Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
How to smooth the transition?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 06 2022, 11:30 pm
My 4 year old “baby” is starting pre-k tomorrow! It’s not her first time going out but she has a very hard time with transitions and adjustments. Due to several factors she was home with me for a large portion of the summer, including the last several weeks straight. She’s not my oldest but she’s certainly my most attached and most stubborn!

She keeps saying she doesn’t want to go and she just wants to stay with me Crying I know she will make a big fuss tomorrow. I will stay with her for a little bit but I know that staying longer just prolongs the agony… but I also know it takes her a long time to calm down and I always feel so sad knowing she’s sad Crying

Any tips to make her first day (and mine!) easier?

amother
Thistle

Post Tue, Sep 06 2022, 11:48 pm
Following. I’m in a similar situation to you OP. Sending love Heart.

amother
Lightgray

Post Tue, Sep 06 2022, 11:52 pm
Stay with her the first day for a bit and take her home with you. Second day stay a bit and then leave for an hour. 3rd day leave her for a longer then that. Ease her in slowly to enable a smooth transition. Role play going to school and say silly stories that relate to kids going to school on the first day. Joke with your kids that you will stay hidden in the cubby all day because you love them. Let them tell you that, that’s too silly and that mommies can’t stay. Good luck!

amother
Springgreen

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 12:17 am
Kiss her on the palm of her hand and tell her she can put it on her cheek throughout the day and it’ll be your kiss to her.
There’s a book about this not my idea The Kissing Hand

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 11:53 am
Thanks everybody!! Baruch HaShem it went much better than I expected! Praying she comes home happy!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers