Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Sell me on your community
Previous  1  2

aussie2

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 12:52 pm
Feel like we are missing a lot of info on what you actually need in a community..
Is having a wide variety of frum stores important to you.. What type of schools would you eventually need? What type of shul? etc..

Anyhow, I live in one of the bigger 'out of town' communities.. Coming form NY I def think there is an overall friendly vibe here where ppl say hi etc.. (Although apparently not as friendly as it use to be when it was a smaller community 20plus years ago)
Houses are relatively affordable.. (Meaning things went up with inflation over the last few years but not as bad as many other communitiies..)
There are rentals, condos, starter homes as well as larger homes..Families going from shana rishona to older.. all ages are here depending on the neighborhood u would choose.
Shuls- there is quite a range- most ppl are able to find their place-
There are a few boys &girls schools- but each school is more of a mix then what you would find in a lakewood school.. (don't have the same pressure abt getting in like you have in lakewood)

We have a bunch or takeout/eateries.. but again n/t close to lakewood.. and a lot of ppl here go to lakewood for clothing shopping etc.. as the selection is much better there..

There are quite a few job opening.. I don't know specifically in your fields..
If you'd like to know where this mysterious place is to find out more lmk Smile

GLUE

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 1:00 pm
amother Celeste wrote:
Staten Island, NY! Short drive to Brooklyn and pretty well located to drive to other Jewish communities in the tristate as well. Houses are available in quite a big price range depending on your budget. Personally, I chose a tiny little house on a well-sized lot with the potential to expand in the future.

I used to live in Staten Island and from what I remember tiny houses were on tiny lots
The starting price for a 3 bedroom attached house was $500,000 nice to know the price went down.

amother
Opal

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 1:02 pm
amother Opal wrote:
I live in a great community in Israel. Lots of young families, everyone is very friendly. Low prices. A lot of rentals. (I don't really know what a starter home is.)
Quality of life is very high.
Are you considering Aliyah?

I live in Dimona. Wasn't planning on making anyone guess, just wasn't sure if OP was looking in Israel!
There are only a few Anglos, so it isn't super attractive to most new Olim.
We're a young couple and consider it affordable- we're paying 2000 shekel ($585) for a roomy 3 bedroom apartment. I just looked recently at houses, you can get a 5 room (4 bedroom) for 1.25 shekel which is $365k, at the current exchange rate.

amother
Celeste

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 1:33 pm
GLUE wrote:
I used to live in Staten Island and from what I remember tiny houses were on tiny lots
The starting price for a 3 bedroom attached house was $500,000 nice to know the price went down.

Depends on which neighborhood you're looking in. In my neighborhood, there are actually quite a few tiny houses on larger lots. All are fully detached. The going rate is over 500k but the property taxes are much lower than in NJ so you end up with a decent monthly payment.

amother
Cognac

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 1:56 pm
amother OP wrote:
Currently in a situation where both me and my husband are looking for new jobs and the lease is up on our apartment. We’re in Lakewood and our oldest is only 2 so we figured that it might be worth thinking about moving elsewhere while it’s still that simple.

Tell me about where you live! (I’m bt so even if you live in bore park or Monsey, it’s all new info to me) What’s your community like? What’s the cost of living? Do people say hi to their new neighbors? Are there younger families? Can you find rentals? Or starter homes? Sell me on where you live! Non-America options also!

Not sure if it’s relevant or not but my husband works in construction and I work in administration so they’re both easy enough jobs to find in new places.

OP, pretty much in your exact situation right now! Dh and I chose to move to Chicago.

amother
Sage

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 2:04 pm
aussie2 wrote:
Feel like we are missing a lot of info on what you actually need in a community..
Is having a wide variety of frum stores important to you.. What type of schools would you eventually need? What type of shul? etc..

Anyhow, I live in one of the bigger 'out of town' communities.. Coming form NY I def think there is an overall friendly vibe here where ppl say hi etc.. (Although apparently not as friendly as it use to be when it was a smaller community 20plus years ago)
Houses are relatively affordable.. (Meaning things went up with inflation over the last few years but not as bad as many other communitiies..)
There are rentals, condos, starter homes as well as larger homes..Families going from shana rishona to older.. all ages are here depending on the neighborhood u would choose.
Shuls- there is quite a range- most ppl are able to find their place-
There are a few boys &girls schools- but each school is more of a mix then what you would find in a lakewood school.. (don't have the same pressure abt getting in like you have in lakewood)

We have a bunch or takeout/eateries.. but again n/t close to lakewood.. and a lot of ppl here go to lakewood for clothing shopping etc.. as the selection is much better there..

There are quite a few job opening.. I don't know specifically in your fields..
If you'd like to know where this mysterious place is to find out more lmk Smile

Where is this?

aussie2

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 2:59 pm
not sure how to quote ppl-
sage- It's Baltimore, MD
Are you looking to move or just curious?

amother
Apple

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 3:10 pm
I've lived in Chicago for 10 years and we've been very happy here. I think a large OOT community really has the best of both worlds. And one thing that was important to us was that we preferred a city that was growing and not shrinking. I have friends who moved to very nice, very small OOT towns but some of them have gotten tiny or shul/stores kind of fall apart. Chicago is very established and has lots of stores, shuls, schools. A friendly feeling around the neighborhoods and definitely a huge boom in the last couple years.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 3:31 pm
amother Opal wrote:
I live in Dimona. Wasn't planning on making anyone guess, just wasn't sure if OP was looking in Israel!
We're a young couple and consider it affordable- we're paying 2000 shekel ($585) for a roomy 3 bedroom apartment. I just looked recently at houses, you can get a 5 room (4 bedroom) for 1.25 shekel which is $365k, at the current exchange rate.
Wow, dimona. Thats out there. Kol Hakavod to you, really. I dont think I would ever be able to live there. Smile
But that is definitely lower prices Smile

amother
Zinnia

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 3:36 pm
amother Opal wrote:

I have distant cousins who live in Dimona and are really happy there. They're very Israeli though. I couldn't do it myself.

amother
Opal

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 6:53 pm
It's actually a really nice small city that's growing, with many young couples moving in and neighborhoods expanding. There's a mall, with plans for another, and a lot of supermarkets. Definitely still enjoy our conveniences!
I'm not sure what very Israeli means in this case, haha, but there are few Anglos. I don't mind it, my Hebrew has improved significantly Wink
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating