Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
No drinking rule
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7

chanatron1000

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 9:59 am
"The children aren't dying of thirst" isn't a stronger argument than "the teacher isn't drowning."

amother
Nemesia

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 1:29 pm
Sorry Brisket Boss, one more!

How many of your kids sit down to play with their Legos, Barbies, smartphones etc etc with a water bottle? Yes, I know they have access to drinks in their homes, but how many actually leave their toys and go drink every 20-40 minutes??
They're more active with toys then sitting in class. (there are songs with motions but no running, moving the whole class.)

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 1:30 pm
amother Nemesia wrote:
Sorry Brisket Boss, one more!

How many of your kids sit down to play with their Legos, Barbies, smartphones etc etc with a water bottle? Yes, I know they have access to drinks in their homes, but how many actually leave their toys and go drink every 20-40 minutes??
They're more active with toys then sitting in class. (there are songs with motions but no running, moving the whole class.)

My kids carry water bottles around my house…

amother
Amaranthus

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 1:40 pm
amother Navy wrote:

I think that is over the top.
Do they suffer from anxiety?

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 1:42 pm
amother Amaranthus wrote:
I think that is over the top.
Do they suffer from anxiety?

No they don’t. They drink throughout the day. It’s a good thing. What’s the big deal having a water bottle with you.

amother
Amaranthus

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 2:02 pm
amother Navy wrote:
No they don’t. They drink throughout the day. It’s a good thing. What’s the big deal having a water bottle with you.

In your own home, it's over the top to carry a water bottle with you wherever you go and it might be stemming from anxiety to need to have water on you every second. Drinking non stop throughout the day, to the point of carrying a water bottle with them even at home, might be stemming from anxiety.

keym

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 2:06 pm
In your own home, it's over the top to carry a water bottle with you wherever you go and it might be stemming from anxiety to need to have water on you every second.

Or laziness?
My kids bring water bottles with them before settling down to Playmobil or a book.
They know they will feel thirst, and they don't want to interrupt the flow of their game to take a drink.
If they choose to ignore the thirst, then they get horribly irritable and headachy.
And my kids get stomach aches from drinking too much water at once. My 5 year old can't handle more than 4 oz in one shot. He has a small stomach. You know how you feel Erev Yom Kippur if you drink 6 cups in a row? A few sips every 10 minutes or so is a perfect balance.

crust

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 2:18 pm
amother Lavender wrote:
My students get a limited number of passes per week/month that they can use to leave and take a drink in the hallway and/or use their bathroom during class.

My friend's sister died because the teacher didn't allow her to go to the bathroom.

Yes this child was sick and the teacher didn't know just how sick but imagine the teacher would have allowed her to go. She might have still been with us.

I'm not trying to guilt trip any teacher I am just trying to make you think.

Teachers; But then the whole class will want to go!

Me; Make your class so warm and loving that no one needs to use the bathroom as an escape.

amother
Almond

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 2:57 pm
amother Navy wrote:

We leave a water bottle for each kid in the playroom. Cuts down on the asking me to go get them a drink

Rubies

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 2:59 pm
In your own home, it's over the top to carry a water bottle with you wherever you go and it might be stemming from anxiety to need to have water on you every second. Drinking non stop throughout the day, to the point of carrying a water bottle with them even at home, might be stemming from anxiety.

It's called being lazy. That's all. Smart way to remember to drink when thirsty.

Do you think all nursing mothers with water bottle are suffering from anxiety? Or conserving energy?

Not that I can handle unexpected puddles but in theory I'm all for it.

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 3:02 pm

Typical imamother attitude. If you say something I haven't heard of then I will say you must have issues ( emotional, physical, mental... ) Step out of your tiny bubble and realize people do things that are different than you and it doesn't mean something is wrong with them. It's a great habit to have a water bottle with you all day. Doctors encourage it. I see adults with bottles at their desks even though the water cooler is a few steps away. Seriously there is nothing wrong with not wanting to run to the kitchen to get a drink every time you need one.

Rubies

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 3:04 pm
crust wrote:
My friend's sister died because the teacher didn't allow her to go to the bathroom.

Yes this child was sick and the teacher didn't know just how sick but imagine the teacher would have allowed her to go. She might have still been with us.

I'm not trying to guilt trip any teacher I am just trying to make you think.

Teachers; But then the whole class will want to go!

Me; Make your class so warm and loving that no one needs to use the bathroom as an escape.

You know how kids are taught to respect teachers and principals? I think these concepts were drilled too strongly to the point of not physically being able to defy authority.

Everyone's always horrified at the disrespect found in schools nowadays - and as much as I'm horrified, a part of me is relieved that they have the ability to walk out of a classroom. To defy a teacher's nonsensical rule. To use some critical thinking as to which adults deserve respect and which don't.

Even though the balance needs to be found, until then I believe the downside of being too respectful is more dangerous.

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 8:42 pm
Hi, it's the teacher from page 1. Wow, this got so heated that I didn't want to post again.

I hate to say it, but I haven't been convinced. I'm with nemesia and her supporters all the way.

Most people who responded are not teachers. Kudos to the teachers who don't mind water and bathroom breaks unlimited. I do. I'm human, and it's not because I'm mean. I'm actually bli ayin hara a very beloved teacher.

I teach elementary school. I'm there for 3.25 hours per day. The girls have 3 scheduled times during those 3.25 hours to take drinks and go to the bathroom. I drink at recess. (To all those who thing witchy teachers like me drink in class but forbid our students to do so as well.)

In addition to their regular times use the restroom and take a drink, they have a pass a week. No they aren't punished if they go an extra time. If your child needs the bathroom more frequently, contact the teacher. She will likely say it's fine.

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 8:58 pm
Not allowing bathroom breaks or water anytime a student needs is abuse and cruel. Per halacha, if you have to go to the bathroom you are supposed to go, you can't do anything else including learn, not that you could even if you wanted to. Ask any rav. And I'm sure they would say the same about drinking. Why are you making bathrooms and water a power struggle. So some kids will take advantage, so what. If you are secure and confident enough, it shouldn't matter to you.

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 9:02 pm
After all this my daughter came home and told me her teacher doesn't allow the kids to use the bathroom. I'm so done with these horrific teachers. Stop patting yourself on your back thinking you are the best in the world when you don't care about the actual humans you are supposed to be caring for. That goes for drinking as well. It's pathetic and I'm sick of the control nonsense.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 10:56 pm
Lavender, what your doing is cruel. Please rethink your approach. You are inadvertently causing lots of harm to students and by extension their mothers. Being flexible is super important when educating. I am a teacher myself and I speak from experience.
I am also a mother whose daughter is suffering from a teacher like you.
Please rethink your approach.

amother
Broom

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 11:12 pm
Here's an idea: Instead of assuming that most students will abuse the "privilege" of drinking water and using the restroom and therefore restricting everyone, how about assuming that most students will use it appropriately, drinking when they need a drink and using the restroom when they feel the need? Those who cannot respect the class can potentially lose those privileges.

amother
Peru

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 11:55 pm
Didn’t read all of the posts, but as a teacher, here’s what I do. And I’d like to think it’s a happy medium. Elementary school.
As students line up to come in I tell them to get a drink of water/go to the bathroom. No water bottles in the room. Once they come in there are different hand signals if they need to leave for water, bathroom, a minute break. They signal when they leave and I allow +/- 2 students at a time. This way they can go but know someone might be waiting and they shouldn’t take advantage. Sometimes I say please wait if they just went, class just started, or class is almost over. If someone is out and someone else needs to go I ask to please wait until that person comes back, but if they can’t wait I trust them (I say this looking at them in the eye) and they can go. I haven’t had any problems BH.
And they aren’t with me for more then 1 hour straight.
Page 7 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 Recent Topics