Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
How to explain to ds who wants medical device

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 10:08 am
Ds has a friend who has a medical device. (Continuous insulin pump)
He keeps asking for one, too

How do you explain this in a proper manner?

Hes 4.

amother
Sage

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 10:11 am
You don’t need it. He does.

Keep it simple

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 10:21 am
amother Sage wrote:
You don’t need it. He does.

Keep it simple

He keeps asking.

This is not going to go away.

"Why not?"
"Can I have one?"

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 10:29 am
amother OP wrote:
He keeps asking.

This is not going to go away.

"Why not?"
"Can I have one?"

Maybe list all other boys in the class that don't have the device either.

"The device helps keep Yitzi's body healthy. You don't need it because your body is healthy."

amother
Lemonlime

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 10:31 am
Oh the questions a 4 year old asks! They are non stop!

I've taken to answering that's how the company makes it when it goes on and on.

Can you say that's how Hashem made you? I'm no expert but we have a family member on oxygen. Dc asked a while ago (maybe at 2) and seemed satisfied. It is cousin's machine. Dc calls it that way.

Where is cousin's machine, cousin's machine makes noise etc.

gr82no

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 10:34 am
It’s the same kind of questions why does he have glasses, braces, brown hair, wheelchair.
Say this is how hashem made him and hashem made you not need it.
Maybe read the yossi and laibel book on the ball

amother
Topaz

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 10:43 am
I would try to explain a bit more. I would say there a a part of that boy's body, inside, where you cant see.. it's called a pancreas. And his doesn't work. So he needs a pump. Your pancreas works BH, so you don't need it! I know it looks cool but it's really not a toy or a fun thing.

amother
Hyssop

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 11:00 am
I have this with my kids. My son has leg braces and my other kids want to know when they're getting theirs... I try to explain that he needs more help getting stronger and you don't bh and that's a good thing (and they do see he falls more frequently etc) but I noticed that it comes from him getting more 'attention' so to speak because he gets more private time with me when he goes to therapy and the like so I've taken to spending special time with the others as well but with a friend I assume it's different.

amother
Jean

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 12:46 pm
Your friend has it , because its like a medicine for him.

If he doesnt have him he might get not well.
Just like when you have medicine when youre not well.

Bh you dont need it.

keym

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 1:25 pm
I wouldn't worry so much about making sure he "gets" it. Simple. He's 4. He wants what everyone else has.
If a neighbor had a super cool ball or scooter, he'd also constantly beg you for that.
Just when asked, repeat "XYZ needs it for his body to be healthy BH you don't" and distract.

No different than glasses, braces, hearing aids, eye patches, casts. They're cool.

It triggers us as adults because WE know that an insulin pump is not like a scooter but to a kid, it's really no different.

amother
Offwhite

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 1:34 pm
Just say - the doctor said he needs it.
My dd was begging for hearing aids like a classmate had. She had no idea what it was for, she just liked how it looked. I didn’t want to tell her that her friend was hard of hearing. Why should she look at her friend in a different way when she never realized there was anything wrong?

Elfrida

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 2:59 pm
Reminds me of my sister. She was the only one in the family who didn't need glasses, and she spent years begging for them. My mother even thought about getting her a pair with clear glass, just to shut her up. She didn't grow out of it until she was in her mid teens.

amother
Chambray

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 3:08 pm
My son also asked for one, I told him he cant get the actual pump, but can play with the extra supplies. He took the stickers, put it on his stomack, connected it to an old phone which was his pump, and it passed Very Happy

amother
Broom

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 6:28 pm
Pretend-play helps young children learn about the world around them. Of course you should tell him that his friend needs it and he doesn't. But he might benefit from playing with an old pager or clip-on phone to use as a pretend pump while he gets used to the idea (be sure to remove all batteries for safety).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics