Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Please help me try to get a job!
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 11:35 am
I am an active 60 year old and although I still have 2 more kids to marry off I am feeling the empty nest, as they are not little anymore.
I also feel I need to help with the income as my husband’s job is on the line now.
But what can I do? I went to seminary (40 years ago) and before I got married I taught 3rd and first grades. I was a pretty good teacher but I haven’t been one since then.
After I got married we owned a dress store and I was a pretty good saleslady. That lasted 10 years.
Now I don’t work. I love to bake challah and I bake sourdough bread as well. Is there a demand for that?
I might be interested in working with young children and help with reading. I do not have a degree but I have patience and I love kids.
I search the classifieds in Hamodia and Torah Times and the likes, but I don’t see something appropriate for me. Probably those appropriate jobs are more the “word of mouth” type.
Any ideas?

amother
Junglegreen

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 11:38 am
Do you like dogs? Dogsitting using Rover.com could be a good option.

Bubbles77

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 11:40 am
Where do you live? Depends a lot on location!
Sounds like you have a bunch of potentially good options though Smile

zimgee

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 11:43 am
There are many jobs out there that dont require a degree. Tutoring in a school, selling sour dough bread and yes there are sales ladys out there around your age! You Just have to have confidence and go for it. You'll do great!

amother
Aster

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 11:44 am
Preschool assistant might work for you.

amother
Bone

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 11:46 am
Fitness trainer you can get certified online, you wrote that your active this would be lot's of fun. You can get a job working for a special ed agency teaching dance/exercise to kids or adults with disabilities.

Or activities director for a nursing home or assisted living the pay is decent and the job is fun.

What about working for a non profit in an office doing secretary type work?

Or school arts and crafts/baking teacher?

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 11:54 am
Apply to local school’s resource room, if they want you to have some sort of schooling there are courses you can take on teaching reading.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 12:16 pm
amother Junglegreen wrote:
Do you like dogs? Dogsitting using Rover.com could be a good option.

Nice!
But I do have a fear of dogs. My mother said a dog jumped on me in my stroller when I was two and I had a phobia ever since…

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 12:17 pm
Bubbles77 wrote:
Where do you live? Depends a lot on location!
Sounds like you have a bunch of potentially good options though Smile

Silly me for forgetting to mention that!
I live in Boro Park.

amother
Ebony

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 12:17 pm
Apply to schools. Put up a resume and list yourself as patient, good with children, life experience of helping children with reading, can work in a resource room, as a substitute teacher or as assistant in a preschool setting.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 12:18 pm
zimgee wrote:
There are many jobs out there that dont require a degree. Tutoring in a school, selling sour dough bread and yes there are sales ladys out there around your age! You Just have to have confidence and go for it. You'll do great!

So my question is how to find these jobs?
And can I just advertise I make sourdough?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 12:20 pm
amother Aster wrote:
Preschool assistant might work for you.

I was thinking of that! Start with a low job and maybe build myself up with time and experience….

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 12:21 pm
amother Ebony wrote:
Apply to schools. Put up a resume and list yourself as patient, good with children, life experience of helping children with reading, can work in a resource room, as a substitute teacher or as assistant in a preschool setting.

Thank you! I may do that….

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 12:22 pm
amother Bone wrote:
Fitness trainer you can get certified online, you wrote that your active this would be lot's of fun. You can get a job working for a special ed agency teaching dance/exercise to kids or adults with disabilities.

Or activities director for a nursing home or assisted living the pay is decent and the job is fun.

What about working for a non profit in an office doing secretary type work?

Or school arts and crafts/baking teacher?

Definitely good ideas!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 12:25 pm
Apply to local school’s resource room, if they want you to have some sort of schooling there are courses you can take on teaching reading.[/quote]

Are there? I would definitely want to take a course. I look for ads but don’t know where to find these courses.

zigi

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 12:37 pm
Is there a jobs whatsapp group for boropark?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 1:08 pm
zigi wrote:
Is there a jobs whatsapp group for boropark?

I’d love to join if there was one!

amother
Pansy

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 1:12 pm
Many school are desperate for teachers these days. Call around to some that interest you and ask.

amother
Geranium

Post Tue, Sep 20 2022, 10:31 pm
Any sites/groups to look out for new jobs?

motheroftoo

Post Tue, Sep 20 2022, 10:35 pm
Did you try contacting the swift staffing hiring agency, macherusa,yidjob, poel group, the hire team and others?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics