Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
NY declares state of emergency over Polio

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 10:17 am
Taking out excerpts from an article, the bolded parts are by me

"Over the summer, New York confirmed its first polio case from an unvaccinated adult in Rockland County. Wastewater samples in NYC and three other counties have since tested positive for the virus, with an estimated hundreds of people infected. Now, state and local officials are racing to make sure people are vaxxed. NY Gov. Kathy Hochul (D) declared a state of emergency to include pharmacists, midwives, and EMS workers as medical workers who can administer the vaccine. Nearly 80% of NY state residents are vaxxed for polio, but officials want to see that number climb above 90%. "

"In the 20th century, the virus infected tens of thousands of people. By 1952, the polio epidemic was the worst outbreak in US history. There were nearly 60,000 reported cases of the infectious disease. Thousands of people were left paralyzed and more than 3,000 died — with kids suffering some of the worst impacts. Scientists were able to get a vaccine on the market in 1955. And in 1979 the US was polio-free."

I just want to bring awareness to this for a few reasons:
1- We truly do not want a polio outbreak in our communities, this disease can have lifelong effects for children. Let's be smart.
2- Unfortunately, the orthodox Jewish communities have dealt with a lot of negative press in regards to vaccines in the past (even pre-covid, think measles) so we have to watch out for the reputation and image of our communities. Yes, I do feel that it causes increases in anti-semitism when the Jews are said to be responsible for spreading preventable diseases.

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 10:20 am
Declaring a state of emergency?
Prior to midterm elections?
Now where have we heard this one before…
Not minimizing polio Chas v shalom
But sure not buying this fear mongering either

amother
Dandelion

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 10:22 am
amother OP wrote:

"Over the summer, New York confirmed its first polio case from an unvaccinated adult in Rockland County. Wastewater samples in NYC and three other counties have since tested positive for the virus, with an estimated hundreds of people infected. Now, state and local officials are racing to make sure people are vaxxed. NY Gov. Kathy Hochul (D) declared a state of emergency to include pharmacists, midwives, and EMS workers as medical workers who can administer the vaccine. Nearly 80% of NY state residents are vaxxed for polio, but officials want to see that number climb above 90%. "

"In the 20th century, the virus infected tens of thousands of people. By 1952, the polio epidemic was the worst outbreak in US history. There were nearly 60,000 reported cases of the infectious disease. Thousands of people were left paralyzed and more than 3,000 died — with kids suffering some of the worst impacts. Scientists were able to get a vaccine on the market in 1955. And in 1979 the US was polio-free."

I just want to bring awareness to this for a few reasons:
1- We truly do not want a polio outbreak in our communities, this disease can have lifelong effects for children. Let's be smart.
2- Unfortunately, the orthodox Jewish communities have dealt with a lot of negative press in regards to vaccines in the past (even pre-covid, think measles) so we have to watch out for the reputation and image of our communities. Yes, I do feel that it causes increases in anti-semitism when the Jews are said to be responsible for spreading preventable diseases.

Sorry but the negative press is not much to our doing. Most of it is pure hate.
No other communities that did actual terrible things got flack like we did.
So no, I will not fall for Hochul’s new brainstorm. It’s not about our safety. It’s all about elections and scapegoating the Jewish people.

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 10:23 am
theyre not vaccinating for covid as much anymore so theyre looking for something else to make panic about in order to make more $$$ from vaccines

lora

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 10:25 am
BH my family is all vaccinated but curious, have there been any reports of kids/adults seriously ill with Polio in this new outbreak?

amother
DarkRed

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 10:28 am
lora wrote:
BH my family is all vaccinated but curious, have there been any reports of kids/adults seriously ill with Polio in this new outbreak?
1 person r”l. But nobody else is being tested, except for the wastewater.

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 10:30 am
Where is this article from? Can you link the full article?

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 10:37 am
Why did I get a hug?

amother
Grape

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 10:39 am
[quote="amother OP"]Taking out excerpts from an article, the bolded parts are by me

This is so silly. The heavy burdensome state regulations created limitations to the medical system; the state of emergency lifts the regs temporarily. Why not make it permanent? So that pharmacists midwives etc can administer vaccinations if a patient requests it? Instead of making it a temporary bandaid.

Unless the state is using this as a rationale for the state of emergency - and it's not truly for this purpose.

I think it's both. As a licensed mental health professional, I can attest to the burdensome NYS regulations on the profession. I have no doubt there are similar issues across all medical/mental health professionals licensed in NYS.

Amarante

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 10:53 am
lora wrote:

So far there has only been one reported case but the high prevalence of the virus in the waste water in certain zip codes and counties indicates that the virus is circulating among the community

The percentage of vaccination is still relatively high but not high enough for real herd immunity so there does exist the possibility of a non vaccinated person coming in contact with the virus.

The virus is spread principally through fecal matter and it only takes an "invisible" amount to infect so potentially you could have a young child who has a mild or asymptomatic case and doesn't have the best hygiene who touches surfaces with dirty hands and someone then unknowingly touches that surface. Or the same scenario in a public place where someone touches a surface or door handle.

Member24

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 11:24 am
[quote="amother Grape"]
amother OP wrote:

This is so silly. The heavy burdensome state regulations created limitations to the medical system; the state of emergency lifts the regs temporarily. Why not make it permanent? So that pharmacists midwives etc can administer vaccinations if a patient requests it? Instead of making it a temporary bandaid.

Unless the state is using this as a rationale for the state of emergency - and it's not truly for this purpose.

I think it's both. As a licensed mental health professional, I can attest to the burdensome NYS regulations on the profession. I have no doubt there are similar issues across all medical/mental health professionals licensed in NYS.

This is a very interesting point. So what you're saying is that they are only declaring a state of emergency to make it easier for people to access vaccines, not because the situation is dire- am I understanding this correctly?

amother
DarkRed

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 1:14 pm
Member24 wrote:
This is a very interesting point. So what you're saying is that they are only declaring a state of emergency to make it easier for people to access vaccines, not because the situation is dire- am I understanding this correctly?
This is exactly the point of the state of emergency. They are not even trying to hide it.

amother
DarkRed

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 1:33 pm
There have been a lot more cases of AFM caused by another enterovirus, D68, in the past few weeks but I don’t see anyone declaring a state of emergency over that.

Oh, maybe it’s because we don’t have a vaccine for it.

amother
Canary

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 1:53 pm
There is no emergency. There are thousands of pediatricians, doctors, urgent cares and er to get a vaccine if the tiny percent who are not vaccinated want it. This is pure political b.s.

amother
Maple

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 2:12 pm
I'm old enough to remember an emergency scare about measles. Which coincidentally was also blamed on the Jews.
The day the religious exemption in NYC was repealed, measles magically vanished.

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 2:15 pm
More power grab through emergency order. Ugh
Fear mongering to get and force people to give up their civil rights. One could even say “semi fascism”
Mass Write in voting comes next

imorethanamother

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 3:16 pm
It's all a conspiracy theory until someone you know gets polio.

In 70 years, pray tell, what "money" has the big pharma companies made off of the vaccine that they wouldn't make MORE off by keeping someone on a ventilator their whole lives?

In 70 years, what side effects or DNA mutations has polio vaccines caused?

What part of the article blames Jews?

I am so tired of people actively trying to hurt another little child who has done nothing wrong in their lives. Maybe let your kids play with matches next. Burn all the antibiotics in the world, it's nothing more than Big Pharma trying to take all your money.

amother
Stoneblue

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 3:26 pm
Thousands of illegal aliens are dropped off in NY in the middle of the night without anyone checking to see if they are vaccinated but its Jews who are being blamed for the polio in the wastewater. Why arent Jews standing up against this tyranny and antisemitism coming directly from democrat politicians?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics