Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Flip phone options for HOH
1  2  Next

PeanutMama

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 5:30 am
My husband wants to get me a flip phone.
I see some ads here in bp advertising kosher flip phones, I just would like to know what makes them “kosher” if we don’t eat them anyway.

Is there an option for people with hearing aids who are HOH (hard of hearing), I have an iPhone and I have an app for my hearing aids and I can change the settings depending which setting I am in, like a restaurant vs at the park vs home, obviously with a flip phone you can’t do apps. But I don’t know.

Thanks

amother
Bellflower

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 6:29 am
They’re kosher because they don’t have an internet option.

In your case I would say I need the iPhone for my disability but I am willing to go to Tag and have them block everything that is unnecessary. If you want that, obviously. Your husband shouldn’t be controlling your choices.

PeanutMama

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 6:36 am
amother Bellflower wrote:
They’re kosher because they don’t have an internet option.

In your case I would say I need the iPhone for my disability but I am willing to go to Tag and have them block everything that is unnecessary. If you want that, obviously. Your husband shouldn’t be controlling your choices.

I do have a filter through netspark. I send to skver cheder and apparently all the mothers don’t have a smartphone (my husband said this) and I don’t think it’s fair that my son should stick out.

I know ladies from my shul send there so I guess I can ask them….

(I won’t bring my iPhone to the school at all out of respect. If I’m at someone’s house I turn it off before I knock, I just wanna be sensitive to people’s stringencies)

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 6:39 am
You need a smartphone. Even if the flip phone had bluetooth, the quality of sound is different and incomparable. My relative hears all phone calls through bluetooth. Without the bluetooth he just cant hear as well over the phone (like if he calls though my phone).
You also won't be able to customize by location without a smartphone.

PeanutMama

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 6:46 am
amother Slateblue wrote:
You need a smartphone. Even if the flip phone had bluetooth, the quality of sound is different and incomparable. My relative hears all phone calls through bluetooth. Without the bluetooth he just cant hear as well over the phone (like if he calls though my phone).
You also won't be able to customize by location without a smartphone.

So then what do you think I should say to my husband, and what should he say to the school? There’s a rule I think that the mothers can’t have a smartphone even for parnosa

amother
Blueberry

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 6:48 am
Oh my gosh. You need the iPhone. It’s simple. You have a disability and the recent features on the iPhone help a ton. (My neighbor uses this - I think she uses the AirPods to hear. Also the “Live Listen” and other features).

You are an exception to the school rule. The same way that if there is a no dogs policy in a building they will allow a seeing eye dog.

sequoia

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 6:50 am
I am so infuriated on your behalf.

Want me to call your husband and give him a talking to cuz I’ll do it!

amother
Dustypink

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 7:20 am
Lots of people have two phones.

The flip phone they "talk" on......And the "other" phone for business or whatever. Shhhhh.

Your hearing aids are probably controlled by Bluetooth so you can keep your smartphone and drop the cell service.

Plus flip phones are pretty "smart" now and can have apps etc (before they're TAGged). I bet TAG or netspark might have ideas for you.

You need to do you, buy your husband has a good point about following your society's norms if you want yoi and your kids to be accepted. If what he's saying about your school is true. You should carefully consider.

Hotzlocha.

PeanutMama

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 7:31 am
amother Dustypink wrote:

The flip phone they "talk" on......And the "other" phone for business or whatever. Shhhhh.

Your hearing aids are probably controlled by Bluetooth so you can keep your smartphone and drop the cell service.

Plus flip phones are pretty "smart" now and can have apps etc (before they're TAGged). I bet TAG or netspark might have ideas for you.

You need to do you, buy your husband has a good point about following your society's norms if you want yoi and your kids to be accepted. If what he's saying about your school is true. You should carefully consider.

Hotzlocha.

Don’t worry, my husband means well.
(Replying to everyone before)

That’s basically my plan. I wanted to get a flip phone for a while but kept backing out because of the hearing aid’s features, which REALLY help me in many ways.
I can’t use a “music” setting in a restaurant, lol.

To make it a drop easier for me he said he wants to give me an iPad as a gift. But to be connected on the internet we need wifi (which we don’t have).

I don’t like the keyboard on the flip phones lol. I like the phones that have a full keyboard under the screen, I believe they’re called “slider” phones but I’m not sure.

scruffy

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 7:35 am
PeanutMama wrote:

That’s basically my plan. I wanted to get a flip phone for a while but kept backing out because of the hearing aid’s features, which REALLY help me in many ways.

To make it a drop easier for me he said he wants to give me an iPad as a gift. But to be connected on the internet we need wifi (which we don’t have).

I don’t like the keyboard on the flip phones lol. I like the phones that have a full keyboard under the screen, I believe they’re called “slider” phones but I’m not sure.

Unless I'm missing something, the latest generation these came in was 3G and they no longer make these. I miss mine. I would be so excited if someone would prove me wrong though Smile

PeanutMama

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 7:54 am
scruffy wrote:
Unless I'm missing something, the latest generation these came in was 3G and they no longer make these. I miss mine. I would be so excited if someone would prove me wrong though Smile

Whyyyyyy aren’t they a thing anymore?! The Samsung gravity was my first phone.
My fingers are too fast and I’m too impatient to press 4 times for a letter lol.

amother
Quince

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 8:03 am
scruffy wrote:

There's actually a new phone like that in the works from an English (Jewish) company. They are just waiting for Tag's approval (because they don't want it to be banned)

scruffy

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 8:22 am
amother Quince wrote:
There's actually a new phone like that in the works from an English (Jewish) company. They are just waiting for Tag's approval (because they don't want it to be banned)

OK that makes me so excited. I've heard rumors like that before, hope it comes through this time.

amother
Quince

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 8:53 am
scruffy wrote:
OK that makes me so excited. I've heard rumors like that before, hope it comes through this time.

I know someone from England that's already using it. The phones were already produced but they want it to be 'acceptable' before bringing it in

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 8:54 am
amother Dustypink wrote:

Hotzlocha.

Sorry but community norms should be altered for a very real and isolating medical condition.

Bluetooth needs the data/cell connection because at least with my family member's hearing aids that is how he can talk... it works so much better to use the smartphone bluetooth to make and receive calls. Even with his hearing aids he really cant hear if on a non blue tooth phone.
If he didnt have the smartphone he cant call family, work, attend remote shiurim, have his chavrusa...
Would you say a diabetic cant have an electric insulin pump? Some are connected to internet to track numbers. This is a Medical need. She said it already has a filter.

Goldie613

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 4:40 pm
amother Dustypink wrote:

Hotzlocha.

Agree with checking with TAG, etc - you can't be the first person to ask about this...

And yes, some flip phones now have apps, the question is, will they have the apps you need? Here's a couple of examples of this = https://www.t-mobile.com/cell-.....74685
https://www.t-mobile.com/cell-.....73640

Goldie613

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 4:43 pm
PeanutMama wrote:

Double check this part with apple - they used to sell a data plan as an option when you bought an ipad, which included wifi service (sort of like paying for a separate phone plan).

https://www.apple.com/ipad/cellular/

PeanutMama

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 10:28 pm
Sweet!

PeanutMama

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 1:06 am
I wasn’t able to find anything that’s not a touch screen.
I think I’m gonna get a basic phone, but I am having trouble which.
If I have to choose a flip phone which one is easiest to text on?

PeanutMama

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 5:56 am
Update my husband gave me a flip phone yesterday and we cut off the service on my phone and put up wifi.

It only has talk and text that’s it
It’s so different than having an iPhone without all the notifications and stuff.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics