Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Teacher refused to allow daughter to drink
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

amother
DarkGreen

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 10:00 am
amother OP wrote:
Gosh reading some aggravating posts here is just making me angrier. I didn't speak to the teacher yet, I had just spoken to her about allowing my kid to use the bathroom as soon as I found out about that rule. Now I need to argue another rule. Why is the burden on me, all it does is put a stigma on me and my child. These are basic rights and needs, it's not ok. All of you teachers who do this, shame on you.

I completely agree with you OP. Your a good mother advocating for your kid.

Sewsew_mom

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 10:34 am
amother DarkGray wrote:
Responsibility, time management, problem solving...
The girls know that now there is no drinking. So while they're doing their work they remember that if they want to drink, now's the time.
The same thing happens by recess.

Do you normally take upon yourself to teach people something that isn't your job. Why would. You think this is your job as a teacher. This isn't your business to teach these things to children..
Sorry.. Your a thousand percent wrong and maybe you should relook at your profession

amother
Thistle

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 10:39 am
I’m not a classroom teacher - I’m an interventionist (elementary age). I pull kids for short periods of time so ideally I would not like them to leave the room to go to the bathroom. When a student asks to go, I always ask if they can wait x many more minutes, or if they think it’s an emergency. If it’s an emergency, they can go. Sometimes they decide they can hold it, sometimes they go. But I never fight them on it.

Water bottles I allow, as long as they’re not too distracted. If a kid is flipping her cover open and closed constantly, I may remind her not to be too busy with it. I’m not a huge drinker but I do sometimes drink during sessions, and I want them to be allowed to, as well.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 11:07 am
amother DarkGray wrote:
It's self restraint. I know that once I go in to the classroom, I'm there until I dismiss my class.
Therefore, I do what I have to before I go into class.
I know I can handle the 1.5 hours of no bathroom and/or drink. I understand that my students might not hence my rules.

And what if not drinking gets you to the point of not feeling well? What would you do then?

amother
DarkGray

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 11:10 am
Why do lower elementary students have to sit in desks, and not get up and look out the window when there's noise...
Teaching isn't only about math and science.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 11:10 am
Sewsew_mom wrote:
Do you normally take upon yourself to teach people something that isn't your job. Why would. You think this is your job as a teacher. This isn't your business to teach these things to children..
Sorry.. Your a thousand percent wrong and maybe you should relook at your profession

It can be, but more in connection to school- make sure you have everything you need for class, make sure you manage your time well so you can finish assignments both in and out of class….

amother
DarkGray

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 11:12 am
Ema of 4 wrote:
And what if not drinking gets you to the point of not feeling well? What would you do then?

I drink before I go into class. I'm not getting sick by not drinking for 1.5 hours.
In all my years of doing this, the situation you mentioned never came up bh.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 11:14 am
amother DarkGray wrote:
Why do lower elementary students have to sit in desks, and not get up and look out the window when there's noise...

That a whole other conversation…..I don’t believe students should be sitting in desks for as long as they are.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 11:15 am
amother DarkGray wrote:

You are ridiculous and selfish.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 11:16 am
amother DarkGray wrote:
I drink before I go into class. I'm not getting sick by not drinking for 1.5 hours.

So you assume everyone is like you? Obviously not, if kids are getting to the point of not feeling well….
If the teacher lets the previous class out late, there might not be be time in between classes. I really don’t understand what the big deal is about having a water bottle accessible to them in the classroom, as long as they don’t use it as a distraction.

watergirl

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 11:29 am
amother DarkGray wrote:

Sitting in a desk serves a purpose. But to that extent, more and more often teachers are realizing that students can accomplish the same or better quality work using alternative seating and not old fashion desks. Modern classrooms often have different kinds of chairs, for example, a balance chair for a student with ADHD…

The only purpose that no drinking rule serves is helping the teacher feel like she is the big man in charge.

Sewsew_mom

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 11:37 am
amother DarkGray wrote:

Your an adult! These are children. Their brains aren't formed yet to think like you do. And you controlling them won't make them think like an adult - but act out of fear. That's not a healthy outlook.

nightingale1

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 11:53 am
There are 2 points here:
1. There is no point in your rule. I understand you disagree. (Though I disagree with you)
2. Your rule is causing harm. You cannot deny this. It’s true. Even though you may not see immediate effects.
Let me tell you about myself. I cannot drink large amounts of water at a time. It gives me a stomach ache. I get headaches all the time. I would do much better by taking small sips throughout my day. But I don’t. Because I never developed a habit of doing that. I was never allowed to in school, where I spent most of my days. I drank small amounts during recess, and it was not enough. Nothing drastic, just smaller headaches and tiredness here and there. I didn’t complain, I didn’t really even think about it because I never considered drinking in class an option. It didn’t occur to me to ask my mother or the teacher for an exception. I didn’t really fully realize this until I was pregnant and my habit of not drinking became really dangerous. I had to train myself to take sips throughout the day, something I really should have learned much much earlier on. It’s a GOOD habit, especially for people who can’t drink so much at a time! It’s healthy!!! Ask any doctor, I’m sure they’ll agree.

chanatron1000

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 11:53 am
Not being allowed to drink in class trains students into chronic dehydration.

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 12:00 pm
watergirl wrote:
Sitting in a desk serves a purpose. But to that extent, more and more often teachers are realizing that students can accomplish the same or better quality work using alternative seating and not old fashion desks. Modern classrooms often have different kinds of chairs, for example, a balance chair for a student with ADHD…

I wish frum schools had that. Dd has ADHD-I and spends most of class zoning out. As an adult you can sit or stand however you like, as long as you get work done. But our schools train our kids to be zombies, I guess so they can be good office cubicle workers when they grow up.

amother
DarkGray

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 12:01 pm
Sewsew_mom wrote:
Your an adult! These are children. Their brains aren't formed yet to think like you do. And you controlling them won't make them think like an adult - but act out of fear. That's not a healthy outlook.

I 1000% agree.
This is why I let them drink. I limit it to only drinking during quiet work. I think this is very reasonable.
In addition, I also let them go out one at a time.

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 12:01 pm
Keep in mind that a child’s bladder is much smaller than an adult’s, and so is everything else. Kids needs to drink more water than adults, go to the bathroom more often than adults.

Tell your daughter to go anyway. You will deal with the teacher and principal.

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 12:06 pm
amother OP wrote:
My daughter came home feeling sick. She said she needed a drink badly but the teacher said no drinking during class. So she sat in class feeling dizzy and nauseous. She said she couldn’t concentrate on the lessons and had a horrible day. Can someone explain what was gained in this situation? Besides for her not feeling well now she is anxious about having to go through it again. What type of lesson is this? This teacher also doesn’t allow the kids to use the bathroom. It’s lower elementary.

Teach your daughter to take a drink before class and after class
Bathroom visits the same.

As a teacher in the classroom, kids would constantly ask to go to the bathroom or for a drink.
We want to help kids grow, teach them material, offer fascinating sessions we work hard on.

Please imagine teacher using much of her class time, managing 35 wonderful students, sharing and appreciating knowledge, while consucting a line of who asked first, who left, and who came back.

I think teaching kids to take care of it before and after class would be helpful.

Imagine you were on an airplane, or rushing on a highway for a wedding. Sometimes we all figure out a little planning or wait, if no other options.

Yes, there is room for an exception, a child who is sick that day. But having many students needing to leave the classroom is a disruption for all students eager to learn and grow.

Hope you understand a teachers perspective. Thank you

All the best!

amother
DarkGray

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 12:08 pm
amother Lilac wrote:
Teach your daughter to take a drink before class and after class
Bathroom visits the same.

As a teacher in the classroom, kids would constantly ask to go to the bathroom or for a drink.
We want to help kids grow, teach them material, offer fascinating sessions we work hard on.

Please imagine teacher using much of her class time, managing 35 wonderful students, sharing and appreciating knowledge, while consucting a line of who asked first, who left, and who came back.

I think teaching kids to take care of it before and after class would be helpful.

Imagine you were on an airplane, or rushing on a highway for a wedding. Sometimes we all figure out a little planning or wait, if no other options.

Yes, there is room for an exception, a child who is sick that day. But having many students needing to leave the classroom is a disruption for all students eager to learn and grow.

Hope you understand a teachers perspective. Thank you

All the best!

Thank you, Lilac!!

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 12:09 pm
amother DarkGray wrote:
I 1000% agree.
This is why I let them drink. I limit it to only drinking during quiet work. I think this is very reasonable.
In addition, I also let them go out one at a time.

What's the difference between quiet work and instruction?
Do you have the quiet work at the same time every day? Do you ever skip it? Do you have multiple quiet work times throughout the day?
Page 4 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics