Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Worried About Limited English
Previous  1  2

amother
Rose

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 2:29 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thank you so much!
Does anyone have good suggestions of books to teach my son science? Or writing? I'll be going to the library soon. Thank you

Okay, I think that a lot of the people responding are coming from a different background than your boys will be. I think you need to get inside their heads and work with what you have.

For the record, our family is yeshivish but lives OOT, partially because our hashkafos wouldn't fit with the in-town yeshivish schools that I know of. But I've found that to keep my boys interested enough to practice secular skills, I need to think like a yeshiva bachur (or yeshiva boy, when they're younger).

If you want them to be willing to read about science/history, buy them a subscription to Circle Magazine. That will pique their interest in certain subjects, and you can then take out non-fiction books that explore those subjects further at the library. Taking out a book on, say, atoms, when they have no interest, will just backfire. But if they seem interested in the atomic bomb, kids' books about the atomic bomb will give them information about atoms that they would otherwise never be willing to absorb.

Similarly, you want to tie writing into their own interests. I've found that yeshiva bochrim find writing to be important when it comes to giving a dvar Torah or making a siyum. Otherwise it seems "worthless" to them. So I'd encourage them to start by writing a paragraph on something that they've learned so that they can give it over to you and your guests (or to Bubby and Zaidy and the cousins) at the yom tov table. If they're open to it, you can show them how to use a topic sentence, several sentences to support it, and a conclusion. If not, at least get them used to speaking in public so that they will want to improve their writing skills down the road in order to do it again.

If they're interested in learning a subject, they will eventually put in the time and effort on their own to learn it. If you try shoving it down their throats while the school isn't emphasizing it, it will backfire.

mha3484

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 2:34 pm
amother Rose wrote:
Okay, I think that a lot of the people responding are coming from a different background than your boys will be. I think you need to get inside their heads and work with what you have.

For the record, our family is yeshivish but lives OOT, partially because our hashkafos wouldn't fit with the in-town yeshivish schools that I know of. But I've found that to keep my boys interested enough to practice secular skills, I need to think like a yeshiva bachur (or yeshiva boy, when they're younger).

If you want them to be willing to read about science/history, buy them a subscription to Circle Magazine. That will pique their interest in certain subjects, and you can then take out non-fiction books that explore those subjects further at the library. Taking out a book on, say, atoms, when they have no interest, will just backfire. But if they seem interested in the atomic bomb, kids' books about the atomic bomb will give them information about atoms that they would otherwise never be willing to absorb.

Similarly, you want to tie writing into their own interests. I've found that yeshiva bochrim find writing to be important when it comes to giving a dvar Torah or making a siyum. Otherwise it seems "worthless" to them. So I'd encourage them to start by writing a paragraph on something that they've learned so that they can give it over to you and your guests (or to Bubby and Zaidy and the cousins) at the yom tov table. If they're open to it, you can show them how to use a topic sentence, several sentences to support it, and a conclusion. If not, at least get them used to speaking in public so that they will want to improve their writing skills down the road in order to do it again.

If they're interested in learning a subject, they will eventually put in the time and effort on their own to learn it. If you try shoving it down their throats while the school isn't emphasizing it, it will backfire.

I agree with this. My 6th grade sons English teachers are really trying to make general studies toradik so the boys buy in and have better behavior.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics