Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Explain instagram business posting I dont get it

Somuch2

Post Mon, Sep 05 2022, 11:49 pm
I went to someone’s instagram account to see a bit more info about her business… all I see is pictures of her modeling and pictures of her family and things she’s doing.. in between she has business as well. I don’t use instagram so I have no clue what’s normal out there. I was so put off by this person that I don’t think I will use them at all. Is this normal? Can’t business be business?

seeker

Post Tue, Sep 06 2022, 12:05 am
I don't know but I was recently looking for a professional in a field that uses a lot of insta to show their work. Out of about 6 professionals that I looked up, only one had a link to a website or email address in their insta info! And only one other answered my direct message within a few days! What's the point of making all these fancy insta displays if people aren't going to know how to reach you?

SuperWify

Post Tue, Sep 06 2022, 4:42 am
Sadly, people are not interested in following businesses nowadays unless it includes the business owners personal life as well.

giselle

Post Tue, Sep 06 2022, 7:11 am
SuperWify wrote:
Sadly, people are not interested in following businesses nowadays unless it includes the business owners personal life as well.

I disagree. I think business owners use every opportunity as an excuse to post selfies and pictures of their life. I skip over all of those. No interest when a business owner decides to become an influencer. Unfollow.

Simple1

Post Tue, Sep 06 2022, 7:37 am
giselle wrote:
I disagree. I think business owners use every opportunity as an excuse to post selfies and pictures of their life. I skip over all of those. No interest when a business owner decides to become an influencer. Unfollow.

I don't understand the appeal of following a business. When I'm in the market, I will look them up at that time. But I can understand the appeal of following people with interesting lives.

giselle

Post Tue, Sep 06 2022, 8:27 am
Simple1 wrote:
I don't understand the appeal of following a business. When I'm in the market, I will look them up at that time. But I can understand the appeal of following people with interesting lives.

I guess I don’t see it as interesting, just fake. Although I agree with you about only following when I’m in the market…

seeker

Post Tue, Sep 06 2022, 9:50 am
The smart social media marketers (IMHO. I'm not a marketing professional) get and keep followers by providing value and interest in their business, not their personal life except major events and as it pertains to the business.

- tips on how to use and care for their product (you sell wigs and give touch-up instructions)
- tips or other products or ideas related to their product line (you sell organizing baskets and accessories, and you offer advice about decluttering even when it doesn't include your baskets)
- tips about their business that won't take away business because we still won't be professionals (e.g. makeup tips from a makeup artist. Love that feeling that you know how to do makeup like the pro does it, but the fact remains that if you need a face done for an occasion you're more likely to hire someone)
- stories that are interesting and still relevant (you're an event designer and just made a bar mitzvah for someone who found out they were Jewish at 35)
- stories about your business life (you had a setback and built back up and followers can be inspired by your business story)
- you had a new baby and (almost) everyone loves babies and also maybe you have someone else temporarily running your store that customers should know about
- sales and giveaways of course

So because you're offering useful information, inspiration, and deals, people keep following even after they aren't shopping for your product anymore. When they are shopping for it again or when a friend asks for a recommendation, your name pops into their mind because you're already there. And I think others can see who they follow so even if they aren't buying another wig but only following you for care advice and inspirational stories about your clients, their friend who is shopping for a wig might see you too.

It's content marketing and used to exist primarily in email but we are all overloaded with emails and never read them anymore. Bite sized social media stories are another way.

seeker

Post Tue, Sep 06 2022, 9:52 am
Oh and
- your personal life IS your business (you sell planners and you're using your planner to organize your life so you're sharing your calendar and yom tov menu... you sell tablewares so you post your tablescape every shabbos...)

Blessing1

Post Tue, Sep 06 2022, 9:52 am
SuperWify wrote:

I don't think so. When I'm trying to research a service or business, I'm not interested in seeing pictures of themselves, their kids, their vacations.... it makes me leave their page and look elsewhere. It's a turn off for me.

SuperWify

Post Tue, Sep 06 2022, 9:53 am
giselle wrote:

I’ve run many accounts for businesses. It’s a fact. People are nosy. Let me see your kids. Your bedroom. Your vacation. What your making for YT.. it’s very hard to keep content engaging whilst sticking to your business only.

Manageable… but harder.

Much easier to grow when your posting selfies.

I do stick to business and I never post personal. We will sometimes post a scenic picture of a nice vacation to keep followers engaged.

SuperWify

Post Tue, Sep 06 2022, 9:54 am
Blessing1 wrote:
I don't think so. When I'm trying to research a service or business, I'm not interested in seeing pictures of themselves, their kids, their vacations.... it makes me leave their page and look elsewhere. It's a turn off for me.

If your an Instagram follower who regularly watches just for content then you want more entertainment. If you want to find a hairstylist and search only when looking for then you are correct. But the main audience on Instagram watches for entertainment.

Blessing1

Post Tue, Sep 06 2022, 9:59 am
SuperWify wrote:
If your an Instagram follower who regularly watches just for content then you want more entertainment. If you want to find a hairstylist and search only when looking for then you are correct. But the main audience on Instagram watches for entertainment.

Makes sense.

seeker

Post Tue, Sep 06 2022, 10:07 am
I'm not saying the more professional instagrammers NEVER post their personal life. I'm saying it's not their main thing. They have you feeling like you have a relationship because you've seen how hard they work at their job and what challenges their business has been through and they've shared advice and help with you, so now you feel like a friend so you also get a vacation picture that comes with something vaguely relevant like "after a crazy intense season changeover, everyone needs to recharge!" or "Great to reconnect with @otherperson at the #peopleexpo" and the picture is basically just good food. But if too large a portion of their content is personal then yeah why should I follow someone I don't even know unless there is something super special about their personal life posts.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics