Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Always been embarrassed to ask but…
  Previous  1  2  3 18  19  20  Next

amother
Obsidian

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 1:28 pm
bobeli wrote:
I think it has to do with mikva, there should not be a knot or anything for chatziza. But I m not chassidish and I m not sure.

I can see that being a valid reason. Thanks!

pause

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 1:53 pm
amother Obsidian wrote:
Genuinely curious, not bashing at all:
Why do chassidishe women shave their heads once they're married? I thought the source for covering your head is from the story of sotah in the Torah, whereby you uncover the woman's hair so that she should feel embarrassed. Wouldn't shaving your head defeat the whole point?

Feel free to conduct a search on Imamother to find the 1001 threads on chassidish shaving. Can we leave this thread devoid of chassidish curiosity and leave it on track of its original intent?

amother
Daffodil

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 2:15 pm
bobeli wrote:
I think it has to do with mikva, there should not be a knot or anything for chatziza. But I m not chassidish and I m not sure.

Problem with this answer is that they shave after the wedding, so when she goes to the mikva as a kalla she has hair. Why arent we worried about hair then?

amother
Sapphire

Post Fri, Nov 04 2022, 1:21 am
I just read something about not sticking something to yourself or an article of clothing(eg a period pad) on shabbos… so when the period comes what do people do? 🙈

amother
Maroon

Post Fri, Nov 04 2022, 1:58 am
amother Sapphire wrote:
I just read something about not sticking something to yourself or an article of clothing(eg a period pad) on shabbos… so when the period comes what do people do? 🙈

AFAIK many sources say it's fine. Although sometimes I'd just not stick it on.

Nowadays I use cloth pads that have snaps on the wings. Much more comfortable!

amother
Brass

Post Fri, Nov 04 2022, 2:05 am
amother Maroon wrote:
AFAIK many sources say it's fine. Although sometimes I'd just not stick it on.

Nowadays I use cloth pads that have snaps on the wings. Much more comfortable!

Do those have good capacity too? Like I could wear one a few days postpartum, after the worst is over?

amother
Springgreen

Post Fri, Nov 04 2022, 2:28 am
I think the shaving is a chumra (that became minhag) when our grandparents started doing it. I believe it was a stringency so absolutely no hair would show. Maybe I'm wrong. I don't think before the war our great great grandmas shaved....

Curious where you buy these pads with snaps..

Im embarrassed to ask, but no clue how to serve cholent for a child from a crockpot, on Shabbos) while having to continue cooking it...

amother
Maroon

Post Fri, Nov 04 2022, 3:06 am
amother Brass wrote:
Do those have good capacity too? Like I could wear one a few days postpartum, after the worst is over?

For sure! Like regular pads, there are cloth ones with different levels of absorbency.

I just bought this trial pack for one of my DDs: https://mamakoala.com/collecti.....-pack

amother
NeonYellow

Post Fri, Nov 04 2022, 3:42 am
amother Springgreen wrote:
I think the shaving is a chumra (that became minhag) when our grandparents started doing it. I believe it was a stringency so absolutely no hair would show. Maybe I'm wrong. I don't think before the war our great great grandmas shaved....

Curious where you buy these pads with snaps..

Im embarrassed to ask, but no clue how to serve cholent for a child from a crockpot, on Shabbos) while having to continue cooking it...

There's a lot of reasons why shaving was a thing. The nonjews would rape women the day before their wedding, so they would shave to make them less beautiful.

In some areas and times a mikvah was hard to get to and hair was often knotty and hard to clean so it was easier to shave.

amother
Yellow

Post Fri, Nov 04 2022, 11:00 am
amother NeonYellow wrote:
There's a lot of reasons why shaving was a thing. The nonjews would rape women the day before their wedding, so they would shave to make them less beautiful.

In some areas and times a mikvah was hard to get to and hair was often knotty and hard to clean so it was easier to shave.

There is a source for this minhag in the Zohar.
https://www.torahmusings.com/2.....eads/

I found this interesting as well:
https://judaism.stackexchange......riage

amother
DarkOrange

Post Fri, Nov 04 2022, 11:03 am
How do people burn their mafreshed challah? I remember hearing in seminary that cooking it in the oven would make it treif and it’s better to save it to burn with chametz but I don’t have so much extra freezer space to keep doing that

amother
Springgreen

Post Fri, Nov 04 2022, 11:40 am
amother DarkOrange wrote:
How do people burn their mafreshed challah? I remember hearing in seminary that cooking it in the oven would make it treif and it’s better to save it to burn with chametz but I don’t have so much extra freezer space to keep doing that

I read (I think Mishpacha) that its best to burn it on oven floor and then discard...dont quote me though on it...

amother
Feverfew

Post Fri, Nov 04 2022, 11:45 am
amother DarkOrange wrote:

We wrap in foil, like you would be able to wrap your food and use a (clean) treif oven...

Best to flatten before wrapping and burning... Much more efficient.

Personally, I put it in my countertop oven with a timer overnight (so smell isn't really an issue and I don't need the oven then), and it goes off on its own, and is cooled by morning to discard.

amother
Maroon

Post Fri, Nov 04 2022, 12:38 pm
amother Springgreen wrote:

From my understanding, it's standard chazara. You take out the stoneware crock, have in mind that you will be returning it.

Keep holding the pot. I rest it partially on the counter so I am supporting it with my other hand (not putting it down is one of the conditions of chazara, some say you can just keep a hand on it though).

Remove the lid, serve the cholent, replace the lid, put crock back into base.

amother
Jean

Post Fri, Nov 04 2022, 1:09 pm
amother Maroon wrote:
From my understanding, it's standard chazara. You take out the stoneware crock, have in mind that you will be returning it.

Keep holding the pot. I rest it partially on the counter so I am supporting it with my other hand (not putting it down is one of the conditions of chazara, some say you can just keep a hand on it though).

And I heard that the stoneware ones where it gets inserted into the heating part is more of a shailah if you can put it back in. You can always ask as if you got a new type of crockpot and see what your rov holds.
The types that just lay on a hot plate type device are a lot simpler.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Fri, Nov 04 2022, 1:09 pm
amother Maroon wrote:

It’s easier with 2 people.
One holding the pot,
And the other holding the lid, and the serving spoon.

amother
Maroon

Post Fri, Nov 04 2022, 1:41 pm
amother Jean wrote:
And I heard that the stoneware ones where it gets inserted into the heating part is more of a shailah if you can put it back in. You can always ask as if you got a new type of crockpot and see what your rov holds.
The types that just lay on a hot plate type device are a lot simpler.

I never heard that it's a bigger issue for chazara specifically. It's a bigger issue altogether, because some consider it to be hatmana bedavar shemotzi hevel which is asur to do even before Shabbos.

Because the top is not wrapped, opinions (such as the one I rely on) say it's not a problem of hatmana.

Another issue is if it needs a blech (can't do chazara without a blech); some put a piece of foil inside / sticking out to resolve this issue. I also remove or cover the control knob if there is one.

amother
Mocha

Post Tue, Dec 27 2022, 1:29 pm
Why do some women (especially chassidish and those who wear seams) wear their stockings inside out?

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Dec 27 2022, 1:31 pm
amother Mocha wrote:
Why do some women (especially chassidish and those who wear seams) wear their stockings inside out?

I don't think it's inside out.
That's how the seam was sewn.

amother
Mocha

Post Tue, Dec 27 2022, 1:40 pm
The part by their toes is inside out.
Page 19 of 20   Previous  1  2  3 18  19  20  Next Recent Topics