Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Live worm in barley, can I check and use the rest?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 1:22 pm
?

amother
Ebony

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 1:25 pm
I don't know!!!!!!!!!!
But which company is this bag from???

Daliya

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 1:28 pm
If the bug was completely removed, then I'm assuming you can use it if you wash it well. Though just the thought of having a live bug would make me dump the entire pack!
Why don't you ask a sheila? There are plenty dayanim out there. No men here Smile (I hope!)

zaq

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 2:26 pm
According to the book The Kosher Kitchen compiled and edited by Rabbi Zeev Greenwald and published by Feldheim, barley “that has been found to be infested should be soaked in salt water. The volume of water used should be twice that of the grains and two tablespoons of salt should be added per liter. The grains and water should be mixed and the insects and grains which float to the surface should be discarded.” After that, the grain which remains in the bowl may be used.

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 3:05 pm
Barley is often infested. The insect are usually at the bottom of the bag. Dump into a white plate and you'll often find.
The salt method described in a previous post is very important.
I stopped using it after finding insects too often. I use brown basmati rice.
Always store in your freezer.

amother
Copper

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 6:49 pm
amother OP wrote:
?

Uch, why would you want to?????
Cheap enough to buy a different bag!

amother
Sienna

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 7:14 pm
Isn't the point of checking it is to remove the insects? I'm not a Rav, but it seems logical to me that you can use the barley after checking and removing anything questionable.

amother
Red

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 7:17 pm
amother Copper wrote:
Uch, why would you want to?????
Cheap enough to buy a different bag!

If getting to the store is a hassle and you need to use the barley now?

renslet

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 7:35 pm
I love in Brazil where because of the heat, everything needs to be checked. I was told by a Rav that raw you can just remove the bug, use the rest. Once it's cooked it depends on how many bugs you find.
I find that with barley, the bugs are big and black so I dump out the bag and if there's bugs you can see right away, also if the bag looks floury, like white dust, it's usually infested.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 8:33 pm
zaq wrote:
According to the book The Kosher Kitchen compiled and edited by Rabbi Zeev Greenwald and published by Feldheim, barley “that has been found to be infested should be soaked in salt water. The volume of water used should be twice that of the grains and two tablespoons of salt should be added per liter. The grains and water should be mixed and the insects and grains which float to the surface should be discarded.” After that, the grain which remains in the bowl may be used.
thank you, how long should it soak? I bought another bag, but I only found one in the original bag that was opened but tied.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 8:35 pm
amother Ebony wrote:
I don't know!!!!!!!!!!
But which company is this bag from???
I don't know if the bug crawled into the bag after it was already opened, so maybe it's not the company.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 8:52 pm
I figured out what it was, it's a pantry moth larva, the yellow worm.

amother
Gray

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 8:56 pm
Huh? I don't think I ever found a bug in my barley .. I usually let it soak in water for 15 mins and then check

amother
Darkblue

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 9:19 pm
Ugh I wouldn’t use it
Ask a rov if u want

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 9:34 pm
I found another one after using the method zaq wrote, so I threw it out.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 9:58 pm
amother Ecru wrote:
Barley is often infested. The insect are usually at the bottom of the bag. Dump into a white plate and you'll often find.
The salt method described in a previous post is very important.
I stopped using it after finding insects too often. I use brown basmati rice.
Always store in your freezer.

So interesting, where I live you have to check brown rice with a strainer (like quinoa). Not white rice, only brown rice needs to be checked like that. So I just use barley. And I keep barley in my freezer.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen