Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
How long to renew UK British passport these days?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 12:39 pm
Anyone renewed recently? How long from application till new one arrived? Want to book trip hoping new one arrives in time

amother
Leaf

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 1:03 pm
On the news its saying up to 10 weeks but I havent done it recently to see if it really is..

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 1:11 pm
amother [ Leaf ] wrote:
On the news its saying up to 10 weeks but I havent done it recently to see if it really is..

Lol I see that too
I got for one kid a year ago it took 3 weeks but wondering if anyone done it more recently...

Elfrida

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 1:52 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Lol I see that too
I got for one kid a year ago it took 3 weeks but wondering if anyone done it more recently...

A year ago there were still a lot of covid related travel restrictions, and many people were not taking risks and not travelling. Now everyone is discovering that their passport expired during lockdown, so they are all applying at once.

amother
Daylily

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 2:08 pm
Do you live in (or near) the UK? If so I would suggest using the premium or fasttrack service. Premium you go and pick it up.

I don't live in the UK, but I was able to use the premium service no problem. (they say you have to live in the UK, but at no point was this an issue - I just used my parents UK postcode)

It is just really hard to get an appointment but once I did it was super easy, just had to travel to pick it up. I kept checking every day for appointments and finally after a couple of months got one.

It seems really erratic the other way at the moment, it can take 2 weeks, it can take 10, or they can just lose your application altogether. Some families send in a few passports to renew, some come back quickly, others take forever.

ellacoe

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 6:55 pm
I applied in the beginning of April and it was ready at the beginning of June. But they did need me to send them more documents. So that may have slowed down the process.

amother
Tan

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 10:54 pm
If you do it via the post office service you can get it within a couple of weeks, as long as you provide all relevant documents.

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Aug 10 2022, 1:29 am
Did it recently. Took a week! Good luck!

amother
Leaf

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 2:12 pm
Bumping this up, to see how long it is nowadays..

Just applied for few new ones and one renewal. Anyone have any idea whats waiting time these days..

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 2:15 pm
I know several people who renewed passports before the holidays. For some it took 3 weeks but for many it took 10. It's a gamble.

amother
NeonYellow

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 2:17 pm
I applied 5 weeks ago and haven't got it yet.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 2:21 pm
amother OP wrote:
Anyone renewed recently? How long from application till new one arrived? Want to book trip hoping new one arrives in time

To update everyone we did it via regular not fast track it came in 2 weeks ! Maybe it's slower earlier but now that holidays are over but I agree it really does sound like a gamble , a relative of mine London applied for renewal several months ago and it arrived the same time as the 2 week one! Different cities though maybe that makes a difference

amother
Leaf

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 3:38 pm
Thanks!

Does everyone send their documents via recorded delivery?
Im sending originals.

amother
Bone

Post Tue, Sep 13 2022, 3:59 pm
We just renewed 2 children's passports, did it all online and it took less than 2 weeks for the new ones to arrive.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics