Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
School in Lakewood for ADHD boy?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 05 2022, 5:45 pm
Is there such a thing? I want a school that will tolerate my son off medication.

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Sep 06 2022, 8:16 am
Maybe mekor hachinuch

Chayalle

Post Tue, Sep 06 2022, 9:04 am
How old is your son?

I know someone who was in Mekor Hachinuch, and on days when he had behavioral challenges, they sent him home.

In general, this is what I've heard from parents of kids with ADHD and other behaviorally challenged kids. I guess it depends how much, but I don't think the schools handle the kids off meds well. Unless maybe kid has a shadow....otherwise it's too much for the Rebbe/staff.

amother
Offwhite

Post Tue, Sep 06 2022, 9:07 am
Mekor Hachinuch is super strict about kids taking their medication. So I wouldn’t look down that route if you want someone to tolerate your child off meds.

amother
Skyblue

Post Tue, Sep 06 2022, 9:12 am
amother OP wrote:
Is there such a thing? I want a school that will tolerate my son off medication.

It will depend a lot of what the off meds issues are. Disruptive or just spacey?

amother
DarkCyan

Post Tue, Sep 06 2022, 9:24 am
Mekor hachinuch does not use special methods or curriculum. They just have smaller classes. There is the assumption that they are more tolerant since they take children with learning challenges. But it isn't the case. They are strict. They use old fashioned methods of discipline, but they learn at a slower pace. I would not recommend for children with adhd. The best you can do is find an easygoing newer school.

amother
Freesia

Post Tue, Sep 06 2022, 9:26 am
AFAIK that doesn't exist. Maybe homeschool?

DD has ADHD and her school works very well with me but that's because they know I am fully on board with medication.

amother
Butterscotch

Post Tue, Sep 06 2022, 9:26 am
amother DarkCyan wrote:
Mekor hachinuch does not use special methods or curriculum. They just have smaller classes. There is the assumption that they are more tolerant since they take children with learning challenges. But it isn't the case. They are strict. They use old fashioned methods of discipline, but they learn at a slower pace. I would not recommend for children with adhd. The best you can do is find an easygoing newer school.

I have a nephew who was in mekor hachinuch. They tried to micromanage his meds, tell his parents what to tell the psychiatrist so he should get the meds they thought he needed.

amother
Viola

Post Tue, Sep 06 2022, 9:58 am
Would he have a shadow working with him? That’s really the kicker for whether or not a school can handle a child with more needs.

amother
Chambray

Post Tue, Sep 06 2022, 10:01 am
amother Butterscotch wrote:
I have a nephew who was in mekor hachinuch. They tried to micromanage his meds, tell his parents what to tell the psychiatrist so he should get the meds they thought he needed.

Same. Would not recommend the program under any circumstances.

amother
DarkCyan

Post Tue, Sep 06 2022, 11:18 am
amother Chambray wrote:
Same. Would not recommend the program under any circumstances.

Yeah that's what I really meant in kinder words. Definitely a psa

mha3484

Post Tue, Sep 06 2022, 11:23 am
My son with ADHD is older (turning 12 in the winter) I strongly strongly do not recommend a shadow at this age. It is beyond mortifying for them and I also think they really don't help the kid it just makes the school feel better. My son had a classmate in 3rd grade so 8-9 years old with a shadow and the boy found it extremely embarrassing. All the more so at age 10. Its not the solution.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics