Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Purim in Israel - yay or nay?

Mayflower

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 4:46 am
I know I'm early, but I like to plan ahead.

We'd like to make a family trip to Israel somewhere next year. We're trying to figure out when to go but for various reasons, having a hard time deciding (winter too cold/rainy, summer too hot for my kids, Sukkos/Pesach too expensive) and we're thinking of Purim.

Do you think it's nice to visit for Purim even if you don't have any family there (so we'd just make the seudes in our apartment)? My younger kids will probably be fine, but I'm wondering specifically about my 2 (pre)teens who would miss out on going around bringing MM to all of their friends and seeing their classmates by the morot/rebbes. Do you think they'll still have fun just soaking in the Purim atmosphere on the street and taking in the action or it's only nice when you actually know people?

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 5:32 am
Mayflower wrote:

We'd like to make a family trip to Israel somewhere next year. We're trying to figure out when to go but for various reasons, having a hard time deciding (winter too cold/rainy, summer too hot for my kids, Sukkos/Pesach too expensive) and we're thinking of Purim.

Do you think it's nice to visit for Purim even if you don't have any family there (so we'd just make the seudes in our apartment)? My younger kids will probably be fine, but I'm wondering specifically about my 2 (pre)teens who would miss out on going around bringing MM to all of their friends and seeing their classmates by the morot/rebbes. Do you think they'll still have fun just soaking in the Purim atmosphere on the street and taking in the action or it's only nice when you actually know people?

Where in israel?
IMHO purim in Israel is only celebrated "the real way" in chareidi areas (and in guess in areas of dati-leumi communities too)
The rest of non-religious places it's seen as a "holiday mainly for the kids and not for adults")
All shops are open and all restaurants too and they are packed.
Many people only take off from work since schools are off. That's the only reason. Purim is a working day unless you take off or work for a religious company.
Don't expect megilah reading and mishteh or purim atmosphere in non-religious areas.
IMHO visiting israel AFTER pesach is perfect. It's still spring time.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 5:39 am
Purim can be cold and rainy here. There is no way to know in advance.

amother
Almond

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 5:45 am
I think lag baomer is a great time

amother
Oleander

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 5:46 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
Where in israel?
IMHO purim in Israel is only celebrated "the real way" in chareidi areas (and in guess in areas of dati-leumi communities too)
The rest of non-religious places it's seen as a "holiday mainly for the kids and not for adults")
Many people only take off from work since schools are off. That's the only reason. Purim is a working day unless you take off or work for a religious company.
Don't expect megilah reading and mishteh or purim atmosphere in non-religious areas.

And in charedi areas there is a lot of drinking, drunks, and puking. It's not pretty.

I personally prefer chardal/ dati leumi areas on Purim. Now that we are living in a charedi area I took great care not to step outside our knisa this Purim. We gave MM to our neighbors, heard megilla at home, ate our seuda at home.

Purim is a dangerous holiday because of all the drunks on the roads, the drunks on the buses, etc.

My "best" (meaning least awful) memory of Purim in a charedi area (and not just me rushing to a store and back) is of being sprayed with shaving cream by a Bnei Brak chutzpanyak.

OP please come for a different holiday. Purim is Purim everywhere.

The others are right, it is a standard work day here for most people, and you'll only really feel the day in certain areas. But some of those areas are not places you want to be on Purim at all.

I would suggest looking at Chanuka or even just any "random" time during the winter that works for you. If you come early Adar you will feel the Purim spirit but you won't have to deal with the Purim drunks.

amother
Oleander

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 5:48 am
amother Almond wrote:
I think lag baomer is a great time

It's hot and there are often bonfire warnings, though.

I honestly would say Pesach, but that's an expensive season to come. My other suggestion would be Chanuka.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 5:50 am
Mayflower wrote:

I think purim is so lovely in the religious areas, but I dont think its worth it to come davka for purim and if you will just have a seuda all by yourselves, Im not sure its really worth it.
Also purim, for so many years, has been cold and rainy, so there is that to think of as well.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 5:53 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
Where in israel?
Of course in dati leumi communities too. Why "I guess"? Ive been to both areas on purim and I love dati leumi areas better (when I was dating my husband we were together in a charedi community and there was unfortunately a LOT of drinking and things that go along with that that I have actually never seen in my community.
But Id say that all religious communities in Israel celebrate Purim with gusto and its a lovely chag here in Israel.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 6:11 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Of course in dati leumi communities too. Why "I guess"? Ive been to both areas on purim and I love dati leumi areas better (when I was dating my husband we were together in a charedi community and there was unfortunately a LOT of drinking and things that go along with that that I have actually never seen in my community.
But Id say that all religious communities in Israel celebrate Purim with gusto and its a lovely chag here in Israel.

I guess because I haven't been in any dati-leumi areas for Purim.
And yes, I can imagine dati-leumi areas are having a more cultured Purim than the chareidi ones. I used to love Purim. Not anymore. Bnei brak is just *impossible* to drive in during Purim (we deliver mishlochei manot two days before Purim and only give to neighbours on the day itself)
I stay at home with closed windows except for the seudah.
It's just a madhouse/gan chayot

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 6:16 am
amother Oleander wrote:
And in charedi areas there is a lot of drinking, drunks, and puking. It's not pretty.

I personally prefer chardal/ dati leumi areas on Purim. Now that we are living in a charedi area I took great care not to step outside our knisa this Purim. We gave MM to our neighbors, heard megilla at home, ate our seuda at home.

Purim is a dangerous holiday because of all the drunks on the roads, the drunks on the buses, etc.

My "best" (meaning least awful) memory of Purim in a charedi area (and not just me rushing to a store and back) is of being sprayed with shaving cream by a Bnei Brak chutzpanyak.

OP please come for a different holiday. Purim is Purim everywhere.

The others are right, it is a standard work day here for most people, and you'll only really feel the day in certain areas. But some of those areas are not places you want to be on Purim at all.

I would suggest looking at Chanuka or even just any "random" time during the winter that works for you. If you come early Adar you will feel the Purim spirit but you won't have to deal with the Purim drunks.

Purim is not purim everywhere.
In very secular areas like tel aviv you see tons of people with their kids doing shopping and eating in restaurants and fast food places. That's about it. A holiday "for the kids". It's just sad.

amother
Oleander

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 6:20 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
Purim is not purim everywhere.
In very secular areas like tel aviv you see tons of people with their kids doing shopping and eating in restaurants and fast food places. That's about it. A holiday "for the kids". It's just sad.

I meant Israel or OP's home in the Diaspora, Purim is Purim [in] every [frum] community. I.e. it is not the special holiday in Israel that I understood she'd like to have. Smile

Mayflower

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 6:39 am
Thank you all for your input, I really appreciate it.

I'm glad I asked because from the feedback so far, I don't think it sounds all that attractive to come for Purim after all....

To answer some of your questions: we'd be in Chareidi areas (we're 'heimish', whatever that means) - probably Bnei Brak on Purim and Yerushalayim on shushan Purim. But we really dislike drunks and puking in public just sounds awful.

We wouldn't come only for Purim, we'd probably go for a week (Thursday-Thursday) so we'd do some sightseeing on the other days.

I like the idea of Lag B'omer except that we are tied to school holidays and our kids don't really have off then. But maybe we could make it work.

We've been for Chanuka twice and it was lovely, but I wouldn't mind a bit more sunshine for our next trip.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 6:46 am
Mayflower wrote:

I'm glad I asked because from the feedback so far, I don't think it sounds all that attractive to come for Purim after all....

To answer some of your questions: we'd be in Chareidi areas (we're 'heimish', whatever that means) - probably Bnei Brak on Purim and Yerushalayim on shushan Purim. But we really dislike drunks and puking in public just sounds awful.

We wouldn't come only for Purim, we'd probably go for a week (Thursday-Thursday) so we'd do some sightseeing on the other days.

I like the idea of Lag B'omer except that we are tied to school holidays and our kids don't really have off then. But maybe we could make it work.

We've been for Chanuka twice and it was lovely, but I wouldn't mind a bit more sunshine for our next trip.
In terms of sunshine, its still the rainy season, so not sure it will be sunny on purim.
Also, just so you know, it can be very traffic FULL in charedi areas on purim, so getting in and out of the areas you mentioned can take HOURS. Just some things to think about.

Mayflower

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 6:50 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
In terms of sunshine, its still the rainy season, so not sure it will be sunny on purim.
Also, just so you know, it can be very traffic FULL in charedi areas on purim, so getting in and out of the areas you mentioned can take HOURS. Just some things to think about.

Right, I guess I didn't really think things through all that well Smile

amother
Oleander

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 6:52 am
Mayflower wrote:

If you're looking for sunshine, Purim's not the holiday for you. Smile It's usually overcast, often cold, sometimes rainy.

What about Shavuot?

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 7:31 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:

I chime in. We are talking about hours.
That's the reason why we absolutely refuse to drive around in the city giving out mishlochei manot.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 7:32 am
amother Oleander wrote:
If you're looking for sunshine, Purim's not the holiday for you. Smile It's usually overcast, often cold, sometimes rainy.

What about Shavuot?

I agree. Early summer.

amother
Hosta

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 7:48 am
Mayflower wrote:

If you're only coming for a week you will not have much time to sightsee if you also have Purim in the middle.

I went to eretz Yisrael for the first time in 25 years at the end of January/Feb this past years.. I went for 9 days and it was a whirlwind but the time of year ended up being great.

Yerushalayim, where I was based was rainy, but not every day or all day and I came prepared with raincoats and rainboots.
Outside yerudhslaym - the north, ein gedi, yam hamelech were beautiful. We did time our trip north for a less rainy two days and did kvorim on the rainier day and a hike on the nicer day. Even the rainy days werr not all day and more like drizzoly. The upside was it was not hot and a beautiful, comfortable temperature most days.

amother
Hosta

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 7:57 am
I want to add that I had many sunny days or days that had a lot of sun. I did not feel it was wet an dreary - buy maybe bc I was so excited to be there?

I chose end of Jan/ early Feb because of winter break.

It sounds like you go to ey regularly and want to see something special. I also recommend lag beomer as from my relative’s there there is nothing like it outside ey....but I hear your school issue.

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Jan 03 2023, 1:53 pm
I think it can be fun if you have family friends or people to do the seuda with

otherwhise it seems depressing to me

As an Israeli who worked in the chutznik travel industry;
I think that between Pesach to Shavous is the best time to visit Israel

Its warm enough to enjoy the summery attractions, not to hot, not to crowded, not to expensive (except lag baomer)

I grew up in a secular city. Purim in secular areas tend to be on the day before taanis esther with the Tahluchot and a lot of skimply dressed adults at drunken parties

Some of the charedi areas unfortunately have people behaving just as bad - though at least they are dressed Can't Believe It .

I have also seen areas with lots of costumes and bachurim celebrating but behaving the way bnei torah who are drunk should. Its really all about the area - so take that into account if you do go.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics