Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Naming after a relative

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 4:09 pm
When a different living relative has the same name?

bsy

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 4:12 pm
I wouldn't

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 4:14 pm
If it's not a parent then yes I would. You can't possibly avoid every relative's name. And how far do you go? 3rd cousins? 10th cousins? Everyone from your shevet?

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 4:33 pm
bsy wrote:
I wouldn't

bsy and amother mustard are both right, imo. Depends on the circumstances. Not living direct ancestors.

bsy

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 4:46 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
bsy and amother mustard are both right, imo. Depends on the circumstances. Not living direct ancestors.

That's what I meant. If it's the same name as a living parent or grandparent, that's a hard no for me.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 4:50 pm
amother OP wrote:
When a different living relative has the same name?

It seems to me that it’s not an issue, as long as it’s bot a parent. Look at all the families that have multiple grandchildren named after the same relative.

amother
Tanzanite

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 5:02 pm
I just named my daughter a name that literally 5 other relatives have. And they have the same laat name too. Oh well! I like it and it's my kid and a family name (obviously)!

amother
Midnight

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 6:29 pm
We named DD after a grandmother and various other relatives also did, although we all picked different middle names to help differentiate between the cousins. We did not name a son after one particular grandfather because the name he was known by is the same as the name DH's only brother is known by and it felt too weird. We didn't name after another grandfather either because it's the same name as DH's father. There were other relatives to name after both grandfathers so it was fine.

amother
Daisy

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 6:43 pm
amother Tanzanite wrote:
I just named my daughter a name that literally 5 other relatives have. And they have the same laat name too. Oh well! I like it and it's my kid and a family name (obviously)!

On my husbands side, meaning all his siblings, we have one name that 6/7 siblings used (2 go by the full name, 3 go by the middle name, and one goes by the first name) one name that 3/7 siblings used (all go by the same nickname) and one name that 5/7 used (4 go by the same nickname, and one goes by the first name)
Most have the same last name (there are only 2 sisters) so it gets really confusing when everyone is together.

essie14

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 11:58 pm
My brother named his daughter my name because my SIL's grandmother had that name.
I only avoid the names of living parents and grandparents. You can't avoid every single relative's names.

Chickensoupprof

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 1:12 am
My husband sometimes says that he wants that he doesn't want his children have the same name as his nieces, nephews, and siblings because that is unfair or something... Even if he likes the name I find it silly. Luckily our Daas Torah told us that he has at least 5 grandchildren named after his father and that is no problem. DH finds it a problem.

Kiwi13

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 3:18 am
My son has the same middle name as my brother.

My aunt has the same first name as my sister. (My father named his daughter the same first name as his sister).

I think you'll get different answers based on different families and traditions (don't sefardim name after living relatives as an honor?) but I'm basically in the same boat as most of the other posters in this thread. As long as it's not the name of a parent or grandparent, I think it's fine.

But I'd still consider the feelings of the specific people involved. I knew my brother wouldn't care if his middle name (which he doesn't use) was also my son's middle name.

SG18

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 3:32 am
Kiwi13 wrote:
My son has the same middle name as my brother.

My aunt has the same first name as my sister. (My father named his daughter the same first name as his sister).

I think you'll get different answers based on different families and traditions (don't sefardim name after living relatives as an honor?) but I'm basically in the same boat as most of the other posters in this thread. As long as it's not the name of a parent or grandparent, I think it's fine.

But I'd still consider the feelings of the specific people involved. I knew my brother wouldn't care if his middle name (which he doesn't use) was also my son's middle name.

Sephardim do name after the living, as an honor. Naming after a living parent or grandparent is very special.

amother
Burgundy

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 3:51 am
SG18 wrote:
Sephardim do name after the living, as an honor. Naming after a living parent or grandparent is very special.

Some sephardim.

SG18

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 3:55 am
amother Burgundy wrote:
Some sephardim.

Of course. Everyone can do whatever they want- I didn't name my first after anyone, I would only give a certain name if it felt like my child's name, not just to name after someone. Just pointing out that different people have different minhagim Smile

amother
Daisy

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 5:26 am
Chickensoupprof wrote:
My husband sometimes says that he wants that he doesn't want his children have the same name as his nieces, nephews, and siblings because that is unfair or something... Even if he likes the name I find it silly. Luckily our Daas Torah told us that he has at least 5 grandchildren named after his father and that is no problem. DH finds it a problem.

I’m with your husband. I have one child who has the same name as any of their cousins, but they don’t go by the same name as everyone else.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names