Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Harry Potter
Previous  1  2

GrowingUp

Post Tue, Aug 23 2022, 8:41 am
Goldie613 wrote:
And once you've read them, you can decide if you want to give Goldstein a try ;-)

It's a Jewish themed Harry Potter fanfic, but don't read until you've read some of the books, or you'll get lots of spoilers -

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1.....stein

This is one of my reasons for wanting to read the series. There are so many jokes I don’t get, so many references I just don’t understand. I want to be “in” the club.

GrowingUp

Post Tue, Aug 23 2022, 8:42 am
seeker wrote:
It's definitely binge-worthy so you will want to make sure to only get hold of one book at a time. You won't have to read all 7 straight but you will probably want to get to the end of each one once you start that one. And then book 6 makes you want to go ahead to book 7. Until book 6 I think you're fine going one at a time. You should definitely go for it because it's so wildly popular don't you want to know what you're missing? I don't think of the first ones as juvenile but I happen to like books written for younger (middle grades) readers.

I probably should only get one at a time, but I don’t have time to keep running to the library. I’ll have to practice self discipline.

GrowingUp

Post Tue, Aug 23 2022, 8:44 am
Thank you all for the push. I’ll see you on the other side.

I’ll try to come back here when I’m done to update you on how my life has changed.

Crookshanks

Post Tue, Aug 23 2022, 9:36 am
Yay so happy that you're joining this world. And you'll understand my username Very Happy

Roots

Post Tue, Aug 23 2022, 12:56 pm
you have got to read them. I read them as a teen as they were coming out and at least 3 times the whole series since I got married. every few years I start from the beginning. I think u will enjoy it a lot

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Aug 23 2022, 12:59 pm
I love the creativity and the sly humor, the fake Latin and all the rest. For example, Sirius Black's patronus is a dog, which is quite amusing if you know that Sirius is also called the Dog Star.

seeker

Post Tue, Aug 23 2022, 2:39 pm
GrowingUp wrote:
This is one of my reasons for wanting to read the series. There are so many jokes I don’t get, so many references I just don’t understand. I want to be “in” the club.

Personally I think that's a fine reason to go for it. There's a whole culture around it and if your peer group includes HP fans then it'll be nice to be in on it.

I also consciously choose not to be an intellectual snob about it. I'm not putting down people who enjoy picking apart literature, or people who just can't help seeing the flaws. I get it, I really do. But for myself I decided to turn down my critical lens so I could enjoy the books which for the most part are pretty fun and interesting. Some people are calling the first book juvenile but I love about it that it brings you into this whole world, while the others just build on that. I also found a lot of wry, tongue-in-cheek humor in that first one. The others have it too but I think the first was great. If you think too hard then yes there are a lot of flaws but you can also just get into it as just a book. It's not the bible, it doesn't have to be perfect.

But again, I find middle-grade fiction is often my sweet spot in terms of enjoyment so if you're more of a sophisticate then I can't help you.

amother
Lightcoral

Post Mon, Sep 05 2022, 11:48 pm
Have you read any of the books?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room