Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
What to serve on men's side for Bar Mitzvah kiddish
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 06 2022, 4:19 am
I just realized I don't really know what to serve.
I am planning on having miniatures some whole cake fruit cups salad chulent and kugel and some candy.
Do men eat all of this?
Anything else I should put out?

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Sep 06 2022, 4:20 am
All that plus herring/kichel, cake trays, schnapps.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 06 2022, 5:21 am
Do men appreciate miniatures?
They are so expensive so if they wont eat it I don't want to put them out?

amother
Carnation

Post Tue, Sep 06 2022, 5:23 am
They will probably eat them, but most won’t appreciate them enough to make it worthwhile imho. I’d leave them for the women’s side only.

amother
Hosta

Post Tue, Sep 06 2022, 5:26 am
amother OP wrote:

NO! Men want MEAT: hot pastrami, deli roll, pulled beef, yapchik, Jerky

Elfrida

Post Tue, Sep 06 2022, 5:41 am
amother Hosta wrote:
NO! Men want MEAT: hot pastrami, deli roll, pulled beef, yapchik, Jerky

That would probably be appreciated, but would add significantly to the expense. Don't feel you have to serve fleishics at a kiddush.

devoh

Post Tue, Sep 06 2022, 5:45 am
The basics Cake , Herring, Drinks chulent, Kugel.

amother
Hosta

Post Tue, Sep 06 2022, 5:47 am
Elfrida wrote:
That would probably be appreciated, but would add significantly to the expense. Don't feel you have to serve fleishics at a kiddush.

I hear that. I guess this is also community based. Kiddishim in my community are in shul and will always be fleishig

I also don’t think men eat or need much cake, fruit or salad. That’s for the women

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 06 2022, 8:19 am
My community does basic to over the top.
I don’t have money for such expensive types of foods.
I’m inviting the whole community which is over 200 people.

amother
Daffodil

Post Tue, Sep 20 2022, 1:14 pm
My community sounds like yours. I would do cakes/cookies/brownies for the men, but not miniatures. Definitely cholent and kugel and I think candy and fruit are a nice addition (yes, some men do eat fruit!), but not salads. You can put all the fancy miniatures and salads on the women's side.

Please disregard the poster who suggested deli roll and beef jerky, etc. Really not necessary if not in your budget.

Mazel Tov!

amother
Stone

Post Tue, Sep 20 2022, 1:33 pm
For men, I'd stick to bakery cookies, cut up cake, fruit, herring with crackers. If you can afford it, add chalont or kugel. Doesn't need to be both.

rachelli66

Post Tue, Sep 20 2022, 1:43 pm
Schnapps, Mezonos, Herring, Chulent, Drinks. for the kids, Kugel Mezonos, Drinks, Bissli, snacks.

amother
Magnolia

Post Tue, Sep 20 2022, 1:46 pm
The main think is to have enough of whatever you put out. So many times my husband will come back and say barely anything left after 5 min.
Also if kid has friends walking over they are expecting kugel and/or chulent after a whole davening..
By my last son we over ordered just to be safe.
We did cake platters mainly diff type of rugelach/babkas is what they like.
Diff Herring and crackers
Kugel and Chulent
Kibbeh, Lachmagin, chicken nuggets cause we’re Sefardic.

And this was considered standard but nice… his class had some over the top ones but we were not competing…

amother
Snowdrop

Post Tue, Sep 20 2022, 2:04 pm
amother OP wrote:

My husband is personally offended by the prevalent opinion that guys don’t like fancy cake. So much so, that at my son’s bar mitzvah, he insisted on equal opportunity sweet tables.

amother
Dandelion

Post Wed, Oct 05 2022, 7:59 pm
Just saw this (searching bar mitzvah)
Assuming this will still help OP:

In my community, men get platters of cake, bottles of soda, and either cholent or potato Kugel, and herring is optional.
Women will get cake (if fancy, miniatures), soda, same cholent/potato kugel, not the herring, and optional- additionally they'll get salad/fruit

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Oct 05 2022, 8:17 pm
amother Snowdrop wrote:
My husband is personally offended by the prevalent opinion that guys don’t like fancy cake. So much so, that at my son’s bar mitzvah, he insisted on equal opportunity sweet tables.

And where I come from, the women also enjoy herring, cholent and kugel.

Anon, because this is embarrassing to admit LOL

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 05 2022, 9:00 pm
Bh made my bar mitzvah.
I put out for the men some fancy cakes and pasta salad in addition to kugel chulent and herring and schnapps.
The men came to thank me for putting out fancy cakes but they did complain about certain cakes that were only by the women they wanted.
Can't win.

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, Oct 05 2022, 11:40 pm
amother Snowdrop wrote:

Excellent idea!

And I am personally offended by the prevalent opinion that gals don't like the same options as guys! So what about the yapchik etc for us?!

Bnei Berak 10

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 12:01 am
Do you absolutely need miniatures?
We have seen threads about furious ladies writing about very expensive miniatures served and gone within minutes, some taking multiple of them for their kids at home leaving none for adults. Just saying.

a2z

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 12:26 am
I've been at a kiddush that on the ladies side there was nothing to make mezonos on - nothing there was a kizait everything was fancy shmancy
By the men's side they had kugel and cholent and herring and crackers and maybe rugalach
Very disappointing ( and I didn't have anybody to get me the real stuff)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note