Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
S/O is imamother poor
Previous  1  2

nicole81

Post Mon, Sep 05 2022, 2:45 pm
amother Apricot wrote:
I wish you were realistic or maybe your just lucky but. 500/wk food is not a lot! Especially you have no idea how many kids she said 5-6 for tuition perhaps 2 more are home so for family of 10 500/week barely covers remember this is like $250 a year ago.
Re mortgage who pays 1k a month?! Is that legit? Definitely not everywhere you must be minority and very lucky!

Seriously! Even the families I know who bought very OOT about 10 years ago pay at least 1100. My friends who purchased in Brooklyn 20 years ago pay $1800. Now, even in some of the most OOT communities with 20% down, total payments are at least 2,000, sometimes nearer 3,000.

Food really is double. I remember when my husband and I challenged ourselves to feed our family of 8 on $600/month. We were able to do it pre-covid. I feel like just the barebones necessities (forget chicken, that's through the roof) are at least $1200.

Well... off to finish making our dinner of lentils and rice Very Happy

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 05 2022, 3:21 pm
So how much would be an ideal amount for a frum family in tristate area with say 4-5 kids.

amother
Opal

Post Mon, Sep 05 2022, 3:39 pm
nicole81 wrote:
Seriously! Even the families I know who bought very OOT about 10 years ago pay at least 1100. My friends who purchased in Brooklyn 20 years ago pay $1800. Now, even in some of the most OOT communities with 20% down, total payments are at least 2,000, sometimes nearer 3,000.

Food really is double. I remember when my husband and I challenged ourselves to feed our family of 8 on $600/month. We were able to do it pre-covid. I feel like just the barebones necessities (forget chicken, that's through the roof) are at least $1200.

Well... off to finish making our dinner of lentils and rice Very Happy

Yes that's about how much my mortgage is 1100 including tax and insurance. We do live out of town but in a bigger jewish community. My food bill definitly went up but I've been looking for ways to keep it down. Using the kosher food bank for example to get staples. We get a tuition break but full tuition for our four school age kids is about 37k. We pay about 10k less. Our income is about 165k pretax. Its tight but enough for now.

amother
Iris

Post Mon, Sep 05 2022, 4:00 pm
Interesting question OP!
So I always assumed that imamother is likely doing quite well, considering all the flashy ads on all corners of my screen.
But, hey you never now.
Perhaps PM Yael to ask her. I'm sure she'll feel touched by your care and concern.
Maybe we can start a chessed fund if imamother is struggling, to help it stay afloat.

amother
Eggplant

Post Tue, Sep 06 2022, 7:45 pm
We make roughly $4000 to $4500 a month.

$1500 to rent, water, sewer.

$1300 to phone, cable tv (we'll probably cancel it soon but somehow we are still making it work), car and renters insurance, electric, gas, and two car payments

$1000 to debt repayment ($130,000 in student loan debt and no, we won't be applying for Biden's $10,000 help) (another $20,000 in credit card debt or so)

$500 to groceries.

Two kids, no tuition, no health insurance (medicaid), no food stamps or WIC

People posting about manicures and vacations and cleaning help--- hahaha.

amother
Bellflower

Post Tue, Sep 06 2022, 7:58 pm
amother Eggplant wrote:

$1300 to phone, cable tv (we'll probably cancel it soon but somehow we are still making it work), car and renters insurance, electric, gas, and two car payments

$1000 to debt repayment ($130,000 in student loan debt and no, we won't be applying for Biden's $10,000 help) (another $20,000 in credit card debt or so)

$500 to groceries.

And this is why I say college is overrated

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Sep 06 2022, 8:05 pm
amother Bellflower wrote:

Like everything else in life, you have to do your research. Some degrees are more lucrative than others. Some degrees can really give you an edge in life, but some aren't worth the paper they're on. College is another tool in your arsenal for parnossoh, and you should do your research just like anything else. It's not a case where it's great for everyone, nor is it a case where you should just pooh-pooh it away.

amother
Sunflower

Post Tue, Sep 06 2022, 8:25 pm
amother Eggplant wrote:

$500 to groceries.

Why won’t you apply for Biden’s loan cancellation? Depending on yours plus your husband’s loans, it’s 20-40k gone. We make more and we’re going to use it to finish paying off ours. There’s no benefit to struggling more than needed. Maybe you can keep your cable longer this way and be a bit more comfortable.

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Sep 06 2022, 8:31 pm
amother Eggplant wrote:

$500 to groceries.

I'm pretty sure the debt forgiveness is automatic, you don't need to apply.

And if it isn't, please please apply, don't cut off your nose to spite your face.

MommyPhD

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 4:52 am

College was not overrated for me. I got grad degrees, and I just accepted a new job in university admin (that required those degrees) making a huge salary bump and I work from home the equivalent of 4-5 hours per day. It just depends what you want to do. I wanted to get a PhD and go into administration where I knew I would make good money for my family.

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 5:44 am
People don't realize that even if somebody is making a few hundred thousand dollars they are paying almost 50% in taxes in some places, paying full tuition, health insurance..
Even those of you getting your student loans cancelled, some states are going to pig off of that as well and charge you tax on it.

amother
Hyssop

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 5:45 am

I owe a ton in student loans and still don’t think it was a waste to get my degree. Ten years after graduation I actually make a lot per hour BH. I’m not saying you have to go to college to make money, but saying it’s overrated is a very blanket statement.

amother
Hyssop

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 5:47 am
amother Bisque wrote:
People don't realize that even if somebody is making a few hundred thousand dollars they are paying almost 50% in taxes in some places, paying full tuition, health insurance..
Even those of you getting your student loans cancelled, some states are going to pig off of that as well and charge you tax on it.

My husband got a $50k raise and we literally only see 50% of it.

amother
Stone

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 6:43 am
amother Opal wrote:
This is not realistic. 500/we for food is a lot!! Rent or mortgage is usually more like 24k although where I live oot it's more like 13k/yr. Tuition also a lot less where I live oot. Also the taxes are off. Especially with 5-6 kids.

Rent in a basement in Lakewood is about 2k now!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics