Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Teacher refused to allow daughter to drink
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

amother
Rose

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 8:28 am
can I ask how old the teacher is?
my daughter had a crazy story the other day the teacher didn't let her go to the bathroom, she asked 4 or 5 times and was obviously wiggling in her seat . she had an accident and sat it in all day. ( she's 7, hasn't had an accident in about 4 years) I feel like pulling my daughter out of the school. these young teachers honestly don't belong teaching. I'm still not ok with the whole thing.

amother
Jean

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 8:47 am
Totally not surprised.
Teachers even act in a patronizing manner on the street, at PTA while standing as an ordinary parent
and in shul.
Sometimes I am scared of them and I am relieved that my children are almost out of the system.
Sorry, if I am ugly.

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 8:51 am
amother Rose wrote:
my daughter had a crazy story the other day the teacher didn't let her go to the bathroom, she asked 4 or 5 times and was obviously wiggling in her seat . she had an accident and sat it in all day. ( she's 7, hasn't had an accident in about 4 years) I feel like pulling my daughter out of the school. these young teachers honestly don't belong teaching. I'm still not ok with the whole thing.

That's terrible!! Please call the principal so that he/she can better educate the teacher. My daughter once felt like she had to throw up while in class and the teacher would not let her leave, despite multiple requests. She was a young and inexperienced teacher. My daughter ended up getting up and leaving without permission and she went to the bathroom and vomited there. She then went to the office and I picked her up from school, after which the principal called me to apologize about the teacher and reassure me she will make sure this won't happen again.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 9:00 am
amother Rose wrote:

No idea how old but she sounded really young on the phone, I think she's new. I would be livid if I were you! For that I would march into school and raise hell. That crosses a serious line for me.

amother
Rose

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 9:01 am
amother Ruby wrote:
That's terrible!! Please call the principal so that he/she can better educate the teacher. My daughter once felt like she had to throw up while in class and the teacher would not let her leave, despite multiple requests. She was a young and inexperienced teacher. My daughter ended up getting up and leaving without permission and she went to the bathroom and vomited there. She then went to the office and I picked her up from school, after which the principal called me to apologize about the teacher and reassure me she will make sure this won't happen again.

I did talk to the principal as well as the teacher who denied remembering that my daughter asked to go ( it was that night ! and my daughter told me clearly how many times she asked ) she practically lied to me.
honestly I wish I didn't have to put my daughter back in this woman's class. she clearly shouldn't be a teacher. not sure what my option is though

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 9:09 am
amother Rose wrote:
I did talk to the principal as well as the teacher who denied remembering that my daughter asked to go ( it was that night ! and my daughter told me clearly how many times she asked ) she practically lied to me.
honestly I wish I didn't have to put my daughter back in this woman's class. she clearly shouldn't be a teacher. not sure what my option is though

Wow she should have apologized and said she didn't realize. What does the principal say about this? How does your daughter feel facing her classmates now? Are there other parallel classes, if yes I would demand to switch.

Sewsew_mom

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 9:21 am
amother Rose wrote:

Makes me wanna puke.
I'm so sorry your daughter went through this humiliation. This can traumatize her for life in ways the teacher could never imagine.

I had a story last year that the teacher took away my daughters snack because she saw her chewing gum in class and punished her with no snack that recess. She was in 3rd grade. I was livid. My daughter literally lives on her snack and ate no other food.
I definitely opened my mouth. But over time I saw some rediculous rediculous ways the teacher went about stuff and I wanted to bop her over the head.
I just kept drilling into my daughter if something seems off walk to the office and call me. I'll take care from there.
Please find a job elsewhere teachers if you have no understanding how to be mechanech children.

watergirl

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 9:24 am
Sewsew_mom wrote:
Makes me wanna puke.
I'm so sorry your daughter went through this humiliation. This can traumatize her for life in ways the teacher could never imagine.

I had a story last year that the teacher took away my daughters snack because she saw her chewing gum in class and punished her with no snack that recess. She was in 3rd grade. I was livid. My daughter literally lives on her snack and ate no other food.
I definitely opened my mouth. But over time I saw some rediculous rediculous ways the teacher went about stuff and I wanted to bop her over the head.
I just kept drilling into my daughter if something seems off walk to the office and call me. I'll take care from there.
Please find a job elsewhere teachers if you have no understanding how to be mechanech children.

This is illegal. Withholding snack or recess as a consequence is illegal. Not that a private school cares.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 9:25 am
I’m curious….these teachers who don’t allow kids to drink during class- do they also not drink during class? Do they have enough time between classes to go to the bathroom and get a drink?

watergirl

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 9:38 am
Ema of 4 wrote:
I’m curious….these teachers who don’t allow kids to drink during class- do they also not drink during class? Do they have enough time between classes to go to the bathroom and get a drink?

My guess is the teachers who do not allow drinking themselves do not feel the need to drink as often, so they do not understand the need others have. This is where empathy comes in - the ability to feel for someone even if you yourself do not feel that thing. If a teacher is not empathetic to others, she should not be teaching. This is a skill most do not have innately and they need to learn it as children from their parents and teachers.

amother
Cadetblue

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 9:51 am
I’m over 40 years old and will never forget that my 3rd grade teacher wouldn’t allow me to go to the bathroom. At that time I was unaware that I was sick with Shigella. I had fever, and severe stomach cramps. She said I needed to wait until recess time. I put my head down on my desk and cried. Luckily it was a half day of school so I went home early.
That teacher was a lovely teacher who liked very much. But I never understood how she could not be flexible and allow me to go to the bathroom. My mother never called the teacher to discuss it. She always stuck up for the teacher. But because I’ve experienced this, I would make sure to speak up on behalf of my child and would call the teacher.
Bathroom and drinks are often a necessity and not just games and the teachers need to understand that.

amother
Cherry

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 9:53 am
Ema of 4 wrote:

Actually, this is what made me decide that in my classroom drinking will be totally fine. I remember how our teachers would send a student to get her a cup of water, and we would all watch as she made a brachah, we all answered amein, and take a sip of water. While we didn’t dare drink during class!

behappy2

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 10:02 am
Op, how was the conversation with the teacher?

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 10:13 am
I'd call the principal, and if all else fails get a doctors note that dd needs to drink whenever she feels thirsty. Same for the bathroom. Both can cause real health issues.

Highstrung

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 10:14 am
watergirl wrote:
This is illegal. Withholding snack or recess as a consequence is illegal. Not that a private school cares.

This is a common tactic used by many teachers, unfortunately.

amother
DarkGreen

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 10:24 am
Op, make a fuss. That’s awful. Speak to the principal to make sure it never happens again.

Yes I’m screaming lol

TEACHERS AND REBEIM WHO WITHHOLD ACCESS TO BATHROOMS AND DRINKS SHOULD FIND A NEW PROFESSION ASAP.

I heard there are prison warden positions that are available….. Hiding

amother
DarkGray

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 10:25 am
If your daughter has a real need, speak to the teacher. She'll give permission.
The rule isn't crazy. The teacher just needs to be open to exceptions.
Start throwing those tomatoes...

amother
DarkGreen

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 10:26 am
amother DarkGray wrote:

The rule is crazy. And cold hearted.
Yes, I’m a teacher and I feel that way.

watergirl

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 10:39 am
amother DarkGray wrote:

A rule that has no purpose other than throwing around control is crazy and mean.

ETA - disagreeing with someone is not throwing tomatos.

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 10:41 am
amother DarkGray wrote:

You often don’t know that you need an exception… until you need that exception. So every girl needs to have an accident in class in order to get bathroom privileges?

I had a stomach issue last night, with no warning. I had only a few minutes to make it to the bathroom. Thankfully I was in my home, not in a classroom.
Page 2 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics