thatn the US

Seriously? 🙄

imorethanamother

Post Sun, Feb 13 2022, 1:57 pm
People here make the continual mistake of equating support of Israel in general with support that everything every bureaucrat in Israel dreams up.

People renounce citizenship or apply for citizenship for convenience. Not to show allegiance. I’d be an Israeli citizen right now out of allegiance to the country, but I’m not because we aren’t capable of the extensive commitment that comes along with it. I’m a US citizen not because I adore whichever president is currently in office but because it helps with getting a job.

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, Feb 13 2022, 2:02 pm
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
If kids don't want to serve in the army, it's just a matter of filling out the correct paperwork to get exempted But who knows - by the time they are of age, the draft may no longer be necessary, or they may want to serve.

Not so simple at all.

This only works if you've been living in Israel the entire time.

If they first learn in Yeshivas abroad, they don't qualify for the exemption - in order to get a patur, you need to show that you've been learning in Yeshiva from a certain age. They don't recognize institutions abroad so it's a big problem coming to learn in Israel at a later age.

I know someone who was learning in yeshiva here and he was given a day's notice to either leave the country or he will get arrested for not serving in the army. He had to pack up and leave right away with his wife and young baby.

amother
Fern

Post Sun, Feb 13 2022, 3:22 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
We lived in EY for a number of years after making Aliyah. Our children are citizens, and we moved back to the US a number of years ago. When we were moving a few people mentioned to us that we should renounce our sons' citizenships so that if they want to come learn in EY later on they will not have problems with the army. We were also told that if we do renounce their citizenship then it will be harder for them to live there if they want to as adults. We were also told not to bother renouncing the girls' citizenships because it wont be a problem for them.
My older son is now 14.5 and we have not yet renounced his citizenship. Do I need to do so before a certain age? How do I go about doing so?
Has anyone else had experience with this? should we do it or is it easy to get a deferment (what if he wants to learn there for more than a year)? Any other thought or information would be helpful!

OP, I'm happy to actually answer your question. I can't guarantee you that the information I'm giving you is current. Most of my siblings were born in Israel. My parents moved back after an number of years. My mother was able to "cancel" citizenships for all the kids under 16. I was 17 so I went to the Israeli embassy to do it myself. They asked me why and I told them that my whole family lives in the US so I don't need to be Israeli. No problem. ( Other ppl there told them stupid things like they were flying to Israel and wanted to cancel their citizenship.) They sent me a letter of cancelation and I had to always have it with me when I flew in and out of Israel. Eventually I lost it and they stopped asking me about it.
I know many people who sons had major problems and couldn't go back for many years until the army was willing to give them letters and let them come into the country.
As for your kids - if they want to go back they will be able to go back and make Aliya - they will be considered "Katin Chozer" a retuning minor - and will have less "zchuyot" than other people making Aliya. This applies to people who were 14 and under when they left Israel.
You may want to speak to speak to someone at the Israeli embassy or Nefesh B'nefesh.

https://www.gov.il/en/service/.....grant

amother
Tomato

Post Sun, Sep 04 2022, 11:17 pm
We have made the decision to renounce citizenship for myself and my children at this point. We made aliyah when they were little, but unfortunately, after a year we were forced to return to US (every rav we spoke to told us it was what we needed to do). My DH never made aliyah (he was planning to do it a bit later, but it never happened). My oldest will be 16 soon so we want to do it before then so she doesn't need to come with us.

I made an appointment at the consulate but I need to fill out the Form. My hebrew is decent, but not good enough for this (and I can't find it in English). Is there anyone here who could help me through it? If so, I'll post an anon email or pm you to connect. Thanks!

amother
Grape

Post Sun, Sep 04 2022, 11:34 pm
amother Tomato wrote:
We have made the decision to renounce citizenship for myself and my children at this point. We made aliyah when they were little, but unfortunately, after a year we were forced to return to US (every rav we spoke to told us it was what we needed to do). My DH never made aliyah (he was planning to do it a bit later, but it never happened). My oldest will be 16 soon so we want to do it before then so she doesn't need to come with us.

I made an appointment at the consulate but I need to fill out the Form. My hebrew is decent, but not good enough for this (and I can't find it in English). Is there anyone here who could help me through it? If so, I'll post an anon email or pm you to connect. Thanks!

How did you get an embassy appointment? And also, if you cancel citizenship can you still travel to Israel freely? I have not yet made my children citizens, they were born in the usa but I was born in israel. We are traveling to Israel in a few months and I was hoping they can go through on American passports but tried making an appointment at the embassy and can't get through.

amother
Tomato

Post Sun, Sep 04 2022, 11:47 pm
amother Grape wrote:
How did you get an embassy appointment? And also, if you cancel citizenship can you still travel to Israel freely? I have not yet made my children citizens, they were born in the usa but I was born in israel. We are traveling to Israel in a few months and I was hoping they can go through on American passports but tried making an appointment at the embassy and can't get through.

I made an appt on the consulate website. As far as I know, we’ll be able to travel as freely as any other American citizen. We might need to have our letter with us.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions