Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Best credit card for travel points

justforfun87

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 11:14 am
I have asked on Dansdeals but have gotten mixed responses. I am planning to go to Israel in 2 years with my family. I spend a lot every month (bills, eh?) so I figured I should benefit by getting points and have an actual goal in mind. My only credit card has been doing cash back (American Express) but I heard travel points give you more bang for your buck. What specific card should I open to gain the most points for traveling to Israel from the East Coast?

doctorima

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 11:30 am
The big points come from sign-up bonuses, so getting several of those over 2 years (split between you and DH) can go a long way. If you know you want to fly a certain airline (e.g. Delta, United, AA), you could get their cc and accumulate their points.

But since 2 years is a long time and their points can be devalued and also routes can change, you're likely best off accumulating flex points that can be transferred to multiple partners. Chase UR and AMEX MR are my two favorites, and Citi and Capital One are other options.

justforfun87

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 11:33 am
doctorima wrote:
The big points come from sign-up bonuses, so getting several of those over 2 years (split between you and DH) can go a long way. If you know you want to fly a certain airline (e.g. Delta, United, AA), you could get their cc and accumulate their points.

But since 2 years is a long time and their points can be devalued and also routes can change, you're likely best off accumulating flex points that can be transferred to multiple partners. Chase UR and AMEX MR are my two favorites, and Citi and Capital One are other options.

So don't put my husband under my name just have us both sign up seperate for cards? Points can be combined? I just want to be fiscally responsible and make sure I am paying everything off.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics