Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Urgent! Share your story!
Previous  1  2

whewpy

Post Sun, Sep 11 2022, 7:58 am
The monies are not meant for education. According to the NYT, the schools received a billion dollars over 5 years for 50,000 children. It deliberately fails to mention that this was given for mandated services such as attendance records, breakfast and lunch programs, bussing, immunization records e.g. The monies received also include pandemic funds ( those food boxes everyone got...)

crust

Post Sun, Sep 11 2022, 8:17 am
whewpy wrote:
The monies are not meant for education. According to the NYT, the schools received a billion dollars over 5 years for 50,000 children. It deliberately fails to mention that this was given for mandated services such as attendance records, breakfast and lunch programs, bussing, immunization records e.g. The monies received also include pandemic funds ( those food boxes everyone got...)

I don't even know if it is worth it to untangle this article because it is so agenda driven to paint a certain image.

But if you're mentioning the billion dollars let me set the record straight;

The article says that in the last 5 years the NYS spent 1 Billion on our 50k kids.
That's 4k per child per year.

They don't bother mentioning that each child in the public school system in NY costs at least 20k per year.
That's 5,000,000,000 in 5 years.

Five times as much. Five times!

And that is without factoring in the money that it costs to prepare each child in public school for the exams.

There is so much distortion in this one article that it is hard to unpack.

As I said, it is an insult to my intelligence. On many levels.

naomi2

Post Sun, Sep 11 2022, 8:25 am
In NYC you are allowed to UNschool your children. So these parents can sign up to unschool their children and send them to cheder as extracurricular activities. They can all get their GED from a separate accredited Jewish organization.

whewpy

Post Sun, Sep 11 2022, 8:32 am
What exactly does unschool mean?

Mommyg8

Post Sun, Sep 11 2022, 8:39 am
crust wrote:
You make it sound as if suing the NYT is just a matter of a phone call.

This person's family and school are, contrary to what the article sais, not as rich as Johnny Depp is. They don't have the millions to pour into a defamation case.

I'm so confused. Did we read the same article? They were talking about our entire community, not just ONE person. UTA doesn't have deep enough pockets?

None of us want the New York Times to write this. They obviously do not have our best interests in mind. But think about this - wasn't this kind of article inevitable? At some point.

ETA: I apologize, THIS is the article I read:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/0.....ooter

crust

Post Sun, Sep 11 2022, 8:52 am
Mommyg8 wrote:
I'm so confused. Did we read the same article? They were talking about our entire community, not just ONE person. UTA doesn't have deep enough pockets?

None of us want the New York Times to write this. They obviously do not have our best interests in mind. But think about this - wasn't this kind of article inevitable? At some point.

A few points;

1. This was about all of us but I was referring to their claim that they did "months of research and interviewing 200 plus people and thousands of documents".
This is what you came up with after all of that?!!
This? Some stupid remarks from a delusional person? And you couldn't even verify it with his family or school to make sure you're not quoting things that aren't true?
You call this research?

2. The person I am talking about is not from UTA but I hear your point.

3. I don't think NYT will write good things about us even if we do everything right.
Ay, we have to do our hishtadlos to prevent antisemitism?
I agree.
I just don't think anything we do will bear the fruits that we want to see.

4. I did see that the Tzedek organization put out something.

whewpy

Post Sun, Sep 11 2022, 9:00 am
From some preliminary research I've done on unschooloing, students stoll are required to learn all compulsory subjects equivalent to public schools

naomi2

Post Sun, Sep 11 2022, 9:53 am
whewpy wrote:
From some preliminary research I've done on unschooloing, students stoll are required to learn all compulsory subjects equivalent to public schools

And they do, during the course of a regular day. There is a small amount of paperwork as well. All in all, I don't think it's a bad option to look into

skyeblue

Post Wed, Sep 21 2022, 1:42 pm
momaleh wrote:
You probably heard of the horrible NYT coverage of Chasidic Yeshivos. They actually have this page LOOKING for more stories! "We need your help!" Running a terrible smear campaign!

If you went to a Chasidic school, please fill it out with GREAT stories! Please storm their newsroom.

This is the link on their web site:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/0......html

These people are despicable.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics