Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Thank you cards

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 11 2022, 6:21 pm
how do I write a thank you note for a simcha gift for someone who didnt show up (they actually were not invited - the simcha was for immdeaite family only)? it feels weird to write "thank you for your gift".

also, please help with an adjective for a gift certificate gift. I cant write thankyou for your thoughtful ( I dont feel like gift certificates take much thought) or generous (it wasnt very large).

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Sep 11 2022, 6:34 pm
Certainly you can use "thoughtful" and "generous." It is thoughtful to send a gift card and it is generous even if it is a lower amount than typical. Why not assume the gift giver doesn't have much $ for gifts and gave to the best of their ability, which would be the definition of thoughtful and generous....

SG18

Post Sun, Sep 11 2022, 6:37 pm
Dear _____,

Thank you for your generous gift. We look forward to sharing many שמחות in the future.

All the best,

ra_mom

Post Sun, Sep 11 2022, 6:41 pm
Thank you for sharing in our Simcha through your thoughtful gift.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sun, Sep 11 2022, 6:46 pm
Just the fact that they thought of you and gave any unexpected gift is "thoughtful" and "generous".

amother
Camellia

Post Sun, Sep 11 2022, 7:20 pm
You're not giving testimony in a court of law, honey. Just as you lie through your teeth when you tell your ninety-six-year-old Aunt Fannie she looks like a debutante, you can lie through your teeth when you write a thank you note. First of all, it was certainly both thoughtful and generous of people to send you a gift when you didn't even invite them to your simcha. What were you expecting, exactly? A hand-painted portrait of you and your chosson, or whatever your simcha was? And second of all, even if you hated the gift and it was obviously regifted because the card inside said "Happy Retirement, Morticia!" you still send a gracious thank you note, because that's the right thing to do.

Speaking of hashgacha protis, this article with TY note guidelines appeared just today on this website :https://www.apartmenttherapy.com/thank-you-note-tips-37131133. Coincidence? I think not.

I do, however, applaud you for realizing that you owe these people a thank-you note, which is more than can be said for many of your contemporaries.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette