Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Left out table spoon salt in challah Dough

mother1231

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 1:51 pm
Just realized instead of 2 tbsp salt I only put 1. I already braided . Should I combine all doughs again and add in salt and remix it and rebraid ?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 1:54 pm
Leave it the way it is. You can add an everything bagel topping on top if you'd like to add more savory.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 1:56 pm
I would redo the whole thing again. Any bread without salt isn't tasty.

mother1231

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 2:10 pm
So I should make a whole new batch or you mean add in the missing tbs and remix ? Thanks

amother
Strawberry

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 2:21 pm
Any recipe I’ve made always calls for 1 T in 5 or 6 lb. I wouldn’t worry

amother
Electricblue

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 2:24 pm
Did you put in any salt? If not, I would dissolve the salt in a bit of water and try to mix it in. Add a little more flour if it gets too sticky.

kenz

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 2:24 pm
Definitely do not throw out the whole thing! It may taste a little different than you’re used to but it will be fine.

mother1231

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 3:00 pm
Thanks for all your advice . I baked them and made a small bilka for me to taste. I actually added a dash of salt to the egg wash . Tasted not like my regular . I guess because it was missing half the amount of salt that was supposed to go in it was ok and didn’t feel like it was totally missing the ingredient of salt ..

zaq

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 3:09 pm
Too late now, obviously, but for future reference, there's nothing wrong with challah baked without salt. The salt adds flavor, of course, but its real role in breadmaking is to control, I.e., slow down, the fermentation. Without salt, the dough will rise faster and have a less complex flavor, supposedly. You can counteract this by punching the dough down mid-cycle and letting it rise again. You can also let it rise in the fridge; the cool temperature will slow down the fermentation. I've left out salt on purpose for low-sodium diets and found that, while the taste was somewhat more bland than usual, the challah was fine.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics