Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Always been embarrassed to ask but…
  Previous  1  2  3 16  17 18  19  20  Next

amother
Brown

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 11:39 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hi all…
Decided to try to say the Pirkei Avos cycle each Shabbos afternoon until Shavuos. I forgot yesterday - too late ?

Somehow I always think of this as a summer thing (sigh).

From when to when does it actually go, and how are you supposed to know what week you are supposed to be on (assuming there is a "supposed to be" in terms of this)?

BH Yom Yom

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 12:17 am
From the Shabbos after Pesach til and including the Shabbos before Rosh Hashana. One perek a week.

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 4:11 am
BH Yom Yom wrote:
From the Shabbos after Pesach til and including the Shabbos before Rosh Hashana. One perek a week.

The last cycle will often have weeks with 2 perakim. Most Jewish calendars (at least those I’ve seen) list the perek/perakim for each Shabbos.

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 3:41 am
Hi all! As I live nearby , I visit the Ohel from time to time to daven. I see people writing on a paper, reading it at the actual kever and ripping it up before throwing it in. Can someone please enlighten me ? Is there a specific procedure to this ? What does one write on the paper? Thanks !

amother
Clear

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 3:53 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hi all! As I live nearby , I visit the Ohel from time to time to daven. I see people writing on a paper, reading it at the actual kever and ripping it up before throwing it in. Can someone please enlighten me ? Is there a specific procedure to this ? What does one write on the paper? Thanks !

https://www.chabad.org/therebb.....l.htm

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 10:18 am
Thank you ! This was very helpful! Is there a standard of how many times to rip up the paper? Someone told me 4, someone else told me 5.

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 4:00 am
Not a halacha question, but... what do you say to the kallah/kallah's mother when you go up to see them by kabalas panim? What do you talk about when you dance with them in the middle of the circle?

Iymnok

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 4:09 am
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
Not a halacha question, but... what do you say to the kallah/kallah's mother when you go up to see them by kabalas panim? What do you talk about when you dance with them in the middle of the circle?

Besides, “mazal Tov, you look beautiful “?

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 4:53 am
Iymnok wrote:
Besides, “mazal Tov, you look beautiful “?

Yes : ) thanks

amother
Wallflower

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 4:59 am
amother [ Violet ] wrote:

You look beautiful, the girls looks beautiful, I’m so happy for you… more of that if you want…

amother
Seablue

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 5:50 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you ! This was very helpful! Is there a standard of how many times to rip up the paper? Someone told me 4, someone else told me 5.

I've never heard of this. I rip mine in the tiniest pieces because that's what I like to do. Except lately when I've gone it's been so crowded plus me holding a heavy toddler that if I manage to rip it once or twice I'm good.
I cannot believe how crowded it is whenever I go. You need 770 Tishrei experience to push in there.

Window

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 6:50 am
invisiblecircus wrote:
I do it this way too. I hold that the bracha is always said before performing a mitvah. I also say the bracha before lighting Shabbat candles and before immersing in the mikvah (the latter also allows me to say the bracha while covered) but many people do not do it this way.

What? Never heard of this. The Bracha is usually said before the mitzvah, but there are some exceptions for GOOD reasons. After you say the Bracha for shabbos candles, it is shabbos and fire is muktza!

amother
Lightpink

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 8:06 am
Reviving this great thread to ask this question... (I'm usually off flour so it didn't come up that often, but I'm pregnant now and I need the carbs...)

I don't know how to bentch the Al Hamichya if I eat both fruits and mezonos at one meal- separately it's easy but if I'm eating both how do I combine the 2 parts?

mamaleh

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 8:34 am
amother Lightpink wrote:
Reviving this great thread to ask this question... (I'm usually off flour so it didn't come up that often, but I'm pregnant now and I need the carbs...)

I don't know how to bentch the Al Hamichya if I eat both fruits and mezonos at one meal- separately it's easy but if I'm eating both how do I combine the 2 parts?

Say the words for grains then the ones for fruit, add a vav before the fruit ones. ‘Al hamichya v’al hakalkala v’al haeitz v’al pri haeitz’

amother
NeonBlue

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 9:21 am
Keep in mond the bracha achrona for fruits is borei nefashos, unless they're fruits of the seven species: grapes, figs, pomegranate, olives, dates (wheat and barley- these two don't apply as we eat them after grinding and processing so they're al hamichya). If you eat cookies and apples the bracha achrona is al hamichya and borei nefashos. If you had cookies and grapes it's al ha'aretz ve'al hamichya ve'al hapeiros.

mamaleh

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 9:31 am
amother NeonBlue wrote:
Keep in mond the bracha achrona for fruits is borei nefashos, unless they're fruits of the seven species: grapes, figs, pomegranate, olives, dates (wheat and barley- these two don't apply as we eat them after grinding and processing so they're al hamichya). If you eat cookies and apples the bracha achrona is al hamichya and borei nefashos. If you had cookies and grapes it's al ha'aretz ve'al hamichya ve'al hapeiros.

Very good point. I assumed she knew that but it’s always good to make sure. Another point, I was taught that if you eat fruit from the seven species & other fruit, the Al haeitz covers both (no borei nefashos is needed).

amother
RosePink

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 12:06 pm
Window wrote:
What? Never heard of this. The Bracha is usually said before the mitzvah, but there are some exceptions for GOOD reasons. After you say the Bracha for shabbos candles, it is shabbos and fire is muktza!

I go by Yemenite customs (my husband is Yemenite). I say the bracha and then light Shabbat candles. Can't remember the reasoning. But this is a legitimate halakhic approach.

amother
Hibiscus

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 12:27 pm
amother RosePink wrote:
I go by Yemenite customs (my husband is Yemenite). I say the bracha and then light Shabbat candles. Can't remember the reasoning. But this is a legitimate halakhic approach.

According to Rav Ovadia as well, the bracha should be said before lighting Shabbat candles (Yabia Omer, vol. X, §21), based on the Rambam.
We also say the bracha for mikvah before entering the water.

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 1:19 pm
wow im so impressed with this post.. OP you get big zchusim for this. I didnt manage to read all the posts but I have a kriah question I was too embarassed to ask.
Sometimes theres a shin in a word with two dots on either side. top left and top right. What is it then a shin or a sin? It comes up a few times in tehillim. I end up pronouncing both Can't Believe It

amother
Dahlia

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 1:28 pm
amother DarkKhaki wrote:
wow im so impressed with this post.. OP you get big zchusim for this. I didnt manage to read all the posts but I have a kriah question I was too embarassed to ask.
Sometimes theres a shin in a word with two dots on either side. top left and top right. What is it then a shin or a sin? It comes up a few times in tehillim. I end up pronouncing both Can't Believe It

I think it's a shin with the vav after it (sound O) ? Like sometimes there's just a dot on the top left after a letter instead of a vav with a dot there.
Page 17 of 20   Previous  1  2  3 16  17 18  19  20  Next Recent Topics