Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cookbooks
Organizibg recipe ideas

mamaluv

Post Fri, Feb 22 2008, 11:35 am
I have so many recipes gathered in a box. Does anyone have a good idea on how to organize it easily and neatly? Or if you know where to buy a recipe book with extra cards, that isn't very expensive. I'd greatly appreciate.

red sea

Post Fri, Feb 22 2008, 11:42 am
a photo album with dividers for sections, put the recipes on index cards & a cute pic on the cover of cooking/baking

Last edited by red sea on Fri, Feb 22 2008, 11:42 am; edited 1 time in total

anuta

Post Fri, Feb 22 2008, 11:42 am
I have a two-fold way of organizing recipes.

I have them all on my computer in a recipe program. That helps with menus, shopping lists, ideas....

But when I cook, I like to have the recipe written down in front of me. So I also write my most used recipes on index cards. I bought three mini-folders for index cards with dividers: red, green, and blue. In red I keep my meat index cards, in green - parve, in blue - dairy. Each mini-folder has labeled dividers, so within each they are dividied into main dishes, desserts, sides, soups, etc. I also buy colored cards and write meat recipes on red cards, dairy - on blue, parve - on green or yellow. On white cards I write the contents of each section (I.e. meat main dishes) and put it in front of each section. That way I can see at a glance what I have, instead of sorting through a stack of cards. I sometimes also write down successful menus on white cards and tuck them at the back of each mini-folder....

Its also convenient because I can just pull out the cards I need, put away those that I am done with, and pin to the refrigerator the recipes that require some touch-ups before shabbat... I also like to write out the menu for shabbat or chag on an index card and put it on the fridge, so I don't forget during the day itself what is planned, and don't forget to serve something...

OldYoung

Post Wed, Apr 30 2008, 1:11 pm
I use a cheap photo album. the recipes aren't necessarily organized, but they're all in one spot. the ones that I actually wrote down on cards are put into sleeves, others that I've clipped from other places (cereal boxes, emails, etc.) I don't even bother copying down onto cards, I just slip those into sleeves too.

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Apr 30 2008, 1:13 pm
get a rolodex

ChossidMom

Post Wed, Apr 30 2008, 1:27 pm
I actually use an old fashioned metal box (small) with index cards, in abc order. Works for me.

Mimisinger

Post Wed, Apr 30 2008, 1:34 pm
I would love to be organized, but for some reason this is one place in my life that I just can't get it together...

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Apr 30 2008, 4:54 pm
mimi, maybe a good hot summer day, when you're home in the a.c., would do it for you ... or a few evenings.

Tila

Post Mon, May 26 2008, 7:45 pm
I have duotangs that have pockets on the sides. I have one for chicken(wrote chichen on top of spine in bold black letters) one for cookies etc...I also have a catch all file for recipes I see on the run in a newspaper and want to read it again, as well I keep a journal with each menu I have planned for shabbat and chagim. I also list the guests we invite with thier likes and dislikes. Sometimes I will write a recipe in there that someone will give me over the phone. any help??
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics