Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Quitting an impossible situation

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 6:39 am
I’m OP from some of the threads complaining about brutal work hours and not getting nursing breaks at work. I’ve decided to quit, finally. Problem is that it’s a few weeks into the school year and I am the sole morah in a class of thirteen 15 months- 2 year olds. I don’t want to be mean to my boss/ school but I just can’t do this anymore. ( the reason I am quitting at this bad time is that I ended up having to work more hours than I was told I would and it’s not fair to my nine month old baby to never see me. There are a lot of other things wrong with the way the school treats teachers but I’m trying not to get into them. That’s not the point of this thread. The point is to ask- how do I give notice/ leave with grace, knowing that I really am leaving this school in an impossible situation?

DVOM

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 6:40 am
Typical notice is 2 weeks.

amother
Jean

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 6:49 am
I don’t know anywhere where 13:1 under 2 year olds is legal or even accepted ratio...

Standard is 2 weeks notice. Nice would be “after yontif” since they’re not going to find someone willing to start while making YT.

“ The hours here are more than I expected and really not working for me or My family (I am happy to work part time?). I will stay till x date to allow you to find a replacement, but I can’t do it all year.

imasinger

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 6:56 am
Be very clear in your own mind that this is your decision. How will you handle it if they beg? If they tell you they need more time to find another teacher?

It's probably best if you submit a written resignation, with an end date. RH or YK might make good natural stopping points. You can soften this if you want, but here's an idea of what to say:

"Dear ____, due to a combination of personal and professional factors, I will be leaving the position of ____' as of _____. I realize that staff changes during the year are difficult, but what is being asked of me is not what I agreed to do, and therefore, I cannot continue. Sincerely, OP."

If you wish, you can agree to stay a little longer on a new agreement, which specifies nursing breaks and the hours you want. But, given the history, I wouldn't suggest it.

amother
Lightgreen

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 7:03 am
Good for you OP! You're doing the right thing (I remember your thread and I remember advising you to leave).

SG18

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 7:06 am
Give a resignation date and make it clear that that is your last day. I left a job with ample notice (about two months) for maternity leave and my boss didn't find a replacement in that time. He wanted me to just continue until he found someone.
If you give them room to walk all over you, they'll continue to do so. You have to stand firm and actually leave.
Give two week's notice and then don't go back in.

lamplighter

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 7:39 am
At this point in the year I think saying that you won't be coming back after Yom tov is fair.
Be firm about your decision.
I do feel bad for the school/kids but that's just life.

amother
Petunia

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 7:41 am
Do you get paid for Yom Tov? If yes, then your last day should be the end of October so you get paid for Sukkos

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 8:06 am
Instead of quitting can you cut your hours back down?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics