Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Class doesn't stop talking !!
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 8:12 am
Hi! I work in a frum high school that has an issue with girls talking in general. I have done it a few years and it can be stressful and has ups and downs but usually I am okay.
This year I teach 9th and 11th grade
Things are going fine with 9th but my 11th graders have no self control and I can barely get a sentence out without being interrupted.
I have taught some of the girls in this class before and so they feel too comfortable with me.
Also they are a tough class.
But I am on the verge of quitting. I actually had some anxiety last week due to it and cried, something that isn't my typical behavior.

It's not even like outright chutzpah but pockets of kids talking in each corner.
Help! I need advice !

amother
Magnolia

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 8:18 am
Have assigned seats. Girls tend to choose seats near their close friends and they are more likely to shmooze with them. You might have to start a punishment system of losing points for disrupting.

amother
Dandelion

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 8:22 am
Start taking off points if they talk

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 8:24 am
A few girls won't care about point off because they are failing through high school anyway. But I am already taking off points for missing homework, not bringing their books to class... But maybe I will do that too.

amother
Acacia

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 8:26 am
Once you lose control it’s hard- but not impossible- to regain. they think of you as the chilled teacher but it’s too early in the year for this to start. you need to create boundaries. A couple of things I do…wait til the bell rings and walk in the classroom after them. This creates an announcement that teacher is here and everyone must be ready. I leave the door open and stand there until every girl is quietly standing at their desk. No smiling. The less you talk in the beginning the better. They will lean in to listen to what you are saying. Take attendance and stop talking if girls are talking. If there is a very chatty corner split them up and say I’m so sorry due to your talking I can’t treat you like mature hs students who get to choose their seats. This is a blow to them. They want to be treated with respect but they have to earn it. act more warmly to the students who are acting respectful and mature and the others will want in on that. Another thing. Attention spans are so short these days. create your lessons that you involve the girls a lot so it’s not a lecture. Ask a lot of questions even if they are very simple. They love to contribute. Create worksheets or class activities for them to work in pairs to break it up as well. Hatzlacha.

s1

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 8:30 am
Sympathies, I know what it’s like to have a chatty class!
Bribery for the ones who are being quiet - bring a bag of sweets or little chocolates and place them prominently on your desk to hand out to those being good
Make sure there are enough things for the girls to do - besides for just listening to you talk, get them to take turns reading, cutting and sticking, matching up phrases etc
Start a really interesting, controversial discussion that everyone will want to join, but only allow people to speak if they have listened to each other.
List on the Board exactly what you plan to do that lesson, stop when the room is too noisy, continue until break time if not finished during lesson time.
Hatzlocha!!

rachelli66

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 8:35 am
OP don't quit. 11th grade is just past being treated like kids but not yet adult behavior. Can you continue to speak even if some are bothering? It could be after the Chaggim the class will settle down.

amother
Navyblue

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 8:56 am
amother Acacia wrote:
Once you lose control it’s hard- but not impossible- to regain. they think of you as the chilled teacher but it’s too early in the year for this to start. you need to create boundaries. A couple of things I do…wait til the bell rings and walk in the classroom after them. This creates an announcement that teacher is here and everyone must be ready. I leave the door open and stand there until every girl is quietly standing at their desk. No smiling. The less you talk in the beginning the better. They will lean in to listen to what you are saying. Take attendance and stop talking if girls are talking. If there is a very chatty corner split them up and say I’m so sorry due to your talking I can’t treat you like mature hs students who get to choose their seats. This is a blow to them. They want to be treated with respect but they have to earn it. act more warmly to the students who are acting respectful and mature and the others will want in on that. Another thing. Attention spans are so short these days. create your lessons that you involve the girls a lot so it’s not a lecture. Ask a lot of questions even if they are very simple. They love to contribute. Create worksheets or class activities for them to work in pairs to break it up as well. Hatzlacha.

Collaborative learning works really well. Hatzlacha!

amother
Fern

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 8:58 am
What subject
Is this a class that you can have a chilled discussion or is there curriculum you need to get through in order to pass regents, etc.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 9:02 am
amother Fern wrote:
What subject
Is this a class that you can have a chilled discussion or is there curriculum you need to get through in order to pass regents, etc.

It's business math so BH not a regents subject. Definitely have discussions weaved in because of the nature of the class.
I like all your ideas! Keep them coming ! Thanks !

amother
Fern

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 9:16 am
amother OP wrote:
It's business math so BH not a regents subject. Definitely have discussions weaved in because of the nature of the class.
I like all your ideas! Keep them coming ! Thanks !

Have each student teach the class
Everyday a different student
That’s for their grade
They need to give a mini lesson with lesson plan
And then give a small quiz, take home and grade and bring it back by the end of the week

Maybe they’ll realize how hard is it to teach with all the talking
Also it could be fun

amother
Thistle

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 9:39 am
Switch their seats around - put the biggest talkers up front. Have the troublemakers read out loud. Call on them with questions. Give extra assignments to the instigators. They will get the message that they can’t start up.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 9:53 am
amother OP wrote:
A few girls won't care about point off because they are failing through high school anyway. But I am already taking off points for missing homework, not bringing their books to class... But maybe I will do that too.

Do you have a mentor or older colleague you could discuss this matter with her? What about the parents? IMHO failing high school is a serious matter and most parents who take an interest in their children's education should be very concerned.

Sewsew_mom

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 10:18 am
Can you change the classroom setting around and sit in a circle and you stand in the front or middle? Leaves less room for chatting and more room for cooperation.
Also it's fun to sit in a circle.
Pls don't try to gain respect by controlling and expecting respect.
Earn it! It's not easy.. But it can be done.

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 10:27 am
Gather data so you know exactly who the perpetrators are, and then use Ross Greene's CPS method with them during their lunch break. Preferably one on one, but small groups can work too. Don't forget to follow through, even if the situation improves!

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 10:40 am
I'm so sorry you are dealing with this. I'm many years out of school but I remember that my 11th grade class was horrible to our math teacher. They would just ignore her and shmooze and sometimes even turn their desks around with their backs to the front of the class.
I happened to have loved math so the teacher would just end up teaching the few of us that were interested.
I don't know what would have helped. But your post brought me back memories.

nicole81

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 10:43 am
Firstly, don't expect to talk more than 10-15 min total in the class. The rest should be independent and collaborative work time. Do you have a good relationship with the girls? I'd speak with them on one one about how it's disruptive and harming everyone's learning, plus harming you because of the effort you put in, you losing your train of thought, etc.

If you feel up to it, I would hold a restorative circle with the class to restore the balance needed to learn and make sure everyone's needs are met. These are big girls and things like rewards and punishments are flat out ridiculous and won't help create lasting change, not help the students develop better habits intrinsically. At this point in their academic careers, we should work on developing the girls' social emotional skills, empathy, and intrinsic motivation to learn, rather than dangling candy or points over their heads in an attempt to accomplish some short term goal.

Lots of weird teaching advice on here that's developmentally inappropriate.

Last edited by nicole81 on Sun, Sep 18 2022, 10:45 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Seablue

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 10:45 am
I teach 9th and 11th as well so I can relate to the 11th graders feeling comfortable enough to speak straight through, something the eager 9th graders wouldn't be doing yet at this point in the year.

In 11th grade, I expect less proper decorum, but I "discipline" by talking to them as adults.

In 11th grade I wouldn't get petty with taking points off. It's degrading to yourself and not very effective for them. I would call over the biggest talker and privately talk to her very directly: You're talking, you're losing out, but so are the other girls. This cannot continue. Is there anything I can do to help you? (Hear what she says, see if there is any collaboration to be done. Probably the kid will just shrug her shoulders, in which case, I continue with,) Something has to change, so I will need to send you out if you keep disrupting.

And then give the principal a heads up that the girl cannot be sent right back to your class. It'll serve as a warning/deterrence for the rest of the shmoozers.

But also, keep the pace of your lesson flowing. Have discussions, but have a pre-determined signal for when discussion ends, such as when you raise your hand.

nicole81

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 10:48 am
amother Seablue wrote:

But also, keep the pace of your lesson flowing. Have discussions, but have a pre-determined signal for when discussion ends, such as when you raise your hand.

Yes also be very planned out down to the minute, have clear routines for everything, practice them with your class, and if you chose to do a sort of "reset" make sure everyone is clear on what the expectations are and their part in them.

Sewsew_mom

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 11:02 am
amother Acacia wrote:

When I was in 10th grade my math teacher used to stand by the door and wait until everyone stood up for her. She was young and even if I recall still single at the time.
I wasn't a disruptive or bad kid at all but I felt forced standing up for her when she had no reason to be respected (I was young obviously) so I didn't stand up. I got sent to the principle and till this day I think that is the most absurd thing to do in a class. Girls won't respect you more when you demand respect.
Please don't use these tactics in a class you already have a hard time with, just makes you look like a fool who has lost control.
(luckily my principle was seemingly normal and I remember her saying I was a hundred percent right and I'm pretty sure she spoke to the teacher after-but it's many many years so details aren't clear anymore)
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics