Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
9th grade biology

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 25 2022, 12:03 am
Anyone teach 9th grade biology? Looking for curriculum and guidelines, some teaching ideas, anything would be helpful.

Also anyone know biology teaching resources online?
TIA!

amother
Ballota

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 8:18 am
Hi, it's my third year teaching it. I teach the NY regents course.. I find the living environment boosters a great review for important information but it isn't enough. I actually started out with a girls notes from a previous year at first to see what her teacher stressed (until I lost them mid year lol)

amother
DarkYellow

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 8:35 am
I teach the regents course in NY. I use the boosters as a base and create my own slides and use the board , short video clips, etc. I give out a lot of regents questions for hw and we go over them. They need to learn skills how to answer these questions. Critical thinking, reading comp, vocab. We work on all these skills. I orally quiz them every day on past material. we also do worksheets on what we learned. I teach with a lot of analogies to help them understand.

amother
Lotus

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 9:30 am
I don’t teach at all, but please teach the girls ACCURATE facts about reproduction.

(Today’s post: I’m pregnant, what lubricant can I use that won’t hurt the baby. Answer - your cervix is closed. Basic bio)

shaqued_almond

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 9:32 am
Did you check Khan academy?

#Happymom

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 10:43 am
I teach bio in the uk. There's a website called tes.com which is full of ready made lessons. It's brilliant! Not sure if the curriculum is anything remotely the same, but it might be worth taking a look

amother
Arcticblue

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 10:52 am
amother Lotus wrote:
I don’t teach at all, but please teach the girls ACCURATE facts about reproduction.

(Today’s post: I’m pregnant, what lubricant can I use that won’t hurt the baby. Answer - your cervix is closed. Basic bio)

This is only somewhat true... Lubricant won't get to the baby, but it can irritate your private part and cervix which are already more sensitive in pregnancy, and actually it's better to use water based lubricant for that reason
Maybe you needed better bio too 😉

amother
Acacia

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 11:07 am
amother Lotus wrote:

A unit on reproduction is not a s*x ed class. They aren't going to cover things like using lubricant or such. Just anatomy and the basic facts about how things work, the science aspect of it. Honestly it would be inappropriate otherwise. That sort of stuff would taught in actual s*x ed or Health class, even in public schools, not a regular biology class.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics