Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
I Already Miss My Summer Boy

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 06 2022, 11:45 pm
School
The leaves are starting to change colors.
The geese are gradually heading south.
The air is tingling with the spark of
New Beginnings.
A new school year
A new grade
A new knapsack
New shoes
Eyes sparkle
Steps bounce
Shoulders are thrust back, ready to conquer-
Except you.
My Son.
I watch as your eyes dim
Your step drags
Your shoulders hunch, ready to surrender.
New Beginnings
For you those Beginnings have Ended long ago.
The boy that ran and laughed and explored all summer
He is transforming.
Back to his school self.
Now he doesn’t run, he doesn’t laugh, he doesn’t discover.
He is being smothered
Misunderstood
Tortured.
I watch in dread.
I am scared- so, so scared that this time it might be for good.
What if I never get back that Summer Boy?
What if school finally succeeds in stamping him out- Forever?
I can’t watch.
I want to run away with you and hide.
Somewhere where school does not exist.
Somewhere where you can run and laugh and explore until you find what you are looking for.
I love you so much.
But I send you every day to your doom.
I have no choice, my son.
I smile as I kiss you Goodbye, but inside I’m crying.
I pack you an extra treat, but inside I am sending you with so much more.
My prayers.
My pleas.
He is the only One who can help you there.
I have no strength left to fight this system.
I have to save my strength to support you when you come home.
So instead I turn to Him.
Only Him.
May He guide you, my son.
May He turn the hearts and minds of those around you to look upon you with Love.
May He bless your teachers with the gift of understanding.
May He protect your inner self so that no matter what, they can not damage you.
May He bring you back home to me with that sparkle in your eye.
Maybe…just maybe…this year will be different.

amother
Green

Post Tue, Sep 06 2022, 11:46 pm
Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying

amother
Butterscotch

Post Tue, Sep 06 2022, 11:49 pm
Maybe you should switch school. It shouldn’t be that way

amother
Mimosa

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 12:04 am
I'm a teacher.

I appreciate that you posted this. It's a good reminder for teachers.

May your son have much hatzlacha this year! May he blossom and grow happily!!

yiddishmom

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 12:08 am
Oiy, my eyes welled with tears!

May Hashem watch over each of his children. May He let each precious child of his recognize his/ her own great and unique potential, and may those around each child recognize the great neshama within each body.

I hope this year brings lots of bracha, hatzlacha, siyata dishmaya, simcha, and harchavas hadaas for all of us!

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 12:14 am
Crying. I'm so looking forward to the destruction of desks.

ProudMommie

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 12:16 am
This brought tears to my eyes. I understand and feel you.. It is so so difficult.
Take strength in that you are a good mother!! You understand and deeply love your children, and feel their pain!!
I have no problem with children going through growing pains.. but this golus is so so dark and deep and our children are suffering from people who don't care and don't know how to educate but only to tear down... I can only speak about yeshivas... and I don't even want to say what I am thinking.. The systems we have in place in the frum/chareidi world are ridiculous.. they are destroying our children...

I don't know what to do about it..

Dealing with my own peckela in this regard...

HKBH should send us and the FATHERS clarity and strength to do the right thing whatever it may be..

crust

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 12:17 am
Hard to read OP. So hard to read.
My ears physically hurt to hear this. So painful.

I feel dumb to ask if this is final? As in, are there absolutely no other options even if it means coloring out of the line?

I feel dumb because you seem so in tune with your child and I am sure you have exhausted all options.

But, being that I have just witnessed this parsha with one of my friend's children I know that parents get crushed in this process and they can sometimes be too lost to take action.

If that is the case, please please don't hesitate to reach out to me. I can offer to make necessary phone calls for you.

Ps I love the term- my summer boy. I'm stealing it.

ProudMommie

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 12:19 am
yiddishmom wrote:
Oiy, my eyes welled with tears!

May Hashem watch over each of his children. May He let each precious child of his recognize his/ her own great and unique potential, and may those around each child recognize the great neshama within each body.

I hope this year brings lots of bracha, hatzlacha, siyata dishmaya, simcha, and harchavas hadaas for all of us!

So beautiful.. Amen v'Amen!!!

amother
Crocus

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 12:23 am
Oy op. This hurts. Both as a mother and as someone who was just like your son in school.
It's so sad to watch ,as you so well put it , the smiles of excitement growing dimer with each passing year.

ProudMommie

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 12:34 am
I am in EY.. reading the replies.. and very moved how many mothers are feeling this poem and connecting to this.. No, it should not be that way..

I am a former teacher (I taught college students though) but this is absolutely unacceptable! Schools should inspire and elevate students.. ESPECIALLY when they are learning the Heilege Torah!!!! The fact that in this poem, school is described as a torture chamber .. as it is for many kids r'l.. is UNACCEPTABLE!! I honestly cry about this all the time.. I have no idea what to do about it..

In EY they are somewhat trying to create a different school environment in a few limited places.. but what is being done is not nearly enough.

My boy just came yesterday from his yeshiva ketana totally discombabulated and distraught.. The mashgiach yelled at him for getting water (which they can do) and copied him when he pointed to his throat because he forgot the word for throat in Hebrew... My son is good boy and is very well behaved.. and they just started school.. the mashgiach started yelling already the first day.. and one of the menahelim totally excused his behavior.. like its fine... they have a theory I guess that it will somehow instill fear in the kids.. no it will not..they just will lose respect .... Just disgusting.. in this generation? We are all barely hanging on!!! To stam raise your voice like that at kids.. on what basis? What educational methodology book is that from...?

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 12:42 am
Op please do something about this. Homeschool, change schools, anything.

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 12:50 am
Yesterday I was crying for my friend's little boy who doesn't have a school yet.
Today I cry for OP's little boy, who has a school but it seems to break him instead of build him.
Sometimes this school system feel like Galus itself.
My heart breaks for these precious children.
Please watch over your children, Hashem.
Let them be happy instead of sad
A succuss, not a failure
Smiling, joyful, and eager.
Please allow them to embrace the day, not dread it.
And please Hashem let every child be embraced, by a school, by their teachers, by their peers, their family. And most of all, let them all feel embraced by you.

ProudMommie

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 1:07 am
amother Oxfordblue wrote:
Yesterday I was crying for my friend's little boy who doesn't have a school yet.
Today I cry for OP's little boy, who has a school but it seems to break him instead of build him.
A succuss, not a failure
And please Hashem let every child be embraced, by a school, by their teachers, by their peers, their family. And most of all, let them all feel embraced by you.

"Sometimes this school system feel like Galus itself." yes:(((((((((

And Amen to your brachos!!!!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 10:48 pm
amother Oxfordblue wrote:
A succuss, not a failure

Amen!!!!!!! So beautifully said!
I am so touched by all your responses, thank you so much for all your support.

Unfortunately we were busy the past year with another child facing a life threatening illness, bH that child is now in remission and my focus this year is getting my son switched out to a new school. But it’s so, so hard where I live!!

To the poster who is a teacher, your post was especially meaningful to me, thank you for sharing that. Your students are lucky to have you!

BHatzlacha to all!

aweinback

Post Mon, Sep 12 2022, 8:54 am
If anyone out there is at the helm of any of our mosdos, I am so curious to know what is stopping us from change?
We all admit this system is broken, it doesn’t work for the kids, everyone is suffering- the students, the parents, the teachers…
Why can’t we fix it?
Is it a money issue? Practicality? What’s holding us back, I honestly am curious?
Why do the classrooms today still look identical to the classrooms from 30 years ago, while in every other area we have come leaps and bounds?
Any insight?

momof2sofar

Post Mon, Sep 12 2022, 11:01 am
I felt this so deeply. I miss my Summer Daughter.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics